From: WWalker on
Eric,

I am not sure adding two signals is deterministic independant of the time
span it is viewed. The signal only repeats after the modulation time
2/(f2-f1). One needs to sample the signal over this entire time period to
be sure what the equation the signal corresponds to enabling one to say it
is deterministic. If one only views the signal over a portion of the
modulation peroid, one cannot be sure whether it is predictable because it
could easily change from predictability when viewed over a larger time
period. This is what the autocorrolation experiment of the this signal
shows. Only after a modulation period does one see significant sidelobes in
the triangular autocorrolation signal.

I think an important question to resolve is if the dipole system is a
filter or not. Filters can only phase shift signals, whereas a dipole
generates a true time delay due to wave propagation. It is clear that this
is true in the farfield. Why should it be different in the nearfield?

With my last simulation I obtained the same superluminal results using a
filtered an extremly nondeterministic random signal. If the dipole system
is not a filter, how could the modulation envelope arrive sooner than a
light propagated signal?

Your last comment regarding the effects of noise are very impotant. As I
mentioned at the very start of this discussion (thread), in order to prove
information propagates faster than light in the nearfield of a dipole, one
has to measure the time delay of the modulation (tp) and also show that it
is possible to extract the information in a fraction of a carrier cycle
(td). This is because the superluminal phenomina only occurs over a
fraction of a carrier period and v=d/(tp+td. I am very certain that in a
nearfield dipole system, the modulations of narrow band AM signals can be
observed to arrive earlier in time than a light speed propagated signal.
What I am not sure is wheather the modulations can be extracted in a
fraction of a carrier cycle with real AM signals which noise. This is why I
have contacted this group. From my investigations, the usual signal
processing techniques do not work. Simple diode/mixer low pass filtering
cannot be used because the filter requires more than a fraction of a
carrier cycle to extract the modulation. FFT has the same problem.

William

> [...]
>> speed of the pulse. To transmit information faster than light one must
use
>> narrowband signals like AM and transmitt and receive them in the
nearfield
>> of the carrier.
>>
>> It is true that a real dipole anntena has filter characteristics. The
>> simulation I presented is an idealized dipole like an oscillating
electron
>> which does not have filter characteristics. In an experiment with real
>> antennas one would have to subtract out the phase shifts due to the
>> antennas filter characteristics so that one only sees the time delay
>> behavior of the propagating fields.
>>
>> The signals I used in my simulation are a changing modulation over the
time
>> window of analysis. The changing modulation does not repeat over this
>> window. It is true that they are created from deterministic signals.
>> Bassically I generated a beat frequency modulation which has a carrier
and
>> a modulation frequency. Provided the window of analysis is smaller than
>> modulation time period, the modulation pattern does not repeat. After a
>> modulation period the patern repeats again. I chose this type of signal
>> because it is a changing pattern which eventually repeats, enabling me
>> trigger it in a real experient and also enabling me to do time
averaging
>> which will help a lot with improving the SNR if a experimental signal.
>
>The period of the signal isn't necessarily consequential, the fact that
>it is not random is. The point being that the signal you are using is
>not suitable for measuring propagation at the resolution you're
>interested in because it is a deterministic signal. Even when there's
>a component that is randomly changing with time it is easy to get fooled
>by the nature of narrowband signals, and that was pretty much a big
>point of Andor's paper. I'm beginning to see why he chose the title
>that he did.
>
>> When perform an autocorrelation of the modulation I used in my
simulation,
>> I see a triangular signal with a peak at the time of the analysis time
>> window, indicating that the signal has no obserable repetition pattern
of
>> the this time. Only after I increase the analysis time window greater
than
>> the modulation period do I get significant sidelobes in the
autocorrelation
>> signal, indicating that the pattern repeats after each multiple of a
>> modulation cycle.
>
>Again, how many periods you observe isn't what matters when the signal
>is completely deterministic. You're just observing the same,
>informationally-static signal over different periods of time. That
>tells you little to nothing about the propagation of information.
>

