From: Rajah! on
Hi

Got an M2N-SLI Deluxe, running WinXPP SP3, 32 bit. Bought a Kingwin
EZD-2535 external HD dock, with USB and eSATA cable connection
options. USB works fine, nothing with eSATA.

Does anyone with an M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo have an eSATA based HD dock?
If so, what brand & model?

Both ASUS and Kingwin replaced their hardware trying to resolve the
problem. Both were extremely reasonable on the exchanges. I'm pretty
sure that this specific HD dock just will not work with this
particular mobo through the eSATA port - so I'm looking for one that
will.

Note - drives work fine when connected internally via internal SATA
port & power supply.
From: Paul on
Rajah! wrote:
> Hi
>
> Got an M2N-SLI Deluxe, running WinXPP SP3, 32 bit. Bought a Kingwin
> EZD-2535 external HD dock, with USB and eSATA cable connection
> options. USB works fine, nothing with eSATA.
>
> Does anyone with an M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo have an eSATA based HD dock?
> If so, what brand & model?
>
> Both ASUS and Kingwin replaced their hardware trying to resolve the
> problem. Both were extremely reasonable on the exchanges. I'm pretty
> sure that this specific HD dock just will not work with this
> particular mobo through the eSATA port - so I'm looking for one that
> will.
>
> Note - drives work fine when connected internally via internal SATA
> port & power supply.

Did you install the JMB363 driver ? Do you see some kind of entry
in Device Manager, to show you the driver is installed ? Check the
INF file in the JMB363 driver folder, and read what entries
it is trying to create, and verify they exist in Device
Manager.

Have you unplugged the USB connector to the EZD-2535 ? You cannot
leave both the USB and ESATA connected at the same time. Enclosures
with multiple connectors, only support one connector at a time.
Connect only one cable. Turn off the enclosure power and then back
on again, so the enclosure detects which cable is in use.

As an experiment, have you inserted the "Force150" jumper on
the back of the hard drive ? Some hard drives have a 1x4 set of
pins, and two of those pins are the "Force150" function,
for slowing down the cable communications rate. If there was a problem
with the cable (pinched, bent, cut), maybe the cable might work
a bit better at 150MB/sec.

(As an example of jumper info, look for "Force 150" in this document.)

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/documentation/installation_guides/diamondmax20_and_21_installation_guide_sata_en.pdf

(Not all brands of drives have jumpers. For example, Hitachi does not.
On Hitachi, you use the Drive Feature Tool, to set the cable speed
electronically. See page 22. Naturally, you need a SATA2 motherboard,
to use this tool. Which is not nearly as convenient as using a jumper.)

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FTool_User_Guide_215.pdf

Paul
From: Rajah! on
On Jan 26, 9:21 pm, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> Rajah! wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > Got an M2N-SLI Deluxe, running WinXPP SP3, 32 bit.  Bought a Kingwin
> > EZD-2535 external HD dock, with USB and eSATA cable connection
> > options.  USB works fine, nothing with eSATA.
>
> > Does anyone with an M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo have an eSATA based HD dock?
> > If so, what brand & model?
>
> > Both ASUS and Kingwin replaced their hardware trying to resolve the
> > problem.  Both were extremely reasonable on the exchanges.  I'm pretty
> > sure that this specific HD dock just will not work with this
> > particular mobo through the eSATA port - so I'm looking for one that
> > will.
>
> > Note - drives work fine when connected internally via internal SATA
> > port & power supply.
>
> Did you install the JMB363 driver ? Do you see some kind of entry
> in Device Manager, to show you the driver is installed ? Check the
> INF file in the JMB363 driver folder, and read what entries
> it is trying to create, and verify they exist in Device
> Manager.
>
> Have you unplugged the USB connector to the EZD-2535 ? You cannot
> leave both the USB and ESATA connected at the same time. Enclosures
> with multiple connectors, only support one connector at a time.
> Connect only one cable. Turn off the enclosure power and then back
> on again, so the enclosure detects which cable is in use.
>
> As an experiment, have you inserted the "Force150" jumper on
> the back of the hard drive ? Some hard drives have a 1x4 set of
> pins, and two of those pins are the "Force150" function,
> for slowing down the cable communications rate. If there was a problem
> with the cable (pinched, bent, cut), maybe the cable might work
> a bit better at 150MB/sec.
>
> (As an example of jumper info, look for "Force 150" in this document.)
>
> http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/documentation/install...
>
> (Not all brands of drives have jumpers. For example, Hitachi does not.
>   On Hitachi, you use the Drive Feature Tool, to set the cable speed
>   electronically. See page 22. Naturally, you need a SATA2 motherboard,
>   to use this tool. Which is not nearly as convenient as using a jumper..)
>
> http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/downloads/FTool_User_Guide_215.pdf
>
>     Paul

