From: Ross Presser on
One web site in particular needs to be able to deliver files with .inc
extensions, treating them as ordinary static files, NOT server-side
includes. Right now IIS6 is just giving me a 404 every time.

I have added a mime type mapping to plain/text, first tried at the
server level, then at the site level. No joy.

How can I do this?
From: Ross Presser on
On Feb 15, 7:33 pm, Ross Presser <rpres...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> One web site in particular needs to be able to deliver files with .inc
> extensions, treating them as ordinary static files, NOT server-side
> includes.  Right now IIS6 is just giving me a 404 every time.
>
> I have added a mime type mapping to plain/text, first tried at the
> server level, then at the site level. No joy.
>
> How can I do this?

To reiterate, I *want* the webserver to deliver them as plain text to
the web client. For the record, they do not contain any server
executable code at all. Yes, it was probably a bad choice to use .inc
as the extension but is there anything I can do?

It's ironic that 90% of the hits on my search for .inc files was
warnings not to use that extension because webservers serve it as
plain text. That's EXACTLY WHAT I WANT but I can't get my server to do
it.
From: Ross Presser on
OK, I didn't do anything since I last complained it wasn't working.
Now it's working. *scream*
From: .._.. on
MIME type changes probably require a full IIS restart or OS restart.

One of those two things probably happened after your configuration, but for
an unrelated reason.