>> Of course I can create a random narrowband signal as was done in the
OpAmp
>> resonator paper: http://www.dsprelated.com/showarticle/54.php
>> modulate it with a carrier and pass it through a dipole system, and
finally
>> extract the modulation, and compare it to a light propagated signal. If
>> this is done you get exactly the same answer as I showed in my
simulation.
>> But if this technique is used than I can not use time averagiing to
improve
>> SNR which is need for detection of the modulation in real experimental
>> signals. I have perfomed this random modulation simulation using
Agilent
> [...]
>> function [1/(j(f/fc)+1)^6]. Then I multiplied it with a 500MHz carrier
and
>> sent it though a light speed propagating transfer function [e^(ikr)]
and
>> though the magnetic component of a electric dipole transfer function
>> [e^(ikr)*(-kr-i)]. Finally I extracted the modulation envelopes of the
>> tranmitted signal, light speed signal, and the dipole signal. To
extract
>> the envelopes I used squared the signal and then passed it through a
300MHz
>> cutoff (fc), 12th order LPF with the following transfer function
>> [1/(j(f/fc)+1)^12].
>
>Again, be careful even when there is a random component, as the narrow
>band predictability of the signal can easily appear to be accelerated
>propagation, as Andor demonstrated. He hit it spot-on, IMHO, by
>showing a pulse appear to arrive before the stimulus, but then
>demonstrated that interrupting the source proved that the signal was, in
>fact, causal after all. A train of such pulses can be modulated with a
>random component, but if one isn't extremely careful I'd think it'd be
>pretty easy to make an incorrect conclusion about what was propagation
>and what was just typical band-limited predictability.
>
>This is why I suggested interrupting your transmit signal at some point,
>perhaps even at a zero crossing, because it may help to see what's
>really going on.
>
>Your burden of proof is large, and it appears to me that you're not at
>all very far down the road of sufficiency if you're not addressing these
>issues head on. Your continued use of a completely deterministic signal
>for propagation measurements suggests to me that you've not been
>measuring what you think you have been.
>
>I think you want a signal with enough entropy to justify your claims.
>The signals you're using are nearly entropy-free. I suspect there's a
>relationship between signal entropy and the sort of resolution or
>confidence you can have in a propagation measurement, but I don't know
>what it might be off the top of my head. If you had such a
>demonstrated relationship you may then be able to show whether or not
>you were really measuring propagation rather than prediction.
>Otherwise folks like me (and I'm guessing some of the others here who've
>spoken up and plenty of others like them) are going to continue to point
>to the known prediction mechanisms as the far more likely explanation of
>your results rather than grandiose claims of exceeding c.
>

>> William

>> speed,
>> farfield
>> it
>>>
>>> In previous posts you seemed to be claiming that the signal was
>>> propagating faster than c in the near field. Now you are saying "in
>>> the nearfield one can not say anything about the propagation speed of
>>> pulse". Can you clear up my confusion? Are you claiming that there
is
>>> a region over which the signal propagates at a speed faster than c?

>> dispersion
>> then

>> source
>> change
>> source
>>>
>>> Dipoles are actually bandpass filters with a center frequency
determined
>>> by the length of the dipole as related to the wavelength of the
carrier.
>>> Efficiency drops off significantly as the wavelength changes
>>> substantially from the resonant length of the dipole.

>> Just
>> in
than

>>> You seem to be unclear on the definition of "information" in this
>>> context, and I think it's a big part of what's tripping you up. The
AM
>>> radio broadcast signals you like to cite contain "information" because
>>> they're modulated with a significant degree of random components. As
>>> has been pointed out previously, you may not have an adequate grasp on
>>> what "random" means in this context, either. So not getting
>>> "information" and "random" right in this context may be the root of
>>> what's led you astray.
>>>
>>> I shall point out again, as have others, that if you introduce some
>>> genuine randomness (i.e., information) into your test signals you will
>>> be able to demonstrate whether your claims of propagation faster than
>>> are true (if you are, in fact, still claiming that) or not. Until
then
>>> I will again point out that your current test signals are NOT adequate
>>> for that purpose. Jerry pointed out long ago that your signals are
>>> completely deterministic, and, therefore, not random. Anybody with
the
>>> most basic knowledge of trigonometry can predict the exact value of
the
>>> signal at ANY point in the future given the initial parameters. In
>>> fact, your simulation can do that, too! And it is! That proves
>>> absolutely nothing and does not support the claims that you have been
>>> making of propagation faster than the speed of light.
>>>
>>> The same can not be said of a typical AM radio broadcast signal
because
>>> those do, in fact, have random components due to the changing nature
of
>>> the modulating signals. The parameters of your modulating signals,
the
>>> amplitudes and relative phases of the initial input sinusoids, do not
>>> change and therefore carry no information beyond those initial
>>> parameters. This means that a short window of observation is all that
>>> is needed to extract what little information there is in the signal,
>>> because there isn't any additional information added beyond that.
>>> After that, no information is carried in the signal other than "no
>>> change", and there certainly aren't any random components by which to
>>> measure information propagation.
>>>
>>> A static '1' has minimal information, and observing it's state past
>>> reliable detection of the initial transition into that state will
reveal
>>> no additional information by which propagation speed can be measured.
>>> This is the case with your test signals as well. The relative phases
of
>>> the signals are NOT indicative of propagation velocity. You need to
add
>>> a perturbation of some sort, i.e., new modulating information, and
>>> detect the propagation velocity of that new modulated information.
>>> Until you do that it appears to me that you have no basis on which to
>>> make claims of any unexpected phenomena.

