From: Rune Allnor on
On 26 Mar, 22:02, Jerry Avins <j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> Rune Allnor wrote:
> > On 24 Mar, 01:20, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> >> On 3/23/2010 4:51 PM, Rune Allnor wrote:
>
> >> You sim doesn't run very well under my version of Octave, but the bit
> >> about the phase velocity on oblique angles is fundamental.
>
> I don't think the illusion is based on obliquity. Walter is wrong about
> faster-than-light signaling, but he's not naive.

Agreed. He seems to be far worse off than that.

> Close in, the near
> field predominates, but it fades faster than the far field, so there's a
> transition as the distance from the antenna increases. There's a net
> shift of pi/2 when shifting between the two field components. That's
> subtle enough to take someone in without engendering too much embarrassment.

There are two main factors at play in the near field:

- Interefernce between the fields emanated by the two monopoles
- The evanecent components of the plane-wave expansion of
the spherical wave field.

The former is wave theory 101 material; the latter is wave
theory 102.

The fundamental effect is intereference: The dipole is a
superporsition of monopoles (wave theory 101). There is
nothing else at play. The definition of a dipole, is
a pair of monopoles that emits the same signal at the
same time - possibly with different scalar weights.
Again, WT 101.

Th edefinition of 'near field' is the space where wave
form arrive forms arrive from the two dipoles at notably
different directions - WT 101. The analytic study of this
interefernce, is a mess, for a number reasons:

1) The analytic study of spherical Bessel functions is messy
2) Converting the Bessels to plane waves is even more messy
3) By 1) and 2) it becomes difficult to decomose the field
at (x,y,z) in terms of components arriving form the
individual monopoles
4) Since no one decomoposes the wavefield in said way,
no one obtain the detailed understanding of what
exactly goes on.

So there are no convenient ways to find out the detailed
behaviour of the field. But there is no need to, since the
basic mechanism is so simple: Interference, possibly
combined with oblique observation.

Again, except for the plane-wave representation of the
spherical Bessel functions, all of this is wave theory 101.

Rune
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 3/26/2010 2:31 PM, Rune Allnor wrote:
> On 26 Mar, 22:02, Jerry Avins<j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>> Rune Allnor wrote:

>> I don't think the illusion is based on obliquity. Walter is wrong about
>> faster-than-light signaling, but he's not naive.
>
> Agreed. He seems to be far worse off than that.
>
>> Close in, the near
>> field predominates, but it fades faster than the far field, so there's a
>> transition as the distance from the antenna increases. There's a net
>> shift of pi/2 when shifting between the two field components. That's
>> subtle enough to take someone in without engendering too much embarrassment.
>
> There are two main factors at play in the near field:
>
> - Interefernce between the fields emanated by the two monopoles
> - The evanecent components of the plane-wave expansion of
> the spherical wave field.
>
> The former is wave theory 101 material; the latter is wave
> theory 102.
>
> The fundamental effect is intereference: The dipole is a
> superporsition of monopoles (wave theory 101). There is
> nothing else at play. The definition of a dipole, is
> a pair of monopoles that emits the same signal at the
> same time - possibly with different scalar weights.
> Again, WT 101.
>
> Th edefinition of 'near field' is the space where wave
> form arrive forms arrive from the two dipoles at notably
> different directions - WT 101. The analytic study of this
> interefernce, is a mess, for a number reasons:
>
> 1) The analytic study of spherical Bessel functions is messy
> 2) Converting the Bessels to plane waves is even more messy
> 3) By 1) and 2) it becomes difficult to decomose the field
> at (x,y,z) in terms of components arriving form the
> individual monopoles
> 4) Since no one decomoposes the wavefield in said way,
> no one obtain the detailed understanding of what
> exactly goes on.
>
> So there are no convenient ways to find out the detailed
> behaviour of the field. But there is no need to, since the
> basic mechanism is so simple: Interference, possibly
> combined with oblique observation.
>
> Again, except for the plane-wave representation of the
> spherical Bessel functions, all of this is wave theory 101.
>
> Rune