I downloaded (from ASUS) as well as tried to install the driver from
the ASUS Setup CD, but the program would not install it. I get the
message:

Error
No JMicron JMB36X SCSI adapter found! Setup program will terminate!

F:\My Documents\Downloads\JMicronJMB363_RAID_V117150_makedisk_xpvista
\RAID\Driver\amd64

There is the setting in BIOS - My BIOS is up to date [1701], and shows
the JMicron RAID Controller, which setting (the folks at ASUS say
should be on IDE) is now AHCI has no different results.
From: Paul on
Rajah! wrote:

> I downloaded (from ASUS) as well as tried to install the driver from
> the ASUS Setup CD, but the program would not install it. I get the
> message:
>
> Error
> No JMicron JMB36X SCSI adapter found! Setup program will terminate!
>
> F:\My Documents\Downloads\JMicronJMB363_RAID_V117150_makedisk_xpvista
> \RAID\Driver\amd64
>
> There is the setting in BIOS - My BIOS is up to date [1701], and shows
> the JMicron RAID Controller, which setting (the folks at ASUS say
> should be on IDE) is now AHCI has no different results.

Asus has their download. This would be similar in design to what you've got.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-SLI%20Deluxe/RAID_V11610.zip

The Jmicron download is very similar in structure.

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.53_WHQL_eSATA.zip

In either of those, I look in the "jraid_i.inf" file, for matching plug and play info.

%PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363

If you download Everest, run it, and check "Devices : PCI Devices", you should
look for evidence the Jmicron chip is present. The "Device ID" field, to match
the example I extracted from the "jraid_i.inf" file, should be "197B-2363".
That is how I'd check the hardware was active. This old version of Everest,
may not be able to name the Jmicron chip, but you can still use the
Device ID field for info.

"EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 "
http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

The BIOS setting should be set to "AHCI", as that may assist with supporting
hot-plug for ESATA. Usually, it is the same driver that gets installed
for either AHCI or RAID, but AHCI should be sufficient to do the job.
Sometimes on a motherboard, changing settings like this, changes how the
device reports itself in Windows.

JMicron SATAII Controller [AHCI]

If you've already tried all that, I don't know what else to do. Check
Device Manager, for signs of a problem, an error code or the like,
and maybe that info can be used to figure out what the problem is.

You can also look for "setupapi.log" on your C: partition. At the end
of the file, you may see log entries for the attempts to install the
latest hardware.

Paul
From: andy on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:04:02 -0800 (PST), "Rajah!"
<rjtmoore(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Got an M2N-SLI Deluxe, running WinXPP SP3, 32 bit. Bought a Kingwin
>EZD-2535 external HD dock, with USB and eSATA cable connection
>options. USB works fine, nothing with eSATA.

I have an EZD-2535W connected to a JMB363 eSATA controller on a
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard.

>Does anyone with an M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo have an eSATA based HD dock?
>If so, what brand & model?
>
>Both ASUS and Kingwin replaced their hardware trying to resolve the
>problem. Both were extremely reasonable on the exchanges. I'm pretty
>sure that this specific HD dock just will not work with this
>particular mobo through the eSATA port - so I'm looking for one that
>will.
>
>Note - drives work fine when connected internally via internal SATA
>port & power supply.

Is this with the SATA_RAID1 connector? Otherwise, you would be on the
nVidia SATA controller, which is independent of the JMicron
controller.

In the Bios, set the JMicron SATAII Controller to AHCI, and under
Windows XP, execute Setup.exe in folder
JMicronJMB363_RAID_V11764.zip\Raid\Jmb363.