From: David W. Fenton on
Bob Alston <bobalston9(a)yahoo.com> wrote in

> I meant to say convert the database portion of Access, the Jet
> database part, to Mysql. That way you can still use the Access
> forms, queries and reports just have the data all in one place.

This is generally not possible with a MySQL database on most web
hosts, which don't expose the database on an external port (for
obvious reasons).

It's also not necessarily desirable, as you may not want the two
databases to have the same data in them.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Banana <Banana(a)Republic.com> wrote in

> On 7/8/10 8:46 AM, Bob Alston wrote:
>> I meant to say convert the database portion of Access, the Jet
>> database part, to Mysql. That way you can still use the Access
>> forms, queries and reports just have the data all in one place.
>
> Ahh, I was under the impression that the OP already had all data
> in MySQL, but yes, if that is not the case, then that's even worse
> as there'll be synchronization issues that can be best avoided
> although.

Have any of you ever worked with clients who have an Access database
and a MySQL-driven website? It really doesn't sound like it.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Bob Alston on
David W. Fenton wrote:

> Have any of you ever worked with clients who have an Access database
> and a MySQL-driven website? It really doesn't sound like it.

Actually, no. I have only used MySQL for PHP based web apps. I have
used Access/jet in windows apps. Have you? do you have experience that
would suggest against doing this?

Bob
From: Bob Alston on
Bob Alston wrote:
> David W. Fenton wrote:
>
>> Have any of you ever worked with clients who have an Access database
>> and a MySQL-driven website? It really doesn't sound like it.
> Actually, no. I have only used MySQL for PHP based web apps. I have
> used Access/jet in windows apps. Have you? do you have experience that
> would suggest against doing this?
>
> Bob
For anyone interested, this is a link to a paper on linking Access front
ends to MySQL.

http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_access_visual_guide.php

Bob
From: Rick Brandt on
David W. Fenton wrote:

> Rick Brandt <rickbrandt2(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> JeffP wrote:
>>
>>> Can't seem to find a start on this.
>>>
>>> I have a hosted website with a MySQL database.
>>>
>>> Locally, on my PC, I have an Access database.
>>>
>>> I would love to be able to click a button and have data sent to
>>> the MySQL database on the website.
>>>
>>> Assumedly, the database needs to send this like a form data post
>>> from a web page and have a PHP page on the website that receives
>>> it and updates the MySQL database. But how do you get Access to
>>> mimic data submitted from a website form?
>>>
>>> All help appreciated.
>>
>> You can use the Windows MSXML dll to make HTTPRequests from VBA
>> code.
>
> But without something on the server side to consume those, what
> would you be accomplishing? That is, there has to be a script to
> handle the HTTPRequests you are sending to the website.

If there is currently a web page that can post data to the database it would
be doing so via HTTP would it not? I am assuming that the person who is
creating the Access app is also familiar with the design of the web site and
would therefore be able to construct the same POST from Access that they do
from the web page.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: After Delete Confirm problem