From: Tim Wescott on
WWalker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does any one know how to extract the envelope of an amplitude modulated
> signal without a phase shift, distortions, and able to determine the
> envelope in between the signal cycles. One way that almost works is to
> simply devide the signal by the carrier but, this technique is too
> sensitive to phase noise. I have also tried using the Hilbert transform
> but, I get some leakage distortions.

Multiplying by the carrier is an accepted and worthwhile practice.
There are numerous useful extensions of this, many of which are to deal
with the phase noise issue, and with selective fading that includes the
carrier -- search on "exalted carrier" and "synchronous AM" to see the
variations.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Dirk Bell on
On Mar 8, 5:57 am, "WWalker" <william.wal...(a)imtek.de> wrote:
> >On Mar 7, 10:37=A0pm, Jerry Avins <j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> >one thing i would like to figure out is what the OP means by "without
> >phase shift".  if he/she means no delay in the detection alg, then
> >Hilbert is out of the picture completely.
>
> >r b-j
>
> ------------------------
> I simply want a very good match when I overlay the AM Signal with the
> calculated envelope. In order for this to work the calculated envelope can
> not be phase shifted.
>
> William

When you say it can not be "phase shifted", do you include a simple
time delay (known number of samples) as a "phase shift"?

Dirk
From: HardySpicer on
On Mar 8, 2:53 pm, "WWalker" <william.wal...(a)imtek.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does any one know how to extract the envelope of an amplitude modulated
> signal without a phase shift, distortions, and able to determine the
> envelope in between the signal cycles. One way that almost works is to
> simply devide the signal by the carrier but, this technique is too
> sensitive to phase noise. I have also tried using the Hilbert transform
> but, I get some leakage distortions.
>
> Thanks

Use a PLL to get the carrier frequency and multiply and then low-pass
filter. Synchronous demodulation.
For supressed carrier you need to square the signal first then lock
onto 2f then divide by two and multiple - filter.
For low carrier to noise ratios you may need a different method.

Hardy
From: WWalker on
Hi Hardy,

Unfortunately, the LPF will phase shift the modulation. So this technique
will not work for me. Do you know of any other way to extract the
modulation without using a filter?

William

From: Rune Allnor on
On 21 Mar, 20:38, "WWalker" <william.walker(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.imtek.de>
wrote:
> Hi Hardy,
>
> Unfortunately, the LPF will phase shift the modulation. So this technique
> will not work for me.

That's a claim that needs justification. A lot of DSP newbies
and amateurs as similar questions as yours, because the term
"phase shift" somehow seems scary, imperfect, or awkward.

Too bad - it's a fact of life.

So make sure you understand *why* you want to avoid phase shifts:
"Sounds scary", "don't want to deal with them" or "don't understand
what they are or what causes them" are perfectly valid
*subjective* reasons.

Which, of course, can be attributed to poor education.

However, "phase shifts invalidates my analysis" is a totally
different cup of tea: It *sounds* as being objective (but is
almost always really caused by one or more of the subjective
reasons listed), and as such it requires objective, substantiated
arguments in support.

Rune