From: big country on
Problem:

Have an 11 meg internet connection,(download) But I cant get over 5 meg
download (speakeasy test))when using my wireless connection. (using Linksys
11b/g/n router.) PC wireless adapter is at top bitrate of 54mbps.

Info:

Running windows XP sp3 all OS updates on a Dell Latitude d520. The wireless
card is an 11b/g Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card with the latest drivers.
When I go hard wired straight to my router I can get the full download
throughput of 11 meg. I also have tried a Ubiquiti 11b/g wireless PC Card
that connects at the top bitrate but can only get 5 meg download as well.
Here's the kicker: My daughter has a Dell Studio Laptop. She can connect
wirelessly at a bitrate of 54mbps to my router and she gets the full 11 meg
download on speakeasy test. So that really blows my mind. Its like my laptop
is forcing B only mode speeds regardless of what kind of wireless card I use
even though its connects at G speeds.

What I have done:

Tinkered around with some of the advanced properties of the wireless driver.
I have ran all the diagnostics that are included with the driver utility and
everything passed. Thats about it. This is really got me stumped.
I have ruled out a router problem and it cant be a tcp/ip problem with my PC
since I can get the full speed over a hard wire.

Anybody else run into this before?

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Try to optimize the TCP/IP stack.
Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: big country on
Hi Jack, man that Dr TCP worked beautifully! Thanks. Since I could get all
of the 11 meg over a hard wire, I was thinking it was something at a higher
level and not the tcp/ip stack. I did not realize the tcp/ip stack
parameters could be different for each adapter.

From: Linea Recta on
"Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack(a)discussiongroup.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi
> Try to optimize the TCP/IP stack.
> Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

Can this be used both for Windows Vista and XP?

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

From: Bernd on

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <jack(a)discussiongroup.com> schreef in bericht
>> Hi
>> Try to optimize the TCP/IP stack.
>> Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>>

> Can this be used both for Windows Vista and XP?

No, drtcp i for 2k and XP only.

Bernd