From: WWalker on
Rune,

Now you are being rediculus! The dipole solution has been derived hundreds
of times in hundreds of ways over the last 100 years. They all agree with
the transfer function I used in my simulation, and agree that the solution
is valid in the nearfield provided the distance to the analysis point is
much less than the length of the dipole. It has also been derived using
spherical harmonics resulting in the same result (Ref. Electrodynamics,
James Blake Westgard, 1997). I have also derived the solution from
Maxwell's Equations in my paper, and I have also measured the dispersion of
a real magnetic dipole antenna with a RF Network Analyser and I get the
same nonlinear nearfield phase vs frequency curve. So the effect is clearly
real.

William

>On 29 Mar, 17:06, "WWalker" <william.walker(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.imtek.de>
>wrote:
>> Rune,
>>
>> The transfer function I use in my simulations is well known for the
>> magnetic field component of an electric dipole: (1/r^2)e^(ikr)[ikr-1].
You

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacobsen(a)ieee.org> wrote:
(big snip)

> How did the input "pulse" get bandlimited in the first place? This is
> key to understanding how this works. It's not magic, information is not
> accelerated.

> Imagine this and you might be able to see what's going on:

> Start with an ideal impulse, a dirac delta, or some suitable equivalent.
> Pass that impulse through your bandlimiting filter, see how long it
> takes to come out. Since the bandlimiting filter is causal, the bottom
> of the leading edge of the pulse doesn't happen until the instantaneous
> impulse has arrived. The entire width of the output pulse is then a
> delay from the incidence of the impulse.

> Consider the dirac delta the "information".

Well, that doesn't seem quite fair. If you take the output of
the filter, and then pass it through the transmit/receive system,
and then determine the delay, that seems a better test. But...

> So, it is easy to see that the peak of the output pulse has, at minimum,
> the delay from the bottom of the leading edge of the bandlimited output
> pulse.

> If you closely examine the output of the predictive filters, whether
> it's a filter with a negative group delay or the near field of an
> antenna or whatever, it does NOT begin to ramp up the output pulse
> values until the input pulse values have actually arrived. In other
> words, as we know, or at least most of us know, such a filter is still
> causal and does NOT predict the onset of the leading edge of the pulse.

There are reference in the Wikipedia page to an experiment by Boyd
that seems to show faster than light behavior for, not surprisingly,
light! (It also does not claim to violate special relativity.)
The experiment uses erbium doped optical fibers. As well as
I understand it, the fiber amplifies the incoming signal and,
slightly later, generates a signal to cancel the rest of the
incoming signal.

My best thought in terms of analog electronics is to consider
a very high gain amplifier with an insufficient power supply.
Say, for example, with filter capacitors that charge through
a large resistor. Now, when the leading edge of the pulse comes
in it will be amplified by a large factor, resulting in a new
pulse. By the time the peak arrives, the filter capacitors
have discharged, and the output no longer follows the input.

I believe that isn't so far from what is done with erbium
doped fiber. The erbium atoms are put into a higher energy
state, and then the signal comes in. A Gaussian envelope
wave train has a nice, oscillatory, leading edge ready to
cause the erbium to emit well before the peak.

To me, a better test is to do a correlation between the input
and output for an appropriately band limited noise source.
(Maybe white noise through an appropriate filter.) The
peak in the correlation integral indicates the delay, on average,
through the system. Measuring the delay of a single transition,
or peak, can too easily give the wrong value.

-- glen
From: WWalker on
r b-j,

But, the research presented in this thread indicates that the EM signal
speed in vaccuum is faster than light in the nearfield and only reduces to
the speed of light in the farfield. If this is true, then in your opinion,
how would this affect physics? As you said, a lot of physics is based on
the speed of light being constant, but what if it is not?

William

From: WWalker on
Jerry,

Dopler radar is used to measure object velocity and if this is done in a
particle accelerator experiments, the results could be missleading if not
interpreted correctly. In addition, my analysis has shown that fields
generated by a dipole source never achieve a constant velocity, they just
approach it in the farfield. So doppler measurements in the farfield will
differ also by a small amount. As farfield dopler radar becomes more
sensitive it will eventially have to deal with the effects I am
discussing.

William

From: WWalker on
Eric,

The first pulse is not the signal fed to the dipole. The first pulse is
just used to create a narrow banded pulse, which is then sent through the
dipole to be detected. Forget about the first pulse, the question is if I
send a narrow banded pulse through the dipole how long will it take to
arrive across a region of space in the nearfield of the dipole. If the
answer is less than the speed of light to cross the same region of space,
then the pulse has propagated faster than light.

"So if press a button with the same signal characteristics as the LPF
pulse, and if I use the threshold detector set jsut above the noise level
to detect the pulse and explode a bomb, the bomb will explode earlier than
if the pulse propagated at the speed of light. The pressing of the button
(Action) results in the exploding of a bomb (Reaction) faster than light
speed. This is clear cause and effect (information) which propagtes faster
than light."

William