> [...]
Here's

>> group
Consider

From: Jerry Avins on
WWalker wrote:
> [...]
>> for propagation measurements suggests to me that you've not been
>> measuring what you think you have been.
>>
>> I think you want a signal with enough entropy to justify your claims.
>> The signals you're using are nearly entropy-free. I suspect there's a
>> relationship between signal entropy and the sort of resolution or
>> confidence you can have in a propagation measurement, but I don't know
>> what it might be off the top of my head. If you had such a
>> demonstrated relationship you may then be able to show whether or not
>> you were really measuring propagation rather than prediction.
>> Otherwise folks like me (and I'm guessing some of the others here who've
>> spoken up and plenty of others like them) are going to continue to point
>> to the known prediction mechanisms as the far more likely explanation of
>> your results rather than grandiose claims of exceeding c.

William,

I think there are a few misconceptions that need to be addressed.

DETERMINISM. Consider the series 1, 2, 1, 2, 1. It seems pretty
straightforward, but it's necessarily. There is no way to make an
assured prediction of the next term. We can see a pattern *so far* but
we have no guarantee that the pattern will continue. There are circuits
that behave well with this sequence and its "expected" sequel is
applied, but which become erratic if the next input were to be, say.
-20. So while the signal is not predictable, *if we treat it as if it
were predictable,* we can get interesting effects. That is what you seem
to be doing.

DIPOLES AND FILTERS. A physical dipole's response is a function of
frequency. As such, it is a filter. It is not true that a filter has no
delay. All filters have delay. This is especially easy to see with
digital filters because they are constructed of delay elements, but it
is true of all filters. Analog filters have phase shift, as you
recognize. When that phase shift is proportional to frequency, there is
a non-dispersive delay. A properly connected collection of inductors and
capacitors provides a very good delay. It can simulate a long
transmission line and delay speech. It is used in oscilloscopes to delay
the displayed signal, allowing an entire pulse to be displayed even
though the sweep is triggered by the pulse's rise.

The phenomenon you observe is simple. The near field is in phase with
the dipole's excitation and falls off with the cube of distance. It
dominates near the radiator. The far field is in quadrature with the
dipole's excitation. It exists throughout space, falling off as the
square of distance, so eventually it dominates. The phase at any point
is due to the sum of these components. The disparate decay rates of the
two field components make it appear, based on phase measurements alone,
that the wave propagates superluminally. 'Taint so.

Jerry
--
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen, and thinking what
nobody has thought. .. Albert Szent-Gyorgi
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 3/26/2010 6:46 AM, WWalker wrote:
> Eric,
>
> I am not sure adding two signals is deterministic independant of the time
> span it is viewed. The signal only repeats after the modulation time
> 2/(f2-f1). One needs to sample the signal over this entire time period to
> be sure what the equation the signal corresponds to enabling one to say it
> is deterministic. If one only views the signal over a portion of the
> modulation peroid, one cannot be sure whether it is predictable because it
> could easily change from predictability when viewed over a larger time
> period. This is what the autocorrolation experiment of the this signal
> shows. Only after a modulation period does one see significant sidelobes in
> the triangular autocorrolation signal.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that you're adding a few
sine waves together for your stimulus. All one needs to know is the
initial parameters of amplitude and phase for each term and the signal
is known, completely, for all future time. This is pretty
deterministic. It is also why it conveys no information beyond the
initial parameters and therefore is a poor choice for measuring
information propagation. The example I gave of a static binary '1' is
the same idea; you can't compare the transmitted and received waveform
and learn anything about propagation time.

From that perspective it doesn't matter at what phase or what fraction
of composite period the signal is observed over, as that doesn't change
the deterministic nature of the signal or the amount of information it's
carrying.

See Jerry's response as well.

> I think an important question to resolve is if the dipole system is a
> filter or not. Filters can only phase shift signals, whereas a dipole
> generates a true time delay due to wave propagation. It is clear that this
> is true in the farfield. Why should it be different in the nearfield?

