From: Pfsszxt on

Apparently, as part of an auto-upgrade deposit, MS has
added some new nag screens. They say they're part
of Windows Security". For example --- the three finger
CTRL-ALT-DEL did produce task manager which was
just fine. Now it produces a new nag screen that tells
me I'm logged on to my computer and asks what I want
with several choices --- including shut down, restart,
et al.
The annoying addition is no upgrade in my view.
Is there a way to turn off this new "feature" ??
Thanks for any help.
From: chrisv on
Pfsszxt(a)aol.com wrote:
> Apparently, as part of an auto-upgrade deposit, MS has
> added some new nag screens. They say they're part
> of Windows Security". For example --- the three finger
> CTRL-ALT-DEL did produce task manager which was
> just fine. Now it produces a new nag screen that tells
> me I'm logged on to my computer and asks what I want
> with several choices --- including shut down, restart,
> et al.
> The annoying addition is no upgrade in my view.
> Is there a way to turn off this new "feature" ??
> Thanks for any help.

Your analysis is flawed. There is no new nag screen, there is a unique
problem on your PC that no one else shares.

From: Grinder on
Pfsszxt(a)aol.com wrote:
> Apparently, as part of an auto-upgrade deposit, MS has
> added some new nag screens. They say they're part
> of Windows Security". For example --- the three finger
> CTRL-ALT-DEL did produce task manager which was
> just fine. Now it produces a new nag screen that tells
> me I'm logged on to my computer and asks what I want
> with several choices --- including shut down, restart,
> et al.
> The annoying addition is no upgrade in my view.
> Is there a way to turn off this new "feature" ??
> Thanks for any help.

Is this the one?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Xp_windows_security.png

Here's an explanation how what dialogs are presented in what context on
Windows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete#Windows_NT_.28and_later_versions.29

I suspect you have recently disabled the "Welcome Screen" or "Fast User
Switching" options in Windows XP.
From: Pfsszxt on
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 19:35:47 GMT, Grinder <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com>
wrote:

>Pfsszxt(a)aol.com wrote:
>> Apparently, as part of an auto-upgrade deposit, MS has
>> added some new nag screens. They say they're part
>> of Windows Security". For example --- the three finger
>> CTRL-ALT-DEL did produce task manager which was
>> just fine. Now it produces a new nag screen that tells
>> me I'm logged on to my computer and asks what I want
>> with several choices --- including shut down, restart,
>> et al.
>> The annoying addition is no upgrade in my view.
>> Is there a way to turn off this new "feature" ??
>> Thanks for any help.
>
>Is this the one?
>
>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Xp_windows_security.png
>
>Here's an explanation how what dialogs are presented in what context on
>Windows:
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete#Windows_NT_.28and_later_versions.29
>
>I suspect you have recently disabled the "Welcome Screen" or "Fast User
>Switching" options in Windows XP.

Thanks -- this sounds right --but I've not disabled any "fast user"
How/where do I un-disable it ?? I've never seen such an option!
From: Grinder on

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=fast+user+switching