From: Ravi Roy on
Hi

I am installing new debian machine debian 5.0 - 64-bit. Everything goes
well; as a part of installation using presseding, I am installing new kernel
2.6.33.3 into this machine, but I can not make to boot the maching using
this kernel. It only boots from old kernel.

Can somebody help here on this ?

Regards
Ravi
From: Jordan Metzmeier on

On 8/13/10, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:37:04 -0400 (EDT), Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> > On 08/13/2010 09:47 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:
> As for the OP, please provide more information, such as:

My apologies for being newbie; would try to answer questions; some might
not be in right
terminology of linux..

(1) Where did you get your 2.6.33 kernel? Backports? Experimental?
> Custom built? etc. How did you install it?

it is custom built kernel, compiled by a colleague some time ago, it is
basically a debian package which is installed
Installation is being triggered as late command in preseed.cfg

(2) What bootloader do you use? grub? (version 1) grub-pc (version 2),
> lilo? extlinux? etc.

I use grub version 0.97

(3) What is the contents of /etc/kernel-img.conf?

Will try installation again and let you know.

(4) What is the contents of your boot loader configuration file?
> (/etc/lilo.conf for lilo, /boot/grub/menu.lst for grub version 1,
> etc.)

menu.lst contains two entries for kernel 2.6.26.2, which boots perfectly.

(5) What scripts exist in /etc/kernel/postinst.d, /etc/kernel/postrm.d,
> and /etc/initramfs/post-update.d?

Have to try to install it again and will let you know.

(6) Are symbolic links used for the kernel, such as vmlinuz,
> and vmlinuz.old? And what about the initial RAM file systems?
> Are symbolic links used for them too? (initrd.img, initrd.img.old)
> If so, where are these symbolic links? (/, /boot, etc.)

When I boot with old kernel under /boot, i can not see initrd.img for
2.6.33.3;
means it is missing nor links exists.

(7) What exactly are the symptoms of failure when you attempt to
boot the 2.6.33 kernel?

At installation time it does not give any error and system reboots and
boots with old kernel.

I think first issue is initrd.img is missing for 2.6.33.3 and that is the
reason menu list also not being updated.

Thanks!

Ravi

listmaster(a)lists.debian.org
Archive: