From: Timothy Madden on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:01:46 +0300, Timothy Madden <terminatorul(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I try to present the user with a pop-up menu using TrackPopupMenu, and
>> although I use menu items with text like _T("&Set UIO Area"), with an
>> ampersand in front of S to get the letter underlined in the menu so user
>> knows she can press 'S' key on the keyboard to chose the command from
>> the menu.
>>
>> However the letters never get underlined and I hear this is a Windows
>> 2000 "feature" (is that how they call bugs today ?) and that I have to
>> changes some system settings in display control panel to get the meniu
>> right.
>>
>> The problem is my client wants the shortcuts on the menu, and I can not
>> make settings on the client's computer :(
> ****
> This is not a decision your client is allowed to make, or has any power over. Only the
> end user can determine if this is going to be happening, and all they can do is accept the
> end user's decision. So the answer is: don't waste time trying to figure it out, and
> don't waste time trying to implement anything. It is not your decision, it is not your
> client's decision, it is solely and exclusively a decision that the end user, and ONLY the
> end user, is allowed to make. You put the &s in, and that is the end of your
> responsibility.

Of course I would not change the global settings for the user.

I want to ask if there is a way to change the settings for my
application only, or at least if I can convince my pop-up menu only to
display the damn underlines.

About the context menu key, the thing is I am subclassing the Web
Browser control to add some extra functionality (the ability to select
areas or parts of an HTML page) and to change the IE context menu, and I
think it would be nice if the user would still have some option left to
get the original IE menu in case she might need it. So I think it is a
good idea to open the new context menu, required by my client, with the
mouse, but still have the IE menu available if the context menu key is
used (as you may guess, my client is likely to never notice the original
menu is still there, and even if it does they are likely not interested
about it). The application is used for evaluatin web design outputs and
not for navigation, so the original IE8 page context menu is not needed
by the client.

Besides I find it a really reasonable request from my client to have the
key shortcuts on the menu, I mean really I think they should be there

Thank you
Timothy Madden