From: Tunamonster on
I am doing a house remodel and will have some asbestos removed. How do I make
it so that there are no other tasks scheduled at the same time as the
asbestos abatement?

I have tried making a "House" work resource to act as a semaphore but it
doesn't seem to mind overscheduling it.
From: Stuart Rosen on

This should be as simple as making everything that needs to happen
before the asbestos removal a predecessor, and everything that can only
start after the asbestos removal a successor of your asbestos removal
task.

--
Stuart Rosen
Stuart Rosen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/199571.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Prasad on

Stuart,

What about a task that can be executed either before or after the
asbestos removal?

Prasad
From: Stuart Rosen on

I am not aware of a way that the tool can decide this to you. It's a
bit difficult to suggest the best method of dealing with this without
knowing more about the project.

I'd suggest the project manager needs to plan which of these tasks will
most likely be done before the asbestos removal as have the asbestos
removal as a successor to these. The tasks that are likely to be done
after asbestos removal would have the asbestos removal task as a
successor.

Depending on the nature of these tasks, you could schedule them to -*be
planned *- to run in parallel with the asbestos removal, and then change
the relationship once you know when the asbestos removal will actually
happen (by splitting those tasks that are already in progress when the
asbestos removal starts, or by changing the relationship so that these
tasks will only start after asbestos removal).

Good luck - this is one where the PM's knowledge will decide the best
way of handling it.

From: Jim Aksel on
This is a bit of a challenge to do dynamically. Certainly the "finsh befor
abatement" and "Start aftetr abatement" can be handled with appropriate
predecessors/successors.

There are two issues, tasks in progress may need to be split as they will
suspend during the abatement process, and, tasks that may be performed "any"
time. More than likely, you will be driven by the availability of your
abatement resources. The abatement team will show up at the job site when
they complete their prior job and will only give you an estimate of when they
can show up.

I might consider creating two work calandars. One is a standard work week,
the other has the dates when the abatement team will be working set as
"non-working time". Assign the calendar with this non-working time to all
the tasks except abatement tasks. The abatement tasks use the standard
calendar. Now, as the scheduling progressess, the takes will autmomatically
schedule themeselves with a down period during abatement. You will need to
monitor this closely, if the abatment team notifies you they will start on a
different day, then you will have to change the working time of your calendar
to accomodate their change. At least you only have to change it in one place.

--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim Aksel, MVP

Check out my blog for more information:
http://www.msprojectblog.com