From: JeffP on
Can't seem to find a start on this.

I have a hosted website with a MySQL database.

Locally, on my PC, I have an Access database.

I would love to be able to click a button and have data sent to the MySQL
database on the website.

Assumedly, the database needs to send this like a form data post from a web
page and have a PHP page on the website that receives it and updates the
MySQL database. But how do you get Access to mimic data submitted from a
website form?

All help appreciated.

From: Rick Brandt on
JeffP wrote:

> Can't seem to find a start on this.
>
> I have a hosted website with a MySQL database.
>
> Locally, on my PC, I have an Access database.
>
> I would love to be able to click a button and have data sent to the MySQL
> database on the website.
>
> Assumedly, the database needs to send this like a form data post from a
> web page and have a PHP page on the website that receives it and updates
> the MySQL database. But how do you get Access to mimic data submitted from
> a website form?
>
> All help appreciated.

You can use the Windows MSXML dll to make HTTPRequests from VBA code.
From: Karl on
You can use ODBC.

From: Bob Alston on
Rick Brandt wrote:
> JeffP wrote:
>
>> Can't seem to find a start on this.
>>
>> I have a hosted website with a MySQL database.
>>
>> Locally, on my PC, I have an Access database.
>>
>> I would love to be able to click a button and have data sent to the MySQL
>> database on the website.
>>
>> Assumedly, the database needs to send this like a form data post from a
>> web page and have a PHP page on the website that receives it and updates
>> the MySQL database. But how do you get Access to mimic data submitted from
>> a website form?
>>
>> All help appreciated.
>
> You can use the Windows MSXML dll to make HTTPRequests from VBA code.
Why not fully convert to MySQL?

bob
From: Banana on
On 7/8/10 8:31 AM, Bob Alston wrote:
> Why not fully convert to MySQL?
>
> bob

It should be pointed out that MySQL is just a database and doesn't have
any forms or reports... like SQL Server, so one cannot "fully convert to
MySQL" from an Access as an application. Sure, you could move data from
Access to MySQL (or any other RDBMS) but you still have to deal with the
application aspect that's not provided by any RDBMS.

Thus it would make more sense to say "convert to a PHP application"*.
However, I think the OP already indicate that there's a website so
there's already a PHP application. There is nothing wrong with using
Access as a front-end to MySQL, and as Karl mentioned, one could use
ODBC to connect directly to MySQL and thus avoid the need to send a POST
request to the PHP application. That would certainly be much simpler
than writing VBA to build the POST request via MSXML library.

*Doesn't have to be PHP - could easily be any other web scripting
language for all I know but that's the most common language used in
conjunction with MySQL.