From: JeffP on
Hi David

Sorry for not answering anybody earlier on this but after posting I had to
attend to off-site matters.

Anyway, my situation is this -

There is an existing Access database in the office. It is used daily for
fairly major business activities.

There is a hosted website, actually built using Joomla, that has a MySQL
database.

We want to simply take a subset of data from the Access database and copy it
up to the website database. There is no functionality on the website for
entering this data, and there never will be. It is data for read only
purposes on the website. Like a product list.

Once the functionality is developed it will be scheduled to happen out of
hours without human input, and maybe manually as I previously suggested. No
problems with that.

The only thing I am not sure on how to do is actually get the data from the
Access database to the hosted website (hosted being the problem).

Sounds like you are very familiar with the situation and the XMLHTTP calls
are the solution. I just now need to work out how to do that.

Thanks for your help
Jeff

From: Bob Alston on
JeffP wrote:
> [...]
>> website has a MySQL database behind it. They don't want their
>> inventory database on their website, because they only put a subset
>> of their inventory on the website. So, the MySQL database is a slave
>> of the Access database.
>>
>> Now, with normal Linux-based web hosting, you don't get an open port
>> to connect to the database externally, and that's a good thing! So,
>> it would be impossible to use ODBC to upload data to the website
>> database.
>>
>> Instead, I have written PHP pages for adding and editing data that I
>> call via MS XMLHTTP calls.
>>
>> And when the MySQL database is not on your local LAN/WAN or on a
>> website without a port that is publicly accessible from the Internet
>> (a gaping security hole, of course), then you must do the
>> interaction exactly as I described unless you want to do it

Why not just use some of the MySQL data loading utilities to delete the
Mysql database and load it nightly??

bob
From: David W. Fenton on
Bob Alston <bobalston9(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> Why not just use some of the MySQL data loading utilities to
> delete the Mysql database and load it nightly??

Er, do you know anything about Joomla? Likely the data table
involved is part of the larger Joomla data store, so you don't want
to do that.

On the other hand, you might be onto something if the website offers
phpMyAdmin, which makes it pretty easy to truncate a table and load
new data from an uploaded text file.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/