From: Grant Taylor on
Does any one know how to remove the configuration (IP address, netmask,
default gateway, etc) for a network adapter that has been removed from a
Windows server /after/ the physical NIC has been removed?

I ran in to this recently after a p2v conversion when I went to
re-configure the IP settings on the virtual adapter. In doing so, I got
a pop-up saying that the same IP address (etc) was still configured on
an adapter that had been removed from the system.

I was able to find the information in the registry and remove it so that
Windows would not prompt, but I don't think that is a very graceful way
to clean up something like that.

The removed NIC did not show up in any of the usual locations to view /
edit / remove:
- Network Properties
- ipconfig command
- netsh command

I was curious if any one knew any thing that I didn't or if this is a
rare situation that isn't handled by the wonderful GUI interface that is
Windows.

Grant. . . .
From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Grant,

Have a look into "Method 6: Check for nonpresent, ghosted, or hidden network
adapters":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

or "Method 2":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Grant Taylor on
On 06/30/10 15:08, Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] wrote:
> Have a look into "Method 6: Check for nonpresent, ghosted, or hidden
> network adapters":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826

Method 6 appears to be (better) documented in MS KB 269155, which a
colleague just sent me a link to.

> or "Method 2":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269155

*nod*

I will be using that when I finish the next p2v conversion.

Thank you Meinolf. Expert advice from you as usual. :-)

Grant. . . .
From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Grant,

You're welcome. :-)

PS: Keep in mind that this newsgroup should be closed on 01.07.2010 and then
you have to use the TechNet forum instead:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/threads

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Phillip Windell on
For furture situations,
If I am about to do something that might create this situation I set the Nic
to Automatic (DHCP) first. Then it won't give you any problems because it
is "ok" to have multiple Nics set to DHCP.

--
Phillip Windell