From: Clueless in Seattle on
I'm disabled by chronic health problems that make it difficult for me to sit
up for very long and require me to spend a lot of time lying in bed resting.

I recently received from a kind acquaintance an older laptop that's running
Windows XP Home.

I've been trying to connect it in a peer-to-peer network with my much older
desktop computer which is running Windows 2K Pro.

I'd like to use the laptop from bed to access the files on my desk machine.
I used to work this way with an older laptop running Win 2K, but the screen
backlight on that laptop failed months ago, so I can no longer work from that
machine. However I still have it connected in a peer-to-peer network with
the desktop machine and use its hard drive to back up files from the desktop.

So, I know that the desktop machine is capable of and is configured properly
for networking with another machine as long as both machines are running Win
2K.

I just can't figure out how to get it to network with the XP machine.
--
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
From: Bob Lin (MS-MVP) on
This step by step how to may help
How to enable windows sharing
How to enable Windows sharing. One of the reasons to create a
workgroup or domain network is for all ... How to share two computers
separated by a router ...
www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/enablesharing0.htm

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Clueless in Seattle" <CluelessinSeattle(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D8BBE090-B32A-48CC-A86D-F0DE69B04429(a)microsoft.com...

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Firewall instructions.
Win 2000 File Sharing,
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kshare.html
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing
XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing
XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Clueless in Seattle on
Hi Jack,

Thanks for those suggestions.

I'm using the Free Ashampoo Firewall and have it configured like this on
both machines:

Local connections are not being monitored
LAN connections are not being monitored

On the Toshiba laptop I looked at the properties of the TCP/IP protocol and
it's set to:

Obtain an IP address automatically
Obtain DNS server address automatically

From what you wrote, I understand you to be saying that I have to come up
with Network IP numbers and then enter those into the Firewall. Have I
understood you correctly?

If so, could you explain to me where to look for the IP numbers?

As you can tell from the foregoing, this is all pretty much incomprehensible
to me, so I need someone patient enough to walk me through the process step
by step.

Right now I have the two machines connected with a crossover cable (the same
cable that works fine to connect the two machines, both running Win 2K.

But when I connect the Win 2K machine to this XP laptop, the network icon
says:

Local Area Connection
Speed: 100.0 Mbps

Then:

I have the same User logon on both machines, and the same Workgroup name.

But I don't use a password for the User I.D.s I just left that blank when I
created or renamed the User I.D.s. Could the lack of a password pose a
problem?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
In lack of comprehensive description concerning all the Network related
hardware and how they are connected there is Not too much that can be done
in order to help.
When you connect two computers with crossover cable there No DHCP server
that can assign Auto. IPs (In most cease it is a function of a Wireless
Cable/DSL Router used by many people).
The solution is to set the two computers with static IP.
As an example one computer should be 192.168.1.1 and the other 192.168.1.2
http://www.hotcomm.com/faq/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Clueless in Seattle" <CluelessinSeattle(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F6684BD2-582C-4C68-8898-47D40E3DE2F4(a)microsoft.com...