From: Danny_dH on
Hello,

I'm a total Project Noob. I'm using Project 2007 and I want to do a
'simple'? task.

I have a main project (MAIN). Then I have a sub project (indent 1)(SUB).
This sub has 2 subprojects (indent 2) (SUB1 - SUB2).
So it looks like this:
MAIN start: 01/01 - end: 03/01
dur: 3 days
SUB start: 01/01 - end: 03/01
dur: 3 days
SUB1 start: 01/01 - end: 01/01
dur: 1day
SUB2 start: 03/01 - end: 03/01
dur: 1day

Now, that Projects says that the duration is 3 days.. ok.. I can live with
that, but then I add a column named actual duration.. and that one does the
same.
When I now add a column 'Actual Work', it tells me SUB1: 8h, SUB2: 8h, SUB:
16h, MAIN: 16h.... so this column does a correct calculation.

Now how can I add a column, which gives me the correct REAL sum of workdays,
so one that says 2 days... I just want to have this overview to calculate my
total number of spent workdays.

Sorry if this is a stupidly simple question, but.. I don't seem to be able
to find it.

Any help should be appreciated.
From: JulieS on
Hello Danny_dH,

Hmm. Well something does seem off. Jan 1 in 2010 was a Friday.
Jan 3 was a Sunday. Have you changed your calendar to allow
working on weekends? Okay, so assuming you've allowed 7 working
days -- that does work. But if you've changed your calendar, then
it *is* 3 working days.

Actual Duration is used when tracking, and unless the project has
been tracked, Actual Duration should be zero.

So, let's start over. What is your calendar definition? What
are your working days?

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

From: Danny_dH on
Hello Julie,

sorry bout the bad choice of date: I acutally ment 3 following days:

better example:
Mon 4 jan > Wed 6 Jan
I am using the standard calendar, meaning, Mon-Fri, 8.00 > 12.00, 13.00 >
17.00
The rest of my situation stays the same.. so I hope this is more clear..

sorry bout the misunderstanding.
Danny

From: JulieS on
Thanks for the clarification, Danny. That helps.

The summary (Main in your example) calculation is correct. If
one of the subproject's total duration is 3 days, then the
summary duration is 3 days. I don't understand how you expect it
to show 2 workdays if it starts on Monday and ends at the end of
the day on Wednesday. Is that not 3 days?

I think the issue is in your interpretation of duration. It is
*not* "man hours". If you'd like to see man hours, the correct
field is Work. You may display work in days if that helps. See
Tools > Options, Schedule tab -- "Work is entered in" setting.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

From: Danny_dH on
Hey Julie,

well.. it is as you say: my idea of worked days/hours is different then what
project does with it..

My idea was that, when choosing the column 'actual duration', project should
calculate everything in days.

I now changed the "Work is entered in" to days.. and now calculation is
fine in days.. but I cannot enter hours anymore..

maybe I want to much of it ;)
Is there a way to have both?

Thanks for helping me out Julie :)