From: WWalker on
Eric,

Sorry, the last post I made to you was sent prematurely. I will try again.

I simply mean the dipole pulse arrives indistorted 0.16ns earlier than if
the pulse had propagated at the light speed. I have made an FTP site where
I have uploaded JPG pictures of my simulation results. This should help
make things clearer. Copy and paste the following web address into your
browser and it should take you to the folder: LPF_Pulse_Exp . I hope it
works.

ftp://REM:signal(a)132.230.139.154/LPF_Pulse_Exp

Regarding how I calculated the theoretically predicted time difference
from
light speed, refer to the file: Mod_time_delay_from_c_Calc.jpg on the FTP
server at:

ftp://REM:signal(a)132.230.139.154

I am simply using the dispersion curve slope of the magnetic field
component to calculate the time delay of the modulation and then I compare
it to the time delay of a light speed signal.

Regarding your request that I interrupt the input signal, isn't this what I
did in the LPF Pulse simulation I just posted? The pulse is turned on and
off and both edges arrive ealier than if it propagted at the speed of
light. I guess I could do it without the LPF, but the signal would be
wideband and distort in the nearfield. But the discontinuity in this signal
would appear to propagate at the speed of light, because the high frequency
components comprising the discontinuity would propagate at light speed,
since they are in the farfield. Remember that the speed of the field is
only superluminal in the nearfield and reduces to the speed of light (c) as
the field propagates about a wavelegth from the dipole source, and
continues to propagate at c into the farfield. If the detector is located
at 1/6 carrier wavelength from the dipole, then higher frequency components
with wavelengths a lot shorter than this distance will propagate at speed
c.

William

>On 3/27/2010 3:47 AM, WWalker wrote:
>> Eric,
>>
>> Since a pulse distorts in the nearfield, one can not determin it's
group
>> speed in the nearfield. But if you take the same pulse and send it
through
>> a low pass filter, mix it with a carrier, and send it though a dipole
you
>> get the same superluminal results. Because the filtered pulse is narrow
>> band, it propagates undistorted and arrives sooner than a light
propagated
>> pulse.
>
>I'm not following this argument, especially the last statement.
>

>> I have done a Vee Pro simulation and it clearly shows this. In this
program
>> I used a pulse with the following characteristics: 1Hz Freq, 50ns pulse
>> width, 10ns rise and fall time, 1V amplitude. the Lowpass filter had
the
>> following characteristics: 50MHz cutoff frequency (fc), 6th order,
Transfer

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 3/27/2010 6:58 PM, WWalker wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Sorry, the last post I made to you was sent prematurely. I will try again.
>
> I simply mean the dipole pulse arrives indistorted 0.16ns earlier than if
> the pulse had propagated at the light speed. I have made an FTP site where
> I have uploaded JPG pictures of my simulation results. This should help
> make things clearer. Copy and paste the following web address into your
> browser and it should take you to the folder: LPF_Pulse_Exp . I hope it
> works.
>
> ftp://REM:signal(a)132.230.139.154/LPF_Pulse_Exp

Looks just like Andor's and Sten's plots, which aren't due to
propagation faster than c.

> Regarding how I calculated the theoretically predicted time difference
> from
> light speed, refer to the file: Mod_time_delay_from_c_Calc.jpg on the FTP
> server at:
>
> ftp://REM:signal(a)132.230.139.154
>
> I am simply using the dispersion curve slope of the magnetic field
> component to calculate the time delay of the modulation and then I compare
> it to the time delay of a light speed signal.

Yes. And how do you distinguish the advance between what is easily
explained by the effects of negative group delay and the less likely
explanation of propagation faster than c? Why do you think the less
likely explanation is the correct one? How do you plan to prove that
the less likely explanation should be accepted?

> Regarding your request that I interrupt the input signal, isn't this what I
> did in the LPF Pulse simulation I just posted? The pulse is turned on and
> off and both edges arrive ealier than if it propagted at the speed of
> light. I guess I could do it without the LPF, but the signal would be
> wideband and distort in the nearfield.

Are you trying to say the nearfield distortion of the wideband component
would suggest that the propagation is less than or equal to c? That's
pretty much the point.

