From: John Holmes on
Kadaitcha Man "contributed" in alt.os.windows-xp:

> Grinder, ye beslubbering tinker, a slippery and subtle knave, ye
> dripped:
>
>> Sjouke Burry wrote:

>>> Or choose on that page "ask me".
>>> Then you can do the install(indicated by a yellow tag on the bottom
>>> line)when you are ready for it.
>>
>> That's the option I have selected. Occassionally, though, it will
>> automatically update something on shutdown.
>
> Yes, well, Sjouke Burry is a fuckwit.

He's Dutch, right?
;-)

--
<snip>

From: Grover on
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:59:59 +0100, Peter
<pete.ivesAll_stRESS(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <uop7b5la1pqmagsq39psddnhkem8aemit8(a)4ax.com>,
>grover(a)somewhere.net says...
>> Windows XP SP3
>>
>> If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the option
>> to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the shutdown
>> icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown choice, XP
>> proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do not turn off
>> computer..."
>>
>> As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
>> the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the update
>> process") - then the power went off!
>>
>> Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
>> Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
>> it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
>> lost.
>>
>> Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
>> machine to shut down - period.
>>
>> Thanks for help and comments
>>
>> Grov
>>

>Somehow I doubt there is. I tried to find a solution to this issue a
>while back without success. I just pay close attention to the shutdown
>choices to look for that shield to be displayed and make sure that I
>choose to shutdown without installing updates when I see it. After
>that, the next time I boot up I go straight to the M$ update website and
>install from there because guaranteed the option to install those
>updates whilst the computer is running never appears and only rears its
>ugly little head at every shutdown.

Thanks to all for comments.

Peter - how do you get a choice to shutdown without installing
updates? Seems to be automatic - I have no choices...Standby, Shut
Off, or Restart. The shutdown button is the one that displays the
small "shield" as part of the button...

Grov
From: Steve Urbach on
On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 02:16:25 GMT, "Kadaitcha Man" <anon(a)no.email> wrote:

>Sjouke Burry, ye pea-brained barnacle, down, down to hell, and say I
>send thee thither, ye sent forth:
>
>> Rudy wrote:
>>> "Grover" <grover(a)somewhere.net> wrote in message

>>> You should be able to turn updates off by going to 'control panel',
>>> 'Security Center' and turning off automatic updates.
>>>
>>> Rudy
>>>

>> Or choose on that page "ask me".
>> Then you can do the install(indicated by a yellow tag on the bottom
>> line)when you are ready for it.
>
>You complete and utter know-nothing fuckwit. When that option is selected
>there are some updates that will install themselves and reboot the machine
>when nobody is looking.
>
>Perhaps you should learn your subject matter before you post about it, you
>retarded little fuckwipe.
This is one of the few times I agree with your answer 100%
From: relic on
Grover wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:59:59 +0100, Peter
> <pete.ivesAll_stRESS(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> In article <uop7b5la1pqmagsq39psddnhkem8aemit8(a)4ax.com>,
>> grover(a)somewhere.net says...
>>> Windows XP SP3
>>>
>>> If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the
>>> option to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the
>>> shutdown icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown
>>> choice, XP proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do
>>> not turn off computer..."
>>>
>>> As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
>>> the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the
>>> update process") - then the power went off!
>>>
>>> Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
>>> Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
>>> it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
>>> lost.
>>>
>>> Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
>>> machine to shut down - period.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help and comments
>>>
>>> Grov
>>>

>> Somehow I doubt there is. I tried to find a solution to this issue a
>> while back without success. I just pay close attention to the
>> shutdown choices to look for that shield to be displayed and make
>> sure that I choose to shutdown without installing updates when I see
>> it. After that, the next time I boot up I go straight to the M$
>> update website and install from there because guaranteed the option
>> to install those updates whilst the computer is running never
>> appears and only rears its ugly little head at every shutdown.
>
> Thanks to all for comments.
>
> Peter - how do you get a choice to shutdown without installing
> updates? Seems to be automatic - I have no choices...Standby, Shut
> Off, or Restart. The shutdown button is the one that displays the
> small "shield" as part of the button...
>
> Grov

Read the text that accompanies it.

From: Hodges on
On Sep 19, 5:02 pm, "relic" <rel...(a)cjb.net> wrote:
> Grover wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:59:59 +0100, Peter
> > <pete.ivesAll_stR...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >> In article <uop7b5la1pqmagsq39psddnhkem8aem...(a)4ax.com>,
> >> gro...(a)somewhere.net says...

> >> Somehow I doubt there is. I tried to find a solution to this issue a
> >> while back without success.  I just pay close attention to the
> >> shutdown choices to look for that shield to be displayed and make
> >> sure that I choose to shutdown without installing updates when I see
> >> it.  After that, the next time I boot up I go straight to the M$
> >> update website and install from there because guaranteed the option
> >> to install those updates whilst the computer is running never
> >> appears and only rears its ugly little head at every shutdown.
>
> > Thanks to all for comments.
>
> > Peter - how do you get a choice to shutdown without installing
> > updates? Seems to be automatic - I have no choices...Standby, Shut
> > Off, or Restart. The shutdown button is the one that displays the
> > small "shield" as part of the button...
>
> > Grov
>
> Read the text that  accompanies it.

Assuming this is XP Pro (not sure if home/media center comes with
group policy object editor)

Go to Start/Run
Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
Look under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
Components/Windows Update

The first option is "Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down'
option in Shut Down Windows dialog box". Double-click that and click
enabled.