From: ttorneby on

I'm having huge problems finishing a plan I'm working on. Maybe someone
here has some clever ideas.

To take it from the beginning: This is a part of some school work, and I
have a number of tasks, and for each of the tasks I have details on what
the budget is, and the planned duration. At a specific point in time I
have details on the completion rate of each task, as well as the money
spent, and the actual duration. From these figures, I want MS Project to
calculate figures such as BCWS, ACWP, BCWP, EAC, SPI and CPI.

My problem is that I have not found a place to enter the budget cost for
each task, without having to assign resources and all this. I've only
found two coloums containing the word "budget", but neither of them
allows me to enter values. Is there not a simple way to do this?

Also, it seems like "actual duration" and "% work completed follow each
other. F.ex. on a specific task, 13 out of 16 weeks are spent, but the
work is only 75% completed. MS Project doesn't seem to accept this.

I've attached a screeshot of what I'm working on, in case it might be at
help.

Any help on this matter is highly appreciated!

|Filename: screenshot.png |
|Download: http://forums.techarena.in/attachment.php?attachmentid=11002|

ttorneby
ttorneby's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/227766.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/1343078.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Trevor Rabey on
It seems that you have been inserting all of these fields into the Entry
Table, and it is fairly un-readable. Where's the bars?
It is better to leave the Entry Table as it is defined with the original
columns, and switch from the Entry Table to whatever table is of interest
(Cost, Work, EV etc).
To have costs you must either assign resources which have costs to tasks,
or, alternatively, you must assign a Fixed Cost (see the Cost Table).
Have you set a status date?
Have you saved a baseline?
Have you seen the Tracking Gantt View?
Have you seen the Tracking Table?
Are you familar with the Tracking Toolbar?
Have you updated the progress properly, starting with the Actual Start,
Actual Duration, Actual Finish?
Have you been entering % Complete or % Work Complete (wrong).

Hope this helps.
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: "Steve House" sjhouse at hotmail dot on
The "budget" Project refers to when calculating EV is the timephased
baseline cost data.

You are also confusing "% Complete" with "% Work Complete" - they are in
fact two entirely different and separate metrics. "% Complete" refers
strictly to duration, the passage of time, and carries no information about
how much work has been done nor how much deliverable has been completed. It
is impossible that at the end of 13 weeks into a 16 week duration task for
the "% Complete" be 75%. Assuming that no scheduled work time has been
missed, at the end of Week 13 into a 16 week task, the % complete is 13/16
or 81.25% by definition; it can be nothing else. If by "75% Complete" you
mean as much deliverable has not been achieved by the end of Week 13 as you
had expected, you need to revise the estimated total duration upward from
the original 16 weeks. If you are 75% complete after working for 13 weeks,
the total duration needs to be 17.33 weeks. The "% Work Complete" MIGHT be
81.25%, if the work contour is flat, but it could also be some wildly
different number from that if it is contoured.
--
Steve House
MS Project Trainer & Consultant