From: Tad McClellan on
Ian <ianaturner(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I won't be coming back

Thank you for improving our newsgroup.

--
Tad McClellan SGML consulting
tadmc(a)augustmail.com Perl programming
Fort Worth, Texas
From: Brian McCauley on
On Jan 19, 1:02 pm, "Cloink" <Cloink_Frigg...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Look Brian clever clogs McCauley, I spent hours trawling the web, don't
> come your "You haven't tried hard enough," sneering down your nose at
> me. The FAQ. THE faq. Which one? I frequently ask myself "Why o
> why?" but I don't think you meant that FAQ.

Sorry about that. As others have pointed out "The FAQ" (without
further qualification) in a Perl newsgroup means "The Perl FAQ".
Sometimes we forget that this is not as blinding obvious to everyone as
it seems to us.

> I am encoding using
> standardised javascript functions. I searched on those functions. I
> found nothing useful.

I think I've missed something here? What was it you were looking for? A
description of what those functions do? That's what you appeared to be
asking. You were asking a question about Javascript in a Perl
newsgroup.

You also asked for a Perl function that was the reverse - and that you
were promptly given in another branch of this thread by Michele Dondi
(with further clarification from me).

> Sorry if I used the wrong terminolgy when I said W3C,

Er? Who said you were wrong?

http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html

> Do you really need a link to the ECMAscript v3 definition of
> encodeURI/encodeURIComponent/decodeblahblah when you can look it up in
> the Rhino book?

What makes you think I have the Rhino book? Anyhow I can look them up
on the ECMA website and that does appear to answer your question. I'm a
little bemused that you are criticising me for not bothering to make
the trivial effort to look up the exact same information that you were
seeking. If it's trivial for me why should it be non-trivial for you?

> So if that's
> the way that javascript encodes it, bearing in mind that javascript
> communicates http requests with Perl a zillion times a day on the
> tinterweb, how come I'm finding it so hard to find a reference to a
> Perl function that decodes via the reverse algorithm?

Dunno, why you found it hard so find. Like I said it's a FAQ.

> Talking of algorithms, the only almost-useful bit of your reply doesn't
> actually explain the algorithm by which one reaches xC3xA9 from u00E9.
> Which would've been nice.

Sorry, yes, guilty as charged. I only gave you the _name_ of the
algorithm "utf-8" (as, of course, does the description
encodeURIComponent on the ECMA site and the description of
international URI encoding on the W3C site).

I accept that it would have been a good idea to have included a pointer
to an explaination of utf-8. (It would of course have been wasteful to
have pasted the whole explaination into usenet).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utf8

However I only feel very sighly guilty about this. Putting "utf8" or
"utf-8" into google and hitting "I feel lucky" takes me directly to the
Wikipedia entry.

From: Brian McCauley on
On Jan 22, 9:12 am, "Ian" <ianatur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[ rudeness ]

> NONE of you actually came up with the answer, did you?).

> [..] don't bother with [...] replies, I won't be coming back to
> read them)

Well the OP isn't comming back (and we won't loose sleep over that) but
just for my own sanity would any on-lookers like to verify that where
weren't, in fact, any questions that the OP asked in this thread that
weren't answered by several people.

I'm fairly sure my first two posts in this thread answered everything
the OP asked and more. Can anyone imagine how the OP could justify the
assertion "NONE of you actually came up with the answer". Sometimes
people get like this because they expect to be spoon-fed the answer,
but in this case even that doesn't explain it because I _did_
spoon-feed him the answer:

use Encode;
use URI::Escape qw(uri_unescape);
my $decoded = decode_utf8 uri_unescape $encoded;

From: Charlton Wilbur on

BMcC> I'm fairly sure my first two posts in this thread answered
BMcC> everything the OP asked and more. Can anyone imagine how the
BMcC> OP could justify the assertion "NONE of you actually came up
BMcC> with the answer". Sometimes people get like this because
BMcC> they expect to be spoon-fed the answer, but in this case
BMcC> even that doesn't explain it because I _did_ spoon-feed him
BMcC> the answer: [snip answer]

I've seen this happen often; someone asks a basic question, and one
person spoon-feeds an answer while others admonish him for not
checking the FAQ; the person focuses on the admonishment and
completely misses the answer.

Alternately, the OP was a clueless twit, incapable of recognizing an
answer even when spoon-fed to him. Given how he responded, either
theory works.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
cwilbur(a)chromatico.net
From: Mark Donovan on
On 1/23/07 14:05, "Charlton Wilbur" <cwilbur(a)chromatico.net> wrote:

> BMcC> I'm fairly sure my first two posts in this thread answered
> BMcC> everything the OP asked and more. Can anyone imagine how the
> BMcC> OP could justify the assertion "NONE of you actually came up
> BMcC> with the answer". Sometimes people get like this because
> BMcC> they expect to be spoon-fed the answer, but in this case
> BMcC> even that doesn't explain it because I _did_ spoon-feed him
> BMcC> the answer: [snip answer]
>
> I've seen this happen often; someone asks a basic question, and one
> person spoon-feeds an answer while others admonish him for not
> checking the FAQ; the person focuses on the admonishment and
> completely misses the answer.
>
> Alternately, the OP was a clueless twit, incapable of recognizing an
> answer even when spoon-fed to him. Given how he responded, either
> theory works.

Charlton and others,

I followed-up on this problem by e-mail and your first guess is close to
what happened. Cloink had a perl code problem with URI-escaped, UTF-8
encoded Unicode, which included a tie-in with JavaScript. He asked his
friend, Ian, about it. Ian knows JavaScript, but doesn't know perl. Ian
suggested clpmisc.

Brian answered Cloink's question twice. One answer was a reply to Cloink's
post; and a second answer (actually posted first), which included a clear
three-line solution, was a reply to Michele's post. Brian's best answer was
two levels down from Cloink's question. Brian's direct reply to Cloink's
question never did get around to the three-line answer.

What Cloink and Ian saw was Brian's answer that replied directly to Cloink's
first post. It told Cloink that his answer was in the "FAQ," and then said
that Cloink should provide a link to any quoted standard, etc.

As you guessed, Charlton, Cloink and Ian had no idea which "FAQ" they should
check. It might be a newsgroup FAQ, or something related to... well, they
were both confused.

Cloink felt put-off because he was told to post a link to a standard.
However, when he got a reply, which was posted directly to his question, he
was referred to a mysterious "FAQ." Brian's reply had no link and no
indication of where Cloink should look for for the FAQ. Cloink replied and
the discussion went downhill from there.

After a few rounds of reply and counter-reply, Ian posted an indignant
remark of his own. Cloink had been asked, "Are you really that dense?", etc.
Ian felt he was responding in the same tone as the replies that Cloink had
received.

It's quite possible Cloink will never return to clpmisc; it's almost certain
that Ian won't be back... but mostly because Ian doesn't use perl in any
case. His remark about perl being "niche" simply confirmed his prejudice
against perl based on what happened to Cloink's question. Remarks that Ian's
departure will improve the newsgroup have missed the point.

--
Mark