From: Guy on
I've installed a version of Win XP that was stripped of the SmartCard service
(SCardSvr.exe and some DLLs).

I need it however for supporting my bank's authentication USB key.

How can I reinstall the service? I can copy any missing files from another
full installation of XP I have, but what registry additions or other things
must I do to enable it to function correctly?

Thanks!!
From: Mark L. Ferguson on
Description of the software update for Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service
Provider : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909520/en-us
--
helpful? click "Yes" button. Voting helps the web interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

From: Allan on

"Guy" <Guy(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've installed a version of Win XP that was stripped of the SmartCard
> service
> (SCardSvr.exe and some DLLs).
>
> I need it however for supporting my bank's authentication USB key.
>
> How can I reinstall the service? I can copy any missing files from another
> full installation of XP I have, but what registry additions or other
> things
> must I do to enable it to function correctly?
>
> Thanks!!
I think it is included with .net framework 3.0. If it is not installed
already go to MS update; if it is already installed (check in Add/Remove
programs with "show updates" box checked) then uninstall and reinstall,
always with your anti-virus program disabled temporarily. When you go to
Control Panel there should be a Smart Card applet if it is installed.

From: Suslik luna Suslik on
I am afraid there is no solution for Windows XP except reinstalling the OS;
while there is a solution for Windows 2000.

There is a workaround for Windows XP, but it relies on the use of a non-free
third-party program.

Both methods are described here:
http://railean.net/index.php/2006/12/19/restoring_the_smart_card_service_in_wind_2000

From: Allan on

"Suslik luna" <Suslik luna(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am afraid there is no solution for Windows XP except reinstalling the OS;
> while there is a solution for Windows 2000.
>
> There is a workaround for Windows XP, but it relies on the use of a
> non-free
> third-party program.
>
> Both methods are described here:
> http://railean.net/index.php/2006/12/19/restoring_the_smart_card_service_in_wind_2000

Maybe his bank will reimburse him since it is their security feature that he
wants to access. It does not hurt to ask.