From: WWalker on
Hi Hardy,

A (FIR) linear phase filter will phase shift the modulation a small amount
without distorting the signal in the pass band. As I mentioned in a
modulation, 500MHz carrier signal.

But, I should mention, that the following technique does work. Fourier
Transform the signal. Replace the higher harmonics mixer terms with zeros,
and then inverse Fourier Transform back to the time domain.

William

William

From: Rune Allnor on
On 21 Mar, 23:15, "WWalker" <william.walker(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.imtek.de>
wrote:
> In the system I am investigating, the phase speed and group speed are not
> the same and are not constant and change with distance. Because of this,
> the phase of the carrier is not the same as the phase of the modulation in
> the signal.

If the phase and group velocities are different, the
system is dispersive. If you have a dispersive system,
you are in far worse trouble than a mere filter or
AM demodulator, irrespective of phase responses, can
handle.

What are you doing? What do you want to achieve?
Why do you think *you* are able to handle whatever it
is you are up to?

Rune
From: WWalker on
Vladimir,

Thanks for the offer. I will think about it. In the meantime I would like
to know if there are solutions for this type of problem. From my experience
this is not an easy problem to solve and may require comming up with
something new as I have indicated in my posts. The problem is to measure a
3 degree change in the envelope of an AM Signal (50MHz modulation, 500MHz
Carrier) captured on a 1GHz digital scope. The envelope needs to be
extracted from the signal and compared to the envelope before the signal
propagated. I am trying to measure the group speed.

William

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Rune Allnor <allnor(a)tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On 21 Mar, 23:15, "WWalker" <william.walker(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.imtek.de>
> wrote:
>> In the system I am investigating, the phase speed and group speed are not
>> the same and are not constant and change with distance. Because of this,
>> the phase of the carrier is not the same as the phase of the modulation in
>> the signal.

> If the phase and group velocities are different, the
> system is dispersive. If you have a dispersive system,
> you are in far worse trouble than a mere filter or
> AM demodulator, irrespective of phase responses, can
> handle.

Note that the previous post indicated that they "change with
distance". It is possible to have a system where they vary
in such a way that the overall system is not dispersive.

One way this has been done in optical systems is with a
phase conjugate mirror. After a signal goes through a dispersive
medium (such as optical fiber), it then goes through a phase
conjugation device. That reverses the effect such that passing
through the same amount of fiber restores the original signal.
That is, dispersive fiber+phase conjugation+dispersive fiber
is, overall, not dispersive!

> What are you doing? What do you want to achieve?
> Why do you think *you* are able to handle whatever it
> is you are up to?

Now that is a good question!

-- glen
From: WWalker on
Hi Rune,

Although the system is dispersive, provided the phase and amplitude reponse
of the system are linear over the bandwidth of the signal, the signal will
propagate undistorted. This is satisfied in my system with a 50MHz
Modulation, 500MHz Carrier AM signal. I simply want to measure a predicted
3 degree phase shift of the Modulation. In order to do that I need to
extract the modulation and compare it to the modulation before the
propagation. I do not know if this can be done. This is why I am asking.

William