From: slate_leeper on
Just a note: I believe the oldversions.com link posted is not for the
pro version, just the free version.

Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.
Join or donate to the NRA today!
http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR014887

The true measure of a people's freedom is whether they are armed or not. - Aristotle
From: slate_leeper on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:01:52 -0800, Cronos <cronos(a)sphere.invalid>
wrote:

>ASCII wrote:
>
>> Are you talking about Sygate personal firewall pro?
>> The net is full of sources for that.
>
>But isn't it recommended not to use that firewall because it has a
>security exploit? I seem to remember reading that and is why I stopped
>using it long ago.

Never heard anything about such a problem. The real problem was that
Norton bought it to kill it. Can't have a better product out there as
competition, you know.

From: chris on
"Cronos" wrote

> ASCII wrote:
>
> > Are you talking about Sygate personal firewall pro?
> > The net is full of sources for that.

nah, some old versions and the pro version isn't free.
Most links are not for the pro version.
Maybe rapidshare.

> But isn't it recommended not to use that firewall because it has a
> security exploit? I seem to remember reading that and is why I stopped
> using it long ago.

one security exploit? A few more but it is still the best firewall for
Win98SE. Sygate does work with WinXP. It is a standalone firewall and
not like Norton, Comodo and all the others? part of a complete computer
security system nightmare and you don't have to buy a new PC after an
uninstall. Use a router for internet attacks and iptables for outbound
control.

From: Cronos on
slate_leeper wrote:

> Never heard anything about such a problem. The real problem was that
> Norton bought it to kill it. Can't have a better product out there as
> competition, you know.

Nope, I'm fairly certain it did have an exploit in it's last released
version.
From: Cronos on
chris wrote:

> one security exploit? A few more but it is still the best firewall for
> Win98SE. Sygate does work with WinXP. It is a standalone firewall and
> not like Norton, Comodo and all the others? part of a complete computer
> security system nightmare and you don't have to buy a new PC after an
> uninstall. Use a router for internet attacks and iptables for outbound
> control.

I haven't used Win9x in ages and the last time I tried to install it it
was NFG due to not having drivers for newer hardware. I thought iptables
is Linux only? Why use iptables when the Windows firewall is fine and is
only outbound rules anyway unless I go to advanced mode?