From: Paula on
Hi, All,

Using XP Pro, having problem with IE 'encountering a problem and shutting
down' - module urlmon.dll. I went to Microsoft website and ran regsvr32
urlmon.dll, and the other dlls as suggested. I still get the shut down and
urlmon.dll module showing up.

Any suggestions? I have not added software or made changes to system. I
have tried to restore to an earlier time, but continue to get the same
issue.

All help appreciated.

Paula

From: nass on

"Paula" wrote:

> Hi, All,
>
> Using XP Pro, having problem with IE 'encountering a problem and shutting
> down' - module urlmon.dll. I went to Microsoft website and ran regsvr32
> urlmon.dll, and the other dlls as suggested. I still get the shut down and
> urlmon.dll module showing up.
>
> Any suggestions? I have not added software or made changes to system. I
> have tried to restore to an earlier time, but continue to get the same
> issue.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Paula

Hi Paula,
Do you have any third-party toolbars install, have a look in the Add/Remove
Programs and see if there is any toolbar there and uninstall it then run Disk
Clean up and see if the issue will resolve.

If you don't have the above try this:

*Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Tabs:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256

Then open a run command and type in:
iexplorer /rereg click [OK] and let it run then Reboot/Restart your
machine, does it help?.

Or open a run command again and type in:
sfc /scannow click [OK] and let it run then Reboot your machine.

Open a Notepad, customize or minimize to the taskbar as you will need it
later for this step to copy the error message on it.
Open a run command and type in:
eventvwr.msc click [OK] you will get the Event viewer control Panel.
click on each of these:
Application
System
Security
Look in the right Pane/window for error message with red (X) or Yellow
exclamation mark /!\ , double click each one to get more info about the
causer.
On the Event error properties message you will see:
Up Arrow
Down arrow
Two pages
Click on the two pages to copy the error message then bring up the Notepad
you opened earlier and right click on the first line and select Paste from
the list, this will paste the error message on a Notepad.
Please don't duplicate the error message one of each kind will be sufficient.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

Please we need just the error messages with Red (X) and don't repeat the
error, just one of each kind and post them back in your next post.
I will assume the system is clean and running an up2date Anti-Virus
application, so try to capture the Process that causing this crash, either by
downloading the Process explorer from Ms site or by Task manager.
HTH.
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

From: nass on

"nass" wrote:

> [...]
> On the Event error properties message you will see:
> Up Arrow
> Down arrow
> Two pages
> Click on the two pages to copy the error message then bring up the Notepad
> you opened earlier and right click on the first line and select Paste from
> the list, this will paste the error message on a Notepad.
> Please don't duplicate the error message one of each kind will be sufficient.
> HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>
> Please we need just the error messages with Red (X) and don't repeat the
> error, just one of each kind and post them back in your next post.
> I will assume the system is clean and running an up2date Anti-Virus
> application, so try to capture the Process that causing this crash, either by
> downloading the Process explorer from Ms site or by Task manager.

Forget this hotfix:
Internet Explorer stops responding or shuts down when it downloads a
compressed metadata assembly
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841237

From: MAP on
Uninstall kb942615 from add/remove and reboot.
--
Mike Pawlak

From: Paula on
Uninstalling this seemed to fix the problem. I noticed there were several
other files associated with it and there was a message that removal of this
file could impact the performance of the other files. My system is
functioning at a slower pace than before. Could this be related?

Also, I checked to be certain I had updates set to be downloaded but not
filed until I reviewed them. But, the system overrode my setting and
installed them automatically. And, yes, this 'nasty' file was there again.
Any thoughts on what gremlin causes the auto install to reset itself?

Thanks to all for the replies. I will keep them handy if this fix doesn't
stay.

Paula