From: slim26 on
I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
motherboard.

I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
monitor or a beep from the computer starting.

From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
sound accurate?

Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?

Thanks.
From: daytripper on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), slim26 <steveharding(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
>motherboard.
>
>I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
>adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
>time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
>monitor or a beep from the computer starting.
>
>From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
>sound accurate?
>
>Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
>boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?
>
>Thanks.

I doubt it's an IRQ conflict if it literally won't even show you a POST
screen.

What happens if you remove the modem and leave the wireless nic installed?

Cheers
From: slim26 on
On Jan 24, 4:18 pm, daytripper <day_tri...(a)REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:22:38 -0800 (PST), slim26 <stevehard...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
> >motherboard.
>
> >I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
> >adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
> >time.  When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
> >monitor or a beep from the computer starting.
>
> >From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict.  Does this
> >sound accurate?
>
> >Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
> >boot?  Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> I doubt it's an IRQ conflict if it literally won't even show you a POST
> screen.
>
> What happens if you remove the modem and leave the wireless nic installed?
>
> Cheers

Everything boots fine, Windows starts, wifi card is fully functional.
I've tried moving the two cards from slot to slot, with all
combinations. What it comes down to is I can boot fine and use each
card independently, just can't boot or even get video with them both
plugged in.

Thanks for the response.
From: William on

"slim26" <steveharding(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
> motherboard.
>
> I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
> adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
> time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
> monitor or a beep from the computer starting.
>
> From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
> sound accurate?
>
> Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
> boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?
>
> Thanks.

I had a similar problem with a US Robotics 5610 modem about 3 years ago.
Fortunately they had a flash update for the on-board modem system that got
rid of the problem. I would suggest you check the modems manufacturers web
page and see if they have anything to offer you for help. Their were quite
a few changes around 7 to 5 years ago concerning auto selection of IQR on
motherboards and older legacy boards do not behave well.

When I had my old modem in the computer, the tuner card would not work. I
had specifically purchased this modem because it used it's own processor to
do the work, a requirement for a SUSI operating system I had set up at the
time. BTY - you can purchase a new 56k modem for less than $10.00 that uses
the mobo's cpu to do the work. Perhaps not the best, but they do work on
newer systems.

My previous mobo, a P5W DH Deluxe, had a section on IQR conflict resolution
procedures for problems just like this.

William

From: slim26 on
On Jan 24, 4:56 pm, "William" <nos...(a)pacifier.com> wrote:
> "slim26" <stevehard...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
> > motherboard.
>
> > I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
> > adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
> > time.  When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
> > monitor or a beep from the computer starting.
>
> > From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict.  Does this
> > sound accurate?
>
> > Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
> > boot?  Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> I had a similar problem with a US Robotics 5610 modem about 3 years ago.
> Fortunately they had a flash update for the on-board modem system that got
> rid of the problem.  I would suggest you check the modems manufacturers web
> page and see if they have anything to offer you for help.  Their were quite
> a few changes around 7 to 5 years ago concerning auto selection of IQR on
> motherboards and older legacy boards do not behave well.
>
> When I had my old modem in the computer, the tuner card would not work.  I
> had specifically purchased this modem because it used it's own processor to
> do the work, a requirement for a SUSI operating system I had set up at the
> time.  BTY - you can purchase a new 56k modem for less than $10.00 that uses
> the mobo's cpu to do the work.  Perhaps not the best, but they do work on
> newer systems.
>
> My previous mobo, a P5W DH Deluxe, had a section on IQR conflict resolution
> procedures for problems just like this.
>
> William

Thanks William. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any firmware
updates for my modem. Sucks that it worked fine with my other linksys
wifi card that I just upgraded. Also can't seem to find anything on
IRQ resolutions for my mobo. I might end up just giving up on this
one.