From: WWalker on
Eric,

I appreciate this discussion and I do understand the points all of you have
been making very clearly. I teach advanced analog and digital signal
processing, mathematics, as well as RF technique, and EM theory, and I have
been looking at this problem for 20 years. I simply do not agree with some
of the conclusions in this discussion for very logical reasons.

I think maybe the problem is that we are all having difficulty
understanding what is the information in the simulations being discussed,
where is it located, and how does it propagate. Information is not well
understood and I think it needs to be discussed to see if it can be defined
better, as it applies to these simulations.

As I mentioned before, I agree that if the information is the edge of a
sharp pulse, which is passed through a narrowband nearfield dipole AM
transmission and detection system, then the time delay will be the time
delay of the narrowband filter plus the freespace propagation time of the
pulse edge, which propagates at speed c in both the nearfield and farfield.
The pulse will distort in the nearfield but the edge will be clearly
defined and can be used to trigger a bomb. With this type of setup, the
overall time delay of the pulse edge will clearly be less than a light
speed time delay.

But, if the information signal is directly input, bandlimited, in a
narrowband nearfield dipole AM transmission and detection system, then the
time delay of the bandlimited signal will only be the freespace propagation
delay, which is less than light speed as shown in my simulations.

For example, if the signal is created by a voltage source that is manualy
slowly adjusted, and if the signal is then mixed with a carrier and sent
though a nearfield dipole system, then the detected envelope will arrive
undistorted earlier than a light propagated signal, as I showed in my
simulations. Each voltage point on the voltage vs time curve of the voltage
source is information about what the voltage was at that time. If that
pattern is reproduced exactly a distance away, then the time delay of each
information voltage point is the propagation time of the information.

William

>On 3/31/2010 4:09 PM, WWalker wrote:
>> r b-j,
>>
>> The dicussion here has been very helpful with signal processing and
>> understanding the information in the signals I use in my simulations.
The
>> topic has been discussed theoretically over dacades without proving or
>> disproving the superluminal behavior of the the dipole system (i.e.
Speed

From: Jerry Avins on
On 4/1/2010 6:22 AM, WWalker wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> In my last post (argument pasted again below) I presented an analysis which
> showed in the nearfield dv>>c in the nearfield and dv<<c in the farfield.
> Once the photon is created, it is propagating in one direction away from
> the creation point with, lets assume, a possitive velocity. Lets say in the
> nearfield dv=10c therefore, the velocity of the photon will range between:
> 0-10c, with an average of 5c, which is much faster than light.
>
> "Lets calculate the uncertainty of the velocity of a photon that
> propagates
> one wavelength after it is created: According to the Heisenberg
> uncertainty
> principle, the relation between the uncertainty in Energy (dE) and the
> uncertainty in time (dt) is: dE*dt>= h. The time for a photon to cross
> one
> wavelength distance is: dt = lambda/c. Since dE = h*df and df=dv/lambda
> then dE*dt=h*dv/c, but dE*dt<= h therefore: dv>= c
> For smaller distances the uncertianty will be greater and for larger
> distances the uncertainty will be much smaller.
> "

That argument has a certain amount of plausibility at first hearing, but
it raises some questions. How far does the photon get from its source
before the velocity uncertainty becomes very small? What justifies the
assumption of one wavelength? After all, as the photon's energy varies,
so does its wavelength.

You wrote dt=lambda/c. shouldn't that be t=lambda/c? When dt/t is much
greater than unity (you picked 10 in your example) can we still write in
terms of differentials?

Jerry
--
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no
God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

From: Jerry Avins on
On 4/1/2010 7:10 AM, WWalker wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> It is true that in my simulation model I assume the receiving antenna does
> not change the field it is detecting. This is possible if the reflections
> from the receiving antenna are small and the detected signal is completely
> absorbed and not reflected. Since the nearfields decay at 1/r^3 the
> reflected signal will be very small by the time they reflect back to the
> receiving antenna. This is observed in my network analyser dispersion
> measurement test, where the nearfield part of the curve is not affected by
> metal plates placed near the antennas. Only the farfield (1/r) fields are
> observed to be affected by the metal plates. If the resistor used to detect
> the received signal matches the impedance of the antenna, then the signal
> will be completely absorbed and not reflected.

