From: Grover on
Windows XP SP3

If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the option
to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the shutdown
icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown choice, XP
proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do not turn off
computer..."

As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the update
process") - then the power went off!

Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
lost.

Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
machine to shut down - period.

Thanks for help and comments

Grov
From: Rudy on

"Grover" <grover(a)somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Windows XP SP3
>
> If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the option
> to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the shutdown
> icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown choice, XP
> proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do not turn off
> computer..."
>
> As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
> the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the update
> process") - then the power went off!
>
> Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
> Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
> it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
> lost.
>
> Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
> machine to shut down - period.
>
> Thanks for help and comments
>
> Grove

You should be able to turn updates off by going to 'control panel',
'Security Center' and turning off automatic updates.

Rudy

From: Sjouke Burry on
Rudy wrote:
> "Grover" <grover(a)somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> Windows XP SP3
>>
>> If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the option
>> to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the shutdown
>> icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown choice, XP
>> proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do not turn off
>> computer..."
>>
>> As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
>> the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the update
>> process") - then the power went off!
>>
>> Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
>> Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
>> it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
>> lost.
>>
>> Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
>> machine to shut down - period.
>>
>> Thanks for help and comments
>>
>> Grove
>

> You should be able to turn updates off by going to 'control panel',
> 'Security Center' and turning off automatic updates.
>
> Rudy

Or choose on that page "ask me".
Then you can do the install(indicated by a yellow tag on the bottom
line)when you are ready for it.
From: Grinder on
Sjouke Burry wrote:
> Rudy wrote:
>> "Grover" <grover(a)somewhere.net> wrote in message
>>> Windows XP SP3
>>>
>>> If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the option
>>> to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the shutdown
>>> icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown choice, XP
>>> proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do not turn off
>>> computer..."
>>>
>>> As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
>>> the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the update
>>> process") - then the power went off!
>>>
>>> Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
>>> Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
>>> it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
>>> lost.
>>>
>>> Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
>>> machine to shut down - period.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help and comments
>>>
>>> Grove
>>

>> You should be able to turn updates off by going to 'control panel',
>> 'Security Center' and turning off automatic updates.
>>
>> Rudy
>>
> Or choose on that page "ask me".
> Then you can do the install(indicated by a yellow tag on the bottom
> line)when you are ready for it.

That's the option I have selected. Occassionally, though, it will
automatically update something on shutdown.
From: Peter on
In article <uop7b5la1pqmagsq39psddnhkem8aemit8(a)4ax.com>,
grover(a)somewhere.net says...
> Windows XP SP3
>
> If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the option
> to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the shutdown
> icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown choice, XP
> proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do not turn off
> computer..."
>
> As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
> the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the update
> process") - then the power went off!
>
> Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
> Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
> it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
> lost.
>
> Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
> machine to shut down - period.
>
> Thanks for help and comments
>
> Grov

Somehow I doubt there is. I tried to find a solution to this issue a
while back without success. I just pay close attention to the shutdown
choices to look for that shield to be displayed and make sure that I
choose to shutdown without installing updates when I see it. After
that, the next time I boot up I go straight to the M$ update website and
install from there because guaranteed the option to install those
updates whilst the computer is running never appears and only rears its
ugly little head at every shutdown.

--
Pete Ives