From: Karl E. Peterson on
C. Kevin Provance wrote:
> Somewhere in my archive I had some VB3 code that could make API calls to 32
> bit libraries (specifically to do the tray icon thing).

That was probably the CALL32.DLL library? I have a copy of it here, if
anyone's interested. Uh, nevermind, looks like it's out in the wild
all over the place:

http://www.google.com/search?q=call32

It worked. Very well.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Helmut Meukel on

"Ralph" <nt_consulting64(a)yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Something else... I've forgot just when, but didn't one have to
> deliberately
> save VB 'source' files as text, otherwise VB saved its files in a binary
> format. I doubt those old pcode files would load into VB6 (????).
>
> -ralph

That's VB3 default: save binary
After I had once a corrupt binary file and lost a complex form with many
controls on it, I switched to text file modus.
IIRC, you need VB3 to open the binary files. (and save them as text).

I personally had VB4 but discarded it after one try. The VB3 app I
used for the test, run quite fast in VB3 but dead slow in VB4 (both
16 and 32 bit). So I finally converted my apps from VB3 to VB5.
Most problems converting to 32 bit gave 3rd party VBX's.
For some was no 32 bit upgrade available.
For others, like APEX's TrueGrid Pro the replacement was totally
different, not one line of code could be reused.

With the Microsoft controls I had no such problems.
API calls could be quite problematic.

Helmut.

From: Paul Clement on
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:53:18 -0800, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

� Ralph wrote:
� > Paul Clement wrote:
� >>
� >> Not really sure what you're getting at. I used to use this COM out of
� >> process thunking mechanism all the time back in the days of 16 and
� >> 32-bit VB 4.0, especially when I needed to use a 16-bit DLL library.
� >> As a matter of fact I distinctly remember automating 32-bit Office
� >> apps from 16-bit VB.
� >
� > I don't believe for a second you aren't sure what I was getting at. <g>
� >
� > However, who am I to argue with two such distinguished individuals. (Both of
� > whom are in agreement for once! How scary is that?)

� You think *you're* scared??? <bg>

Yeah, just think of how scary it would be to be able to do all this interop stuff with Visual Basic
..NET. You could even write new VSM columns about it...that is, once you're ready for it. ;-)

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Paul Clement wrote:
> Yeah, just think of how scary it would be to be able to do all this interop
> stuff with Visual Basic .NET. You could even write new VSM columns about
> it...that is, once you're ready for it. ;-)

My sense is there isn't much of an audience. The ClassicVB stuff is
definitely driving more traffic.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
| That was probably the CALL32.DLL library? I have a copy of it here, if
| anyone's interested. Uh, nevermind, looks like it's out in the wild
| all over the place:
|
| http://www.google.com/search?q=call32
|
| It worked. Very well.

You made me go look! <g>

Yes, the thunk DLL was call32.dll. It did work like a charm, but as I said
earlier, I never got the chance to use it. VB4 sucked so bad it became a
consideration for future dev. But then VB5 came around which pushed me to
drop the VB3 16 bit stuff, or dev for it.