I may not understand the mechanism, but it seems to me that pulling
power out of the field that heats the resistor necessarily alters the
field.

Jerry
From: Clay on
On Apr 1, 5:23 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Clay <c...(a)claysturner.com> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > The quick and easy way is via 4-vectors.
> > Here the scalar electric potential and the magnetic vector potential
> > form a 4-vector.
>
> It isn't that quick and easy, but it does work.  Feynman does
> it after he does it the other way.  Or maybe in the middle.
>
> > It is interesting to note that the fields themselves do not transform
> > nicely. In fact it is the potentials that affect things and not the
> > fields. This is well demonstrated by the Aharonov-Boehm effect. Yes
> > there are cases where you have non zero potentials with zero fields
> > and can observe the quantum interference being affected by varying the
> > potential!
>
> Anyway, in Feynman's description there are three terms, one due
> to the position of a charge (Coulomb's term except delayed by r/c),
> the second is a velocity dependent correction to the first.
> The result of the second term is that in the near field the
> electric field vector is radial from (or to) the current position
> of the charge in the constant velocity case.  It is just as Jerry
> mentioned a long time ago:  in the case of a predictable motion,
> nature knows how to fix it.  It might be that is necessary for
> special relativity and frame invariance, but it is surprising.
>
> Using that term, in the case of a slowly oscillating charge,
> it wouldn't be surprising if the field wasn't what you would expect
> from an appropriately delayed Coulomb field.
>
> The third term is the acceleration term, the only one you see
> in the far field, especially for neutral sources.
>
> > But start with a single stationary charge in one frame of reference
> > (in this frame the potentials are trivial) and then view the charge
> > from a moving frame and using 4-vector calculus you get the new
> > potentials. The curl of the magnetic vector potential will give you
> > the B fields resulting from a single moving charge. A lot of Physics
> > books will start with the Biot-Savart law and work from there avoiding
> > the relativity approach. But it makes it much easier to calculate.
>
> My college class used the Berkely book, which does get into the
> relativistic form pretty fast, but not quite the same as Feynman
> does it.  We did have the whole 4-vector explanation, but I don't
> think we had homework problems using it.
>
> -- glen

I had this in two different courses. Obviously this comes in E&M where
we used the book by Jackson. Apparently most grad programs in physics
use Jackson. So much so, that some of our foreign students had knock
off copies of the text provided to them by their home country printed
up with many errors not in the official text! 4-vectors were again
demostrated in relativistic astrophysics, which again would be more
appropriate for physics guys than EE guys. And we had homework with 4-
vectors in both courses. I found them to be so useful, that looking
back to other methods seems a bit primative. But that is the advantage
of using a well honed theory. For example deriving the relativistic
doppler shift is simple when one notes that for all observers the
phase of the wave is invariant and therefore the scalar temporal
frequency and the vector "wavenumber" become the transformed quanties.
Even Fresnel's equation for the velocity of light through moving media
becomes trivial to derive once Einstein's velocity addition formula is
applied. Einstein's formula may be easily derived from two
applications of 4-vec transformations.

I don't see many EEs taking this subject this deep (gets kinda far
afield for thier studies) but the salient point there is Maxwell's
eqns are invariant under the Lorentz transformation. Particular
features of the theory may be taken from there by various means.

