From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 4/5/2010 9:42 AM, steveu wrote:
>> This reminds of a case two years ago where I met a guy who claimed to
>> have a machine that created more energy out than he put in. He
>> "verified" this by 1st measuring the amount of power going into the
>> the machine. Then he measured the power out by putting a load on it.
>> Then he concluded he got more power out than he put in. The problem
>> was he needed to measure the power going it to the maching when it was
>> loaded. Once this was done, it was clearly observed that the power out
>> was less than the power in. His investors were not happy! You can
>> google "Sprain Motor" if you want to know about that particular
>> machine.
>
> He claimed to create energy out of nothing, without some profound physics
> to support it, and actually got investors? Was Sprain his name, or was it
> Barnum?
>
> Steve

You'd be surprised what people can get vc money for.

The Moller Air Car is one of my favorites. They've kept that thing
going for several decades. Worse examples abound.

When I worked at a large household brand name technical company I
frequently consulted for the capital investment part of the company when
they looked at startups with wireless technology. One, and this was
only about four or five years ago, was essentially a repainted version
of VPSK/VMSK, with a very clearly traceable heritage back to that
technology.

If you're unaware, you can read about it here:

http://www.mwrf.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=6992&pg=1

or a worthwhile critique by Phil Karn:

http://www.ka9q.net/vmsk/critique.html

In the late nineties the company I worked for looked at VPSK and we
quickly saw it for what it was. Ten years later it popped up again with
the repainted version (and I don't remember what they were calling it
then, but they'd changed the name to take some of the stink off). I
pointed out to the people involved that this was an old scheme with
nothing behind it, etc., etc., and provided references to the history of
VPSK/VMSK. To my dismay another researcher in our lab who also
consulted to the capital investment guys thought it was a good idea for
some reason that was never adequately explained.

Sometimes it only takes one (perhaps misguided) individual to tell the
money guys it's a good idea even when others are pointing out it stinks.
The process is kinda crazy, and some venture capitalists like risk
and crazy-sounding stuff because on the slim chance that it really is
golden they'll make a ton of money. Not all VCs are smart.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Steve Pope on
Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacobsen(a)ieee.org> wrote:

>On 4/5/2010 9:42 AM, steveu wrote:

>> He claimed to create energy out of nothing, without some profound physics
>> to support it, and actually got investors? Was Sprain his name, or was it
>> Barnum?

>You'd be surprised what people can get vc money for.

Look up "Blacklight Power" (for example on Wikipedia), which is an
energy startup based on new physics. It is not physics that
has exactly been debunked, just physics that isn't proven and
is somewhat contradictory to everything we know. It is part of a series
of possibly related phenomena that might represent new energy-producing
physics -- sonoluminesence, cold fusion, fractional quantum states.

>When I worked at a large household brand name technical company I
>frequently consulted for the capital investment part of the company when
>they looked at startups with wireless technology. One, and this was
>only about four or five years ago, was essentially a repainted version
>of VPSK/VMSK, with a very clearly traceable heritage back to that
>technology.

>If you're unaware, you can read about it here:

>http://www.mwrf.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=6992&pg=1

>or a worthwhile critique by Phil Karn:

>http://www.ka9q.net/vmsk/critique.html

I seem to recall that these sort of systems relied on sub-regulatory
emissions over a very broad bandwidth, and in this sense resembled
"mainstream" UWB modulation.

Steve
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 4/5/2010 10:36 AM, Steve Pope wrote:
> Eric Jacobsen<eric.jacobsen(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> On 4/5/2010 9:42 AM, steveu wrote:
>
>>> He claimed to create energy out of nothing, without some profound physics
>>> to support it, and actually got investors? Was Sprain his name, or was it
>>> Barnum?
>
>> You'd be surprised what people can get vc money for.
>
> Look up "Blacklight Power" (for example on Wikipedia), which is an
> energy startup based on new physics. It is not physics that
> has exactly been debunked, just physics that isn't proven and
> is somewhat contradictory to everything we know. It is part of a series
> of possibly related phenomena that might represent new energy-producing
> physics -- sonoluminesence, cold fusion, fractional quantum states.
>
>> When I worked at a large household brand name technical company I
>> frequently consulted for the capital investment part of the company when
>> they looked at startups with wireless technology. One, and this was
>> only about four or five years ago, was essentially a repainted version
>> of VPSK/VMSK, with a very clearly traceable heritage back to that
>> technology.
>
>> If you're unaware, you can read about it here:
>
>> http://www.mwrf.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=6992&pg=1
>
>> or a worthwhile critique by Phil Karn:
>
>> http://www.ka9q.net/vmsk/critique.html
>
> I seem to recall that these sort of systems relied on sub-regulatory
> emissions over a very broad bandwidth, and in this sense resembled
> "mainstream" UWB modulation.
>
> Steve

