From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Randy Yates wrote:

> Rune Allnor <allnor(a)tele.ntnu.no> writes:
>
>>[...]
>>I can guarantee that you will find that the transients
>>propagate down range with a speed exactly equal to c.
>

> <chuckle>

It looks like there is more and more of them every day.
Scarry.

VLV

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 3/22/2010 5:12 PM, WWalker wrote:
> I dissagree.
>
> Simulation results show that if you add two signals with different
> frequencies and differnt amplitudes, the resultant signal changes in a
> random way as far as a detector is concerned. If the signal is modulated
> with a carrier and transmitted by a dipole antenna to another dipole
> antenna in the nearfield, the envelope of the received signal arrives
> undistorted, faster than light. This is because for a narrowband AM signal,
> the dispersion curve (phase and amplitude) is linear over the bandwidth of
> the signal. Provided the SNR is high enough, the random modulation
> information can then be decoded by dividing by the carrier. Comparing the
> transmitted modulation to the received modulation clearly shows that the
> modulation propagates undistorted, faster than light in the nearfield.
>
> But if a pulse is transmitted in the nearfield the pulse will distort
> because the dispersion curve (phase and amplitude) is not linear over the
> bandwidth of the signal, so group speed has no meaning in the nearfield.
> But in the farfield, the pulse will realign and propagate without
> distortion at the speed of light, so the pulse group speed only has meaning
> in the farfield.
>
> William

Mixing top and bottom posting is very bad form and makes your responses
difficult to read, or at least very difficult to sort out the logic
train you're responding to.

So what carries the information faster than light? Clearly it can't be
an EM photon, since they're inherently limited to c. If it's not via
EM photons, how does the energy get from the transmit to the receive
antenna?

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Rune Allnor on
On 23 Mar, 01:12, "WWalker" <william.walker(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.imtek.de>
wrote:
> I dissagree.
>
> Simulation results show that if you add two signals with different
> frequencies and differnt amplitudes, the resultant signal changes in a
> random way as far as a detector is concerned.

That's the interference. In a steady-state condition.

Interference is hard to quantify because it is chaotic: Make
the slightest change in any of the initial conditions or
environmental parameters, and it causes a total chance of the
resulting interfernce pattern.

> If the signal is modulated
> with a carrier and transmitted by a dipole antenna to another dipole
> antenna in the nearfield, the envelope of the received signal arrives
> undistorted, faster than light.

No, it doesn't. The amateur might have a look at the interference
and get such ideas, but the professional will be aware of
observations of the wave field at oblique angles from the
propagation.

This is a simple excercise, that can even be simulated:

Start out with a 2D plane wave propagating in the x direction:

s(t,x,y) = sin( 2pi f(t - x/c) )

Then observe it along a line through (0,0) that intersects the
wavefield at an angle with the x axis, phi. If phi = 0, you
will see an apparent wavelength, lambda', along the line that
equals the free field wavelength lambda = c / f.

Change the angle of the observation line, and find that
the apparent wavelength equals

lambda' = lambda / cos(phi)

Run a simulation of how the observation changes with time,
and find that the *apparent* speed c' of the wave along the
observation line equals

c' = lambda' f = lambda f / cos (phi) = c / cos(phi).

It's a ridiculously simple trap, but it seems you
have fallen into it.

Rune
From: Rune Allnor on
On 23 Mar, 02:16, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> Randy Yates wrote:
> > Rune Allnor <all...(a)tele.ntnu.no> writes:
>
> >>[...]
> >>I can guarantee that you will find that the transients
> >>propagate down range with a speed exactly equal to c.
>
> > <chuckle>
>
> It looks like there is more and more of them every day.
> Scarry.

I don't know if you have looked at the paper he has referred
to a couple of times. He claims that he at some time was
affiliated with NTNU. I am not at all surprised - this kind
of stuff is just what I would expect from that place.

Once upon a time I asked what the procedure is to hand back
my PhD diplomas etc, as I didn't want more affiliations with
them than absolutely necessary. Cut as many ties as possible.

It turned out there were no such procedures. So one needs to
be acutely cautious about whose company one seeks - their stain
might last a lifetime.

Rune
From: steveu on
>On 23 Mar, 02:16, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> Randy Yates wrote:

>> > <chuckle>
>>
>> It looks like there is more and more of them every day.
>> Scarry.
>
>I don't know if you have looked at the paper he has referred
>to a couple of times. He claims that he at some time was
>affiliated with NTNU. I am not at all surprised - this kind
>of stuff is just what I would expect from that place.
>
>Once upon a time I asked what the procedure is to hand back
>my PhD diplomas etc, as I didn't want more affiliations with
>them than absolutely necessary. Cut as many ties as possible.
>
>It turned out there were no such procedures. So one needs to
>be acutely cautious about whose company one seeks - their stain
>might last a lifetime.

You're being too negative. I think he's on to something, and will produce
the ideal advanced communications system to showcase my new infinite gain
bandwidth amplifier.

Steve