From: Paul on
Rajah! wrote:
> Rolled a $9 dice bet and bought a expansion slot card with two eSATA
> ports that connect to SATA ports on the motherboard. My EZ Dock is
> now connected via the eSATA port.
>
> Still don't know where to look for the JMicron controller in Device
> Manager. The setting for JMicron RAID Controller is in the BIOS and
> set to AHCI. But trying to load the drivers fails, with the following
> error:
>
> Error!
> No JMicron JMB36X SCSI adapter found! Setup program will terminate!

As I suggested in my previous post, download Everest (the utility that
lists hardware). Look in the Devices:PCI Devices section, for an
entry %PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363. The free version of Everest, being
rather old now, may not be able to name the device in its displayed
information. But you should see some unnamed device, with 197B and
2363 as its Vendor and Device Numbers. In Everest, you would
look for "197B-2363" in the right hand pane, while looking at the
list of PCI devices and clicking them one by one for details.

If 197B-2363 doesn't show up, then that hardware device is dead or
disabled. If it is showing some other set of numbers (i.e. you have
an unidentified device, and you check its numbers), then it could be
defective. Also, it is possible Jmicron could change the part number,
as a function of the mode the device operates in. Some other hardware
works that way. I don't think the JMB363 has to do that, so don't
think that is a possibility. In any case, look for 197B-???? and
see if there are any Jmicron devices of unknown nature in the list.

You can also look in the setupapi.log file on your C: partition
(where the OS lives), and examine it for instances of VEN_197B&DEV_2363,
to see if it ever worked or was properly installed at some previous date.

Paul
From: Rajah! on
> > Error!
> > No JMicron JMB36X SCSI adapter found! Setup program will terminate!

> As I suggested in my previous post, download Everest (the utility that
> lists hardware). Look in the Devices:PCI Devices section, for an
> entry %PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363. The free version of Everest, being
> rather old now, may not be able to name the device in its displayed
> information. But you should see some unnamed device, with 197B and
> 2363 as its Vendor and Device Numbers. In Everest, you would
> look for "197B-2363" in the right hand pane, while looking at the
> list of PCI devices and clicking them one by one for details.
>
> If 197B-2363 doesn't show up, then that hardware device is dead or
> disabled. If it is showing some other set of numbers (i.e. you have
> an unidentified device, and you check its numbers), then it could be
> defective. Also, it is possible Jmicron could change the part number,
> as a function of the mode the device operates in. Some other hardware
> works that way. I don't think the JMB363 has to do that, so don't
> think that is a possibility. In any case, look for 197B-???? and
> see if there are any Jmicron devices of unknown nature in the list.
>
> You can also look in the setupapi.log file on your C: partition
> (where the OS lives), and examine it for instances of VEN_197B&DEV_2363,
> to see if it ever worked or was properly installed at some previous date.
>
>     Paul

Hi
I checked the setupapi.log file - no mention of JMicron or the string
you mentioned above.

Everest Ultimate has a free 30 day trial. There was no mention of
JMicron or the device you listed. Nor of 197B, either - I created a
text report from Everest and searched it.

This morning the eSATA-connected drive did not show up. But I checked
my cables, and one was loose. When I fully seated it, the drive
showed up immediately.
From: Paul on
Rajah! wrote:
>>> Error!
>>> No JMicron JMB36X SCSI adapter found! Setup program will terminate!
>
>> As I suggested in my previous post, download Everest (the utility that
>> lists hardware). Look in the Devices:PCI Devices section, for an
>> entry %PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363. The free version of Everest, being
>> rather old now, may not be able to name the device in its displayed
>> information. But you should see some unnamed device, with 197B and
>> 2363 as its Vendor and Device Numbers. In Everest, you would
>> look for "197B-2363" in the right hand pane, while looking at the
>> list of PCI devices and clicking them one by one for details.
>>
>> If 197B-2363 doesn't show up, then that hardware device is dead or
>> disabled. If it is showing some other set of numbers (i.e. you have
>> an unidentified device, and you check its numbers), then it could be
>> defective. Also, it is possible Jmicron could change the part number,
>> as a function of the mode the device operates in. Some other hardware
>> works that way. I don't think the JMB363 has to do that, so don't
>> think that is a possibility. In any case, look for 197B-???? and
>> see if there are any Jmicron devices of unknown nature in the list.
>>
>> You can also look in the setupapi.log file on your C: partition
>> (where the OS lives), and examine it for instances of VEN_197B&DEV_2363,
>> to see if it ever worked or was properly installed at some previous date.
>>
>> Paul
>
> Hi
> I checked the setupapi.log file - no mention of JMicron or the string
> you mentioned above.
>
> Everest Ultimate has a free 30 day trial. There was no mention of
> JMicron or the device you listed. Nor of 197B, either - I created a
> text report from Everest and searched it.
>
> This morning the eSATA-connected drive did not show up. But I checked
> my cables, and one was loose. When I fully seated it, the drive
> showed up immediately.

Is this your motherboard ?

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-013-S03?$S640W$

The JMB363 is just below the rightmost PCI Express x1 slot on the
motherboard. It should be showing up on the bus, and should be
visible in Everest. At least, as long as it is enabled in the BIOS.

If the ESATA drive is showing up immediately, something has to interface to
it. From the picture, my guess is, the six red SATA connectors are connected
to the Nvidia chip. The black SATA next to the JMB363 is connected
to the JMB363. And the ESATA on the I/O plate area on the back
of the computer, is also connected to the JMB363.