That was exactly it; the data was actually in low sidebands so at high
SNR with a broad enough filter it passed data just fine. If one built
the system with a filter as narrow as they claimed the data actually
occupied, the data would be filtered out. If one didn't have a high
enough SNR to recover the data (compared to the power in the carrier,
which protruded pretty high about the data psd), there wasn't any hope
of recovering the data, either.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Clay on
On Apr 5, 12:42 pm, "steveu" <steveu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.coppice.org> wrote:
> >This reminds of a case two years ago where I met a guy who claimed to
> >have a machine that created more energy out than he put in. He
> >"verified" this by 1st measuring the amount of power going into the
> >the machine. Then he measured the power out by putting a load on it.
> >Then he concluded he got more power out than he put in. The problem
> >was he needed to measure the power going it to the maching when it was
> >loaded. Once this was done, it was clearly observed that the power out
> >was less than the power in. His investors were not happy! You can
> >google "Sprain Motor" if you want to know about that particular
> >machine.
>
> He claimed to create energy out of nothing, without some profound physics
> to support it, and actually got investors? Was Sprain his name, or was it
> Barnum?
>
> Steve

His name is Harry Paul Sprain. And the company that was started to
build the machine seems to be defunked now. I actually observed the
machine's construction and with its large magnets and intricate
machining a lot of money was spent on building it. I wonder what an
audit would produce.

Paul actually got a patent on the device although the patent never
claims overunity energy production. We know what the patent office
would have done in that case.

The interesting thing about Mr. Sprain was in my many conversations
with him (we each frequented a common watering hole) was he seemed
very sincere. Either this was an amazing act or he really believed in
the machine. He of course had no theory to back its operation. I met
several of his investors and they had sunk so much money, I don't
think they wanted to consider that the machine could not possibly
work. They wanted to hire me to develop some of the control circuitry,
but I passed that opportunity off to someone else.

Mr Sprain is now working on some special rocket fuel for satellites.
Cool? I hear he is looking for investors ;-)

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Clay wrote:

> On Apr 5, 12:42 pm, "steveu" <steveu(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.coppice.org> wrote:
>
>>>This reminds of a case two years ago where I met a guy who claimed to
>>>have a machine that created more energy out than he put in. He
>>>"verified" this by 1st measuring the amount of power going into the
>>>the machine. Then he measured the power out by putting a load on it.
>>>Then he concluded he got more power out than he put in. The problem
>>>was he needed to measure the power going it to the maching when it was
>>>loaded. Once this was done, it was clearly observed that the power out
>>>was less than the power in. His investors were not happy! You can
>>>google "Sprain Motor" if you want to know about that particular
>>>machine.
>>
>>He claimed to create energy out of nothing, without some profound physics
>>to support it, and actually got investors? Was Sprain his name, or was it
>>Barnum?
>>
>>Steve
>

> His name is Harry Paul Sprain. And the company that was started to
> build the machine seems to be defunked now. I actually observed the
> machine's construction and with its large magnets and intricate
> machining a lot of money was spent on building it. I wonder what an
> audit would produce.
>
> Paul actually got a patent on the device although the patent never
> claims overunity energy production. We know what the patent office
> would have done in that case.
>
> The interesting thing about Mr. Sprain was in my many conversations
> with him (we each frequented a common watering hole) was he seemed
> very sincere. Either this was an amazing act or he really believed in
> the machine. He of course had no theory to back its operation. I met
> several of his investors and they had sunk so much money, I don't
> think they wanted to consider that the machine could not possibly
> work. They wanted to hire me to develop some of the control circuitry,
> but I passed that opportunity off to someone else.
>
> Mr Sprain is now working on some special rocket fuel for satellites.
> Cool? I hear he is looking for investors ;-)

Rocket fuel for satellites? I thought it was invented already :-)
Those people claim support-less propulsion; they even put their device
on actual satellite!

http://www.newsru.com/russia/17feb2010/gravicapa.html
http://reid.citizendium.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion_machine

When my dad was young PhD at the university, he was assigned the
thankless role of examining the projects of lunatics. This was not only
a tedious work of finding mistakes, but also dangerous. Idiots are
revengeful; they appeal to media and try to sue. "Government bureaucrats
are choking people's scientist" etc. etc.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com