From: chris on
"slate_leeper" wrote about Sygate

> >But isn't it recommended not to use that firewall because it has a
> >security exploit? I seem to remember reading that and is why I stopped
> >using it long ago.
>

> Never heard anything about such a problem. The real problem was that
> Norton bought it to kill it. Can't have a better product out there as
> competition, you know.

Some problems are:
if you use a local proxy for internet access Sygate's localhost checking is
bad.
Sometimes a blocked IP in Sygates advanced rules isn't always blocked.
Application settings sometimes disappear.

From: chris on
"Cronos" wrote

> I thought iptables is Linux only?

you are correct.
I thought that iptables had a Windows clone, but I
couldn't find anything.

> Why use iptables when the Windows firewall is fine and is
> only outbound rules anyway unless I go to advanced mode?

how good the Windows firewall is is an item for
comp.security.firewalls.
There has been discussions in the past.

From: Boris Badenov on
chris wrote:

> how good the Windows firewall is is an item for
> comp.security.firewalls.
> There has been discussions in the past.

I've been using it exclusively since XP and haven't had any issues yet
so it is good enough for me. I have a router with Linux software on it too.