So it should be there, or at least the VEN and DEV should be showing
up for that device. You can also check in Device Manager for the
chip if you want.

There has to be an explanation hiding in there somewhere :-)

Paul
From: Rajah! on
On Feb 4, 1:52 am, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:

> >> As I suggested in my previous post, download Everest (the utility that
> >> lists hardware). Look in the Devices:PCI Devices section, for an
> >> entry %PCI\VEN_197B&DEV_2363. The free version of Everest, being
> >> rather old now, may not be able to name the device in its displayed
> >> information. But you should see some unnamed device, with 197B and
> >> 2363 as its Vendor and Device Numbers. In Everest, you would
> >> look for "197B-2363" in the right hand pane, while looking at the
> >> list of PCI devices and clicking them one by one for details.
>
> >> If 197B-2363 doesn't show up, then that hardware device is dead or
> >> disabled. If it is showing some other set of numbers (i.e. you have
> >> an unidentified device, and you check its numbers), then it could be
> >> defective. Also, it is possible Jmicron could change the part number,
> >> as a function of the mode the device operates in. Some other hardware
> >> works that way. I don't think the JMB363 has to do that, so don't
> >> think that is a possibility. In any case, look for 197B-???? and
> >> see if there are any Jmicron devices of unknown nature in the list.
>
> >> You can also look in the setupapi.log file on your C: partition
> >> (where the OS lives), and examine it for instances of VEN_197B&DEV_2363,
> >> to see if it ever worked or was properly installed at some previous date.
>
> >>     Paul
>
> > Hi
> > I checked the setupapi.log file - no mention of JMicron or the string
> > you mentioned above.
>
> > Everest Ultimate has a free 30 day trial.  There was no mention of
> > JMicron or the device you listed.  Nor of 197B, either - I created a
> > text report from Everest and searched it.
>
> > This morning the eSATA-connected drive did not show up.  But I checked
> > my cables, and one was loose.  When I fully seated it, the drive
> > showed up immediately.
>
> Is this your motherboard ?
>
> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-131-013-S03?$S640W$
>
> The JMB363 is just below the rightmost PCI Express x1 slot on the
> motherboard. It should be showing up on the bus, and should be
> visible in Everest. At least, as long as it is enabled in the BIOS.
>
> If the ESATA drive is showing up immediately, something has to interface to
> it. From the picture, my guess is, the six red SATA connectors are connected
> to the Nvidia chip. The black SATA next to the JMB363 is connected
> to the JMB363. And the ESATA on the I/O plate area on the back
> of the computer, is also connected to the JMB363.
>
> So it should be there, or at least the VEN and DEV should be showing
> up for that device. You can also check in Device Manager for the
> chip if you want.
>
> There has to be an explanation hiding in there somewhere :-)
>
>     Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes, that's the beast. Nice little AM2 board with dual Gigabit LAN
ports - though I haven't come up with a good purpose for the unused
one yet. Yes, I am familiar with the SATA RAID port which I kinda
figured is controlled by the JMicron hardware/software.

I need to ask - specifically - where/what section in Device Manager
should the chip show itself? I've looked, even under System Devices,
but nothing that mentions RAID, eSATA, or JMicron to be found.

I'd be happy to email you the Everest report - perhaps you could find
something there?

R.

From: Paul on
Rajah! wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Yes, that's the beast. Nice little AM2 board with dual Gigabit LAN
> ports - though I haven't come up with a good purpose for the unused
> one yet. Yes, I am familiar with the SATA RAID port which I kinda
> figured is controlled by the JMicron hardware/software.
>
> I need to ask - specifically - where/what section in Device Manager
> should the chip show itself? I've looked, even under System Devices,
> but nothing that mentions RAID, eSATA, or JMicron to be found.
>
> I'd be happy to email you the Everest report - perhaps you could find
> something there?
>
> R.

Have you looked in the various storage sections of Device Manager ?
In this example, look under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" to see if
something like "pciide.sys" got installed to control the Jmicron.
Look under SCSI and RAID controllers, because I suspect that is where
the Jmicron would go, if the driver was installed properly. And
in the example here, something called "Mass Storage Controller" showed
up. Since no driver is installed for "Mass Storage Controller", it remains
unnamed. The claim is, this picture is from an M2N-SLI Deluxe system.

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/149562d1239984098/device_mngr.jpg

In WinXP Device Manager, if you do "Properties" on an entry, then
use the "Details" tab, then look for "Device Instance" or "Hardware Ids"
in the list, you may get VEN and DEV numbers for a device that way.
Try looking for the Jmicron numbers, on one of your existing storage
device entries. There are a number of places to hide storage devices,
which is why you'll have to look carefully through the list.

If your ESATA did not work, there was no Jmicron or "unknown" entry in
Device Manager, the Jmicron was enabled in the BIOS, you might conclude
the chip was broken. Since you claim to have a working ESATA drive, that
means the Jmicron must be in Device Manager somewhere, with some driver
installed. If a proper Jmicron driver is not installed, then perhaps
some other "generic" driver, like pciide.sys or the like, is installed
instead.

I had hoped the "setupapi.log" file on your C: drive would have helped.
If Jmicron hardware is enabled in the BIOS, there should be at least
one line in the setupapi.log corresponding to it. Look for 197B and 2363
in there.

You say the ESATA drive works ? And that it is plugged into the ESATA
connector in the I/O plate area ? You aren't, perhaps, using a SATA to
ESATA cable with PCI slot plate, to connect to a Southbridge SATA port
instead ? Maybe that would account for why the drive is working.

Paul