From: Hodges on
On Sep 20, 5:04 am, Hodges <mrezous...(a)garrifulio.mailexpire.com>
wrote:
> On Sep 19, 5:02 pm, "relic" <rel...(a)cjb.net> wrote:
>

> > Grover wrote:

> > > Thanks to all for comments.
>
> > > Peter - how do you get a choice to shutdown without installing
> > > updates? Seems to be automatic - I have no choices...Standby, Shut
> > > Off, or Restart. The shutdown button is the one that displays the
> > > small "shield" as part of the button...
>
> > > Grov
>
> > Read the text that  accompanies it.
>
> Assuming this is XP Pro (not sure if home/media center comes with
> group policy object editor)
>
> Go to Start/Run
> Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
> Look under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
> Components/Windows Update
>
> The first option is "Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down'
> option in Shut Down Windows dialog box".  Double-click that and click
> enabled.

Or you could also put a batch file on your desktop. Create a text
document and inside it put shutdown /s /f /t 0
Rename it to shutdown.bat

That'll shut it down without updates.
From: Hodges on
On Sep 20, 5:06 am, Hodges <mrezous...(a)garrifulio.mailexpire.com>
wrote:
> On Sep 20, 5:04 am, Hodges <mrezous...(a)garrifulio.mailexpire.com>
> wrote:

> > > Read the text that  accompanies it.
>
> > Assuming this is XP Pro (not sure if home/media center comes with
> > group policy object editor)
>
> > Go to Start/Run
> > Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
> > Look under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows
> > Components/Windows Update
>
> > The first option is "Do not display 'Install Updates and Shut Down'
> > option in Shut Down Windows dialog box".  Double-click that and click
> > enabled.
>
> Or you could also put a batch file on your desktop.  Create a text
> document and inside it put shutdown /s /f /t 0
> Rename it to shutdown.bat
>
> That'll shut it down without updates.

Oops I'm stupid, if the batch file is called shutdown.bat then it'll
try to run itself, so either name it something else or put
shutdown.exe /s /f /t 0
From: Simon. (Zed Are Seven) on
on Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:26:40 -0400, Grover <grover(a)somewhere.net> wrote this
wisdom:

>On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:59:59 +0100, Peter
><pete.ivesAll_stRESS(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>In article <uop7b5la1pqmagsq39psddnhkem8aemit8(a)4ax.com>,
>>grover(a)somewhere.net says...
>>> Windows XP SP3
>>>
>>> If there is an downloaded but not installed update present, the option
>>> to shut down the computer has a small icon appended to the shutdown
>>> icon (not the restart icon). If you click on the shutdown choice, XP
>>> proceeds to install the update, with warnings about "Do not turn off
>>> computer..."
>>>
>>> As an electrical storm was imminent, my wife proceeded to shut down
>>> the computer. It went into a long (several minute "install the update
>>> process") - then the power went off!
>>>
>>> Entire directory contents were gone, and many other abnormalities.
>>> Finally, after a system restore, re-download the update and install
>>> it, almost everything came back - except the several hours that I
>>> lost.
>>>
>>> Can this "feature" be disables? When I say shut down, I want the
>>> machine to shut down - period.
>>>
>>> Thanks for help and comments
>>>
>>> Grov
>>>

>>Somehow I doubt there is. I tried to find a solution to this issue a
>>while back without success. I just pay close attention to the shutdown
>>choices to look for that shield to be displayed and make sure that I
>>choose to shutdown without installing updates when I see it. After
>>that, the next time I boot up I go straight to the M$ update website and
>>install from there because guaranteed the option to install those
>>updates whilst the computer is running never appears and only rears its
>>ugly little head at every shutdown.
>
>Thanks to all for comments.
>
>Peter - how do you get a choice to shutdown without installing
>updates? Seems to be automatic - I have no choices...Standby, Shut
>Off, or Restart. The shutdown button is the one that displays the
>small "shield" as part of the button...

There is a small hyperlink below the shutdown button that does exactly what you
want it to - shutdown WITHOUT installing updates.

Next time you shutdown it will ask again and you can decide if you want to
install updates and shutdown or not.

I find a lot of people never actually READ the error messages or other text and
assume the text means nothing.

Sometimes this message is USEFUL :-)

--
Simon.

'Be Seeing You.
Who is number one?
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed or numbered.
Registered Linux User #300464 Machine Id #188886
Linux Counter - http://counter.li.org/
Remove the s.p.a.m to reply
From: Peter on
In article <0ntuc55ikb9aocfd38rpbodbot3oukte2b(a)4ax.com>,
sj_bradleyspam(a)blueyonder.co.uk says...
> on Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:26:40 -0400, Grover <grover(a)somewhere.net> wrote this
> wisdom:
>
> >On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:59:59 +0100, Peter
> ><pete.ivesAll_stRESS(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>In article <uop7b5la1pqmagsq39psddnhkem8aemit8(a)4ax.com>,
> >>grover(a)somewhere.net says...

> >>Somehow I doubt there is. I tried to find a solution to this issue a
> >>while back without success. I just pay close attention to the shutdown
> >>choices to look for that shield to be displayed and make sure that I
> >>choose to shutdown without installing updates when I see it. After
> >>that, the next time I boot up I go straight to the M$ update website and
> >>install from there because guaranteed the option to install those
> >>updates whilst the computer is running never appears and only rears its
> >>ugly little head at every shutdown.
> >
> >Thanks to all for comments.
> >
> >Peter - how do you get a choice to shutdown without installing
> >updates? Seems to be automatic - I have no choices...Standby, Shut
> >Off, or Restart. The shutdown button is the one that displays the
> >small "shield" as part of the button...
>
> There is a small hyperlink below the shutdown button that does exactly what you
> want it to - shutdown WITHOUT installing updates.
>
> Next time you shutdown it will ask again and you can decide if you want to
> install updates and shutdown or not.
>
> I find a lot of people never actually READ the error messages or other text and
> assume the text means nothing.
>
> Sometimes this message is USEFUL :-)

Too true, but I think the OP had already stated he was aware of the
message, but that he just wanted to disable the option entirely, for
which the solution of using the Group Policy Edit utility was provided
by another poster, who's details I forget, but to whom I apologise.

--
Pete Ives