That also explains why it can be simulated numerically. If there was
something funky going on, like virtual photons, one would think a
numerical simulation wouldn't show it because it wouldn't be included in
the math. The first yellow flag here was that numerical simulations
were being used to demonstrate the effect of something unknown and
unexplained.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: WWalker on
Rune,

Are the insults really necessary! This is a serious discussion and the
concepts are not easy. It is a complex system. I garentee no one knows
exactly what is going on in this system. Insults and ridicule are simply
childish and unbecomming in an intelectual discussion.

Regarding your two monopole model, this is a mathematical approximation.
Remember this is modelling an oscillating electron, which is not really
composed of two charges spaced a fixed length apart. This is just a
mathematical model which enables one to calculate the fields at a distance
much larger than oscilation amplitude of the oscillating charge. As you get
near the electron, this model breaks down and is not valid. To determine
the filds near a dipole, one can use the Liénard-Wiechert potentials.

William

From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 3/26/2010 4:42 PM, WWalker wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Figure 2 in the Sten paper clearly shows that the pulse distorts in the
> nearfield making it impossible to say anything about the speed of the
> pulse. Only a narrowband signal will propagate undistorted from the
> nearfield to the farfield.

I asked about this previously and you did not respond. If you cannot
say anything about the speed of the pulse in the near field due to
"distortion", how can you claim that it is faster than c?

The "distortion" appears to be understood according to the Sten paper,
and not inconsistent with group delay effects.

> Regarding your comments on adding nonharmonic signals to create the
> modultion, even Mathematica cannot curvefit to the known equation. Check it
> for yourself. The Mathematica curvefitting code is below. Note there are
> many parrameters to fit and it is not able to do it, so it is not so easy!

I don't have Mathematica, and don't have any intent to use it, so I
don't really care about its shortcomings.

> fn = Ao Cos[Wo*t + phc]*(Cm + A1*Cos[W1*t + phm1] + A2*Cos[W2*t + phm2])
>
> Curvefit =
> FindFit[points, fn, {Ao, A1, A2, phc, phm1, phm2, Cm, Wo, W1, W2}, t]
>
> Never the less, we do not need to discuss this any further because the same
> superluminal behavior is observed in my newest simulation which uses a
> random noise generator with a low pass filter. This latest test signal is
> clearly nondeterministic.

That's an improvement, but probably still not sufficient. It seems to
me you're not paying attention to advice here.

Good luck.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: WWalker on
Eric,

Since a pulse distorts in the nearfield, one can not determin it's group
speed in the nearfield. But if you take the same pulse and send it through
a low pass filter, mix it with a carrier, and send it though a dipole you
get the same superluminal results. Because the filtered pulse is narrow
band, it propagates undistorted and arrives sooner than a light propagated
pulse.

I have done a Vee Pro simulation and it clearly shows this. In this program
I used a pulse with the following characteristics: 1Hz Freq, 50ns pulse
width, 10ns rise and fall time, 1V amplitude. the Lowpass filter had the
following characteristics: 50MHz cutoff frequency (fc), 6th order, Transfer
function: 1/(j(f/fc)+1)^6. Then I multiplied this narrowbanded signal with
a 500MHz carrier and sent it though a light speed propagating transfer
function [e^(ikr)] and though the magnetic component of a electric dipole
transfer function [e^(ikr)*(-kr-i)]. Finally I extracted the modulation
envelopes of the tranmitted signal, light speed signal, and the dipole
signal. To extract the envelopes I squared the signal and then passed it
through a 300MHz cutoff (fc), 12th order LPF with the following transfer
function [1/(j(f/fc)+1)^12]. The pulse envelope from the dipole arrives
0.16ns earlier than the light speed propagated pulse. This corresponds
exactly with theoretical expectations (0.08/fc=0.16ns).

I think perhaps this is the evidence you have all been looking for.

William