But to get back to Mr Walker's problem, we see in atomic physics most
transitions involve the dipole approximation which says other
transitions can't happen. But they do, so these are called "forbidden
transitions." Since they occur with lower likelihood the dipole theory
is mostly correct, but like most theories some approximations and
simplications are applied to make the theory tractable. With nearfield
stuff involving antennas one really needs to resort to something like
L & R's theory of retarded potentials. The math quickly gets hairy and
encourages one to approximate and this is where some unreal things
show up in the approximate theory but a thorough and complete
application resolves the quirks.

Clay

p.s. I think Feyman's 3 volume lecture set should be required reading
for all undergraduate physics majors.
From: Clay on
On Mar 31, 7:44 pm, robert bristow-johnson <r...(a)audioimagination.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> > > that the electromagnetic interaction (in the classical context) is
> > > none other than just the sole electrostatic interaction with
> > > relativistic effects applied.
>
> > > i s'pose the same can be done with lines of mass and the static
> > > Newtonian gravitational interaction, also applying special relativity
> > > and what you'll get out would be consistent with GEM (gravito-electro-
> > > magnetism) where Maxwell's and Lorentz equations have mass (or mass
> > > density) replacing charge (or charge density) and the Coulomb
> > > constant, 1/(4*pi*epsilon_0), is replaced with -G (the minus sign is
> > > because like-signed charges repel while like-signed masses attract).
> > > for some reason (that i don't really get), the gravito-magnetic force
> > > has an extra factor of 2 tossed into it (at least that's what the lit
> > > seems to say).
>
> > > but, i think either classical EM or GEM can both be sorta understood
> > > by considering the simple Coulomb or Newtonian static model with
> > > relativistic effects.  that's why we know that the magnetic
> > > interaction is really just a consequence of the static interaction and
> > > not a separate fundamental interaction.
>
> > The quick and easy way is via 4-vectors.
>
> i might call that "the formal and general and legitimate way".  and i
> don't see how you would teach that to college sophomores after they
> have first learned about classical EM and later about special
> relativity.  engineering/physics/chem majors in their sophomore year
> should know how to derive the electrostatic field due to an infinite
> line of charge and how that field will act on a little segment (of
> given length) of another infinite line of charge (where nothing is
> moving).  and they should know how to derive the electromagnetic field
> of an identical line of charge that is moving (co-linearly) at some
> known velocity and how that magnetic field would act on a short
> segment of another similar line of charge that is moving with a know
> velocity.  and, once they accept the postulates (i really think that
> only one postulate is needed) of special relativity, they should
> understand where time dilation comes from and how to apply that to an
> observer in motion relative to another observer.
>
> it's a special case.  it does not prove it in the general case, but i
> think it can be used to persuade a student who hasn't yet (and may
> never) learned about Minkowski spacetime, tensors, and 4-vectors, that
> the classical magnetic interaction is nothing more than the
> electrostatic interaction with special relativity considered.
>
> and, being an EE into DSP and being a third of a century away from any
> formal physics class, it's about where my atrophied neurons regarding
> all of this are stuck.  and i never had a physics class where anything
> other than the basics of special relativity had been taught (in
> "General Physics").  i never had a course in formal SR (with Minkowki
> constructs) or in GR (but i think i am okay about the postulates of

I understand everyone comes at this from different backgrounds and
perspectives. Rigorous nearfield stuff with antennas is going to be
mathematically hairy no matter the approach and awaits those in grad
school. Kraus's book on antennas is very good, and it is from a EE's
approach. He also wrote a more general book on E & M. You may have had
one of these, since you went through a EE program. I went 1st through
a mathematics and then a physics program so my viewpoint is different
from that of many others. This is sometimes good and sometimes not so
good ;-) And I agree one of the perils of aging is a slowing of the
brain (mental obtundation)

As an aside, the math for general relativity is so obtuse that
Schwarzschild's solution for the spherically symmetric case (the
simplest one) was worked out about a dozen times by people not
realizing that other worked out solutions were the same solution! We
spent a fair bit of time in the GR course working through the details
of the Schwartzschild case. The Schwarzschild Radius for blackholes
comes from this.

Clay

Clay