Yes, a dipole is a filter. The paper by Sten and Hujanen that you
cited previously seems to me to be saying and demonstrating exactly the
relevant issue; that the phase response of the near field is dispersive
so that superluminal propagation seems apparent, but really isn't so.
Again, their Figure 2 shows that pretty clearly by my reading.

> With my last simulation I obtained the same superluminal results using a
> filtered an extremly nondeterministic random signal. If the dipole system
> is not a filter, how could the modulation envelope arrive sooner than a
> light propagated signal?

See, again, Andor's paper on dsprelated. Prediction of a band-limited
signal can appear to be time travel or superluminal or whatever you want
to call it, but it's not. It's just narrow-band prediction, which is
not magic at all.

Also see, again, Fig. 2b of the Sten and Hujanen paper. It "appears"
that the pulse has advanced in time before the stimulus, but that's due
only to the dispersion of the frequency content of the signal by the
phase response of the medium. Figures 4, 5, and 6 in Andor's blog show
this as well, including Fig 6 which appears to have a fair amount of
randomness. This is why it can be easily duplicated in a numerical
simulation: it's just a mathematical effect of the non-linear phase
response and negative group delay in the transfer function.

> Your last comment regarding the effects of noise are very impotant. As I
> mentioned at the very start of this discussion (thread), in order to prove
> information propagates faster than light in the nearfield of a dipole, one
> has to measure the time delay of the modulation (tp) and also show that it
> is possible to extract the information in a fraction of a carrier cycle
> (td). This is because the superluminal phenomina only occurs over a
> fraction of a carrier period and v=d/(tp+td. I am very certain that in a
> nearfield dipole system, the modulations of narrow band AM signals can be
> observed to arrive earlier in time than a light speed propagated signal.
> What I am not sure is wheather the modulations can be extracted in a
> fraction of a carrier cycle with real AM signals which noise. This is why I
> have contacted this group. From my investigations, the usual signal
> processing techniques do not work. Simple diode/mixer low pass filtering
> cannot be used because the filter requires more than a fraction of a
> carrier cycle to extract the modulation. FFT has the same problem.
>
> William

Fine time resolution can be achieved with a signal with wide bandwidth
(which is pretty much what we've been saying for a while regarding
information content and randomness). If the AM signal is not
synchronous to the carrier phase then time resolution much finer than a
carrier period can be achieved. I don't think that's where your problem
lies, though.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Rune Allnor on
On 24 Mar, 01:20, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On 3/23/2010 4:51 PM, Rune Allnor wrote:

> You sim doesn't run very well under my version of Octave, but the bit
> about the phase velocity on oblique angles is fundamental.

It's wave physics 101, be it in the context of acustic, optical
or microwave EM waveguides. Anyone who have taken an intro class
on either topic would recognize the phase velocity at oblique
angles.

>  I haven't
> been able to sort out what WW is doing well enough to know for certain

You don't need to. It suffices to recognize what he does *not*
do, know or understand:

- He has no concept of phase fronts in wave fields
- He has no concept of Poynting's vector, that describes
energy flux in EM wave fields,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poynting_vector

- He has no concept of "information" as a random process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_entropy

(I am sure somebody can come up with a link to Shannons's
result that information == energy)
- He has no concept of the monochromatic signal's *irrelevane*
in transmission systems
- He has no concept of "AM modulation" for information-carrying
signals of non-vanishing bandwidth
- He has no concept of the role of transient cahnges in
information-carrying signals

No matter what apporach one investigates this sham from, one
can shoot it down using little more than entry-level basics.
In fact, it's a feat that one person can consistently do
so many, so basic blunders in every possiblefield or craft
he attempts to employ. And if I get the timings right, he has
persisted in this manner for almost a decade and a half.

A truly remarkable intellectual capacity, if nothing else.

Rune
From: Jerry Avins on
Rune Allnor wrote:
> On 24 Mar, 01:20, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>> On 3/23/2010 4:51 PM, Rune Allnor wrote:
>
>> You sim doesn't run very well under my version of Octave, but the bit
>> about the phase velocity on oblique angles is fundamental.

I don't think the illusion is based on obliquity. Walter is wrong about
faster-than-light signaling, but he's not naive. Close in, the near
field predominates, but it fades faster than the far field, so there's a
transition as the distance from the antenna increases. There's a net
shift of pi/2 when shifting between the two field components. That's
subtle enough to take someone in without engendering too much embarrassment.

Jerry