The expectation is that you'll see something similar to Figure 7 in
Andor's blog article. You're seeing essentially Figure 5 now, or Fig.
2a. in Sten's paper.

> But the discontinuity in this signal
> would appear to propagate at the speed of light, because the high frequency
> components comprising the discontinuity would propagate at light speed,
> since they are in the farfield.

Yup. Which suggests that the signal isn't really propagating faster
than c after all, it's just dispersing in a way that advances the phase
and makes it appear to accelerate, like the citations we've been quoting
over and over and over.

> Remember that the speed of the field is
> only superluminal in the nearfield and reduces to the speed of light (c) as
> the field propagates about a wavelegth from the dipole source, and
> continues to propagate at c into the farfield.

I think most disagree with you here, and think that the pulse just
distorts in the near field due to the dispersion and advances the phase,
just like it does in Andor's negative group delay filter and Sten's
paper. You're the only one I know of claiming the explanation is
propagation faster than c. Everybody else seems to think it's just the
phase advance due to the dispersion. Your results appear consistent
with Andor's and Sten's so far as far as I can tell, but you insist on a
different explanation.

Eric

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: WWalker on
Eric,

I think you are missing the point. Refering to the Low Pass Filtered Pulse
simulation I posted, the simulation clearly shows that if I transmit a
pulse, the pulse edge arrives sooner than if it had propagated faster than
light. If my detector at the receiving end is threshold detector which is
set to look for anything above the noise level, it will fire earlier than
if the pulse had propagated at light speed. In other words, it shows that
if I push a button launching the narrowband pulse signal and propagate it
via a dipole to a nearfield receiver with the threshold detector, the
pressed button will be detected sooner than a light propagated signal. This
clearly shows that an action (informaton) in this nearfield dipole system
can be detected faster than light. If this is true than I have proven my
point that information propagtes faster than light in the nearfield of a
dipole.

William

From: Rune Allnor on
On 28 Mar, 16:12, "WWalker" <william.walker(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.imtek.de>
wrote:
> Rune,
>
> If you are going to be rude, don't bother posting. I will not answer your
> posts if you continue. I am sure you have interesting things to say and I
> am interested in discussing it, but not if your going to be rude.

You have been met here with far more respect than you deserve.
In fact, your inflated ego is the only issue standing beteen
you and some real insights. You *think* what you dabble with
is difficult. It is not. It's nothing more than the basics
most other people did away with during their first semester
of wave theory.

You have spent a decade and a half messing with the basics.
*Read* my posts. *Contemplate* what I say. *Search* *up* *the*
*basics* on the trivial stuff you dabble with.

Then find a new vocation.

Rune
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 3/28/2010 4:24 AM, WWalker wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I think you are missing the point. Refering to the Low Pass Filtered Pulse
> simulation I posted, the simulation clearly shows that if I transmit a
> pulse, the pulse edge arrives sooner than if it had propagated faster than
> light. If my detector at the receiving end is threshold detector which is
> set to look for anything above the noise level, it will fire earlier than
> if the pulse had propagated at light speed. In other words, it shows that
> if I push a button launching the narrowband pulse signal and propagate it
> via a dipole to a nearfield receiver with the threshold detector, the
> pressed button will be detected sooner than a light propagated signal. This
> clearly shows that an action (informaton) in this nearfield dipole system
> can be detected faster than light. If this is true than I have proven my
> point that information propagtes faster than light in the nearfield of a
> dipole.
>
> William

I get the impression that you either haven't read or haven't understood
any of our previous dialogue.

What you are seeing appears consistent with a phase advance of a
bandlimited signal, not accelerated propagation. The same sort of
bandlimited pulse is shown, and I'm sure everybody is getting weary of
me citing these same references over and over again, with apparent
acceleration in Andor's blog (Figures 4 and 5) and in Sten's paper (Fig.
2.a).

Both show apparent arrival of the output pulse before the input, but it
is only a small phase advance of the signal due to the nature of the
medium (i.e., an unusual group delay). Both authors acknowledge this.
You do not. Andor demonstrated, pretty clearly, that the system is,
in fact, causal, by turning off the input signal and observing the
output signal end in Fig. 7. This is why people here have been trying
to get you to do something similar, because otherwise the logical
explanation is that there's just a slight phase advance in the signal.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms