From: John Carter on
I have an M2N-E with the following disk config:

SATA1 WD 250
SATA2 WD 250
SATA3 WD 500
SATA4 WD 500
SATA5 WD Raptor 74
SATA6 HP DV writer

SATA 1 and 2 are RAID 1 array
SATA 3 and 4 are RAID 1 array

I am getting indications from the SYSTEM event log that the
disk on SATA 4 is giving parity errors. However when I take
that drive out of the system and use it on another system, it
performs flawlessly, which points to SATA 4 port.

What diagnostic tool is available to exercise the port in question
to actually determine its viability ?

In the worst case, if the port is bad and I need the RAID 1 capability,
what alternatives do I have to do this without changing the moterboard?

My business at this time precludes me from a MB change - so I need a
quick and dirty workaround until I have the time to change the MB.

Can I buy a SATA RAID card, plug it in and use my 2 WD 500 drives
without removing them from the machine ?

Or should I buy a SATA card and connect the WD 74 and HP DVD writer
to the card and move my RAID 1 from SATA 3 and 4 to SATA 5 and 6 ?

Thannks for any and all replies.
From: Rob on

"John Carter" <me(a)mymailsvr.org> wrote in message
>I have an M2N-E with the following disk config:
>
> SATA1 WD 250
> SATA2 WD 250
> SATA3 WD 500
> SATA4 WD 500
> SATA5 WD Raptor 74
> SATA6 HP DV writer
>
> SATA 1 and 2 are RAID 1 array
> SATA 3 and 4 are RAID 1 array
>
> I am getting indications from the SYSTEM event log that the
> disk on SATA 4 is giving parity errors. However when I take
> that drive out of the system and use it on another system, it
> performs flawlessly, which points to SATA 4 port.
>
> What diagnostic tool is available to exercise the port in question
> to actually determine its viability ?
>

> In the worst case, if the port is bad and I need the RAID 1 capability,
> what alternatives do I have to do this without changing the moterboard?
>
> My business at this time precludes me from a MB change - so I need a
> quick and dirty workaround until I have the time to change the MB.
>
> Can I buy a SATA RAID card, plug it in and use my 2 WD 500 drives
> without removing them from the machine ?
>
> Or should I buy a SATA card and connect the WD 74 and HP DVD writer
> to the card and move my RAID 1 from SATA 3 and 4 to SATA 5 and 6 ?
>
> Thannks for any and all replies.

Try replacing the SATA cable first, as that is easy to try. I've seen
a couple of bad ones (out of a few hundred.)
You could also try swapping SATA 3 and 4 drives over - if the
parity error follows the drive, you know the drive (probably its'
interface electronics) is the culprit. If it stays on SATA4, it could
be the motherboard port, as you say.

HTH,
--
Rob