From: Bob Alston on
Banana wrote:
> On 7/8/10 8:31 AM, Bob Alston wrote:
>> Why not fully convert to MySQL?
>>
>> bob
>
> It should be pointed out that MySQL is just a database and doesn't have
> any forms or reports... like SQL Server, so one cannot "fully convert to
> MySQL" from an Access as an application. Sure, you could move data from
> Access to MySQL (or any other RDBMS) but you still have to deal with the
> application aspect that's not provided by any RDBMS.
>
> Thus it would make more sense to say "convert to a PHP application"*.
> However, I think the OP already indicate that there's a website so
> there's already a PHP application. There is nothing wrong with using
> Access as a front-end to MySQL, and as Karl mentioned, one could use
> ODBC to connect directly to MySQL and thus avoid the need to send a POST
> request to the PHP application. That would certainly be much simpler
> than writing VBA to build the POST request via MSXML library.
>

> *Doesn't have to be PHP - could easily be any other web scripting
> language for all I know but that's the most common language used in
> conjunction with MySQL.
I meant to say convert the database portion of Access, the Jet database
part, to Mysql. That way you can still use the Access forms, queries
and reports just have the data all in one place.
From: Banana on
On 7/8/10 8:46 AM, Bob Alston wrote:
> I meant to say convert the database portion of Access, the Jet database
> part, to Mysql. That way you can still use the Access forms, queries and
> reports just have the data all in one place.

Ahh, I was under the impression that the OP already had all data in
MySQL, but yes, if that is not the case, then that's even worse as
there'll be synchronization issues that can be best avoided although.
From: David W. Fenton on
Rick Brandt <rickbrandt2(a)hotmail.com> wrote in

> JeffP wrote:
>
>> Can't seem to find a start on this.
>>
>> I have a hosted website with a MySQL database.
>>
>> Locally, on my PC, I have an Access database.
>>
>> I would love to be able to click a button and have data sent to
>> the MySQL database on the website.
>>
>> Assumedly, the database needs to send this like a form data post
>> from a web page and have a PHP page on the website that receives
>> it and updates the MySQL database. But how do you get Access to
>> mimic data submitted from a website form?
>>
>> All help appreciated.
>
> You can use the Windows MSXML dll to make HTTPRequests from VBA
> code.

But without something on the server side to consume those, what
would you be accomplishing? That is, there has to be a script to
handle the HTTPRequests you are sending to the website.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Karl <karl3200(a)gmail.com> wrote in
m:

> You can use ODBC.

With a website? Not with the normal website hosting packages, which
don't expose an external port for connecting to the database.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Banana <Banana(a)Republic.com> wrote in

> On 7/8/10 8:31 AM, Bob Alston wrote:
>> Why not fully convert to MySQL?
>>
>> bob
>
> It should be pointed out that MySQL is just a database and doesn't
> have any forms or reports... like SQL Server, so one cannot "fully
> convert to MySQL" from an Access as an application. Sure, you
> could move data from Access to MySQL (or any other RDBMS) but you
> still have to deal with the application aspect that's not provided
> by any RDBMS.
>
> Thus it would make more sense to say "convert to a PHP
> application"*. However, I think the OP already indicate that
> there's a website so there's already a PHP application. There is
> nothing wrong with using Access as a front-end to MySQL, and as
> Karl mentioned, one could use ODBC to connect directly to MySQL
> and thus avoid the need to send a POST request to the PHP
> application. That would certainly be much simpler than writing VBA
> to build the POST request via MSXML library.

Everyone assumes to be assuming way too much about the environment.

I happen to be working right now for a client whose inventory is
their Access app (that I built for them in 1997 and have been
updating and enhancing on a regular basis since then), and their
website has a MySQL database behind it. They don't want their
inventory database on their website, because they only put a subset
of their inventory on the website. So, the MySQL database is a slave
of the Access database.

Now, with normal Linux-based web hosting, you don't get an open port
to connect to the database externally, and that's a good thing! So,
it would be impossible to use ODBC to upload data to the website
database.

Instead, I have written PHP pages for adding and editing data that I
call via MS XMLHTTP calls.

And when the MySQL database is not on your local LAN/WAN or on a
website without a port that is publicly accessible from the Internet
(a gaping security hole, of course), then you must do the
interaction exactly as I described unless you want to do it
manually.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last