From: daytripper on
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 19:33:48 -0700, "peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote:
[...]2 pieces of hardware usually can share an IRQ but 3 causes problems.

'Tain't necessarily so.

fwiw, on my most heavily configured system, I have a SAS host adapter and a
SCSI host adapter sharing IRQ 9 with the on-board USB hc; and a PCI nic, PCI
1394 hc and a PCI USB hc sharing IRQ 10.

So that's two sets of three devices sharing interrupts on the same system. And
you could only wish you had a system that was as reliable as this one - it
easily hit "five nines" of availability in 2009 :-)

Cheers
From: Paul on
slim26 wrote:
> I just got a new Linksys WMP600N wireless adapter for my old ASUS A8V
> motherboard.
>
> I am having issues trying to boot the computer now with both this
> adapter and my 56k modem (used for caller id software) at the same
> time. When both are plugged in, I can not get any action on my
> monitor or a beep from the computer starting.
>
> From my research, I'm thinking I have an IRQ conflict. Does this
> sound accurate?
>
> Any ideas on how I can resolve the conflict and get the computer to
> boot? Is it possible I won't be able to resolve?
>
> Thanks.

Motherboards of that era, have a physical interrupt wiring pattern
(swizzle pattern), in the user manual. Now, unfortunately, it has
turned out that this table is not always correct, and some users
have figured out the table on their own, by observation (i.e. detected
the errors by watching IRQ number assignment).

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/asus/mb/socket939/a8v/e1994_a8v.pdf

On your board, PCI slot 4 is independent of other wires, so might
be considered "private". If you have a theory as to which card is
misbehaving, I'd plug that card into that slot and test.

If you have some other motherboard from the A8V line, there are
manuals for those as well.

Also, in the BIOS history of that board (in the BIOS download section
of support.asus.com.tw), it says

[ 0228 ]
Fix system will hang up during booting when both AGP graphic card
and Dlink 4-port server card installed.

So the board does have a history of a problem like that, and so flashing
a BIOS later than that one may help. Sometimes, when you see a release
note for a bug fix like that, it is actually a couple of BIOS later
before it is really fixed.

The latest BIOS is "0229" from 2007/06/07.

Take a look through the vip.asus.com forums before flashing. Sometimes,
if a flash method is known to brick the motherboard, you can learn about
the issue in advance, by looking through the threads here.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=A8V&SLanguage=en-us

For example, this is educational:

"Asus A8V bios 0229 buggy as hell?"
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100104182708718&board_id=1&model=A8V&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

So perhaps "0228" would be the best candidate. They mention 0219 as being
a better one, but then you might not get any benefit for whatever fixes
might be in 0228. In any case, I see enough issues just reading a few threads
there, to not expect a lot from that board.

Paul
From: slim26 on
Thanks to both you .

I do have the latest 0229 bios on there.. it is the base A8V (yes, a
pretty old one, but still working great nonetheless).

My theory for slot 5 not working is because in the book, it says it's
shared with the video card. My guess is my video card doesn't like to
share with another device.

I have a difficult time trying to find out which IRQ is assigned for
each slot. I think Windows 7 is automatically reassigning it's own
IRQ upon boot, so I can't see what the bios is trying to give it.
Windows is giving it an IRQ of 17 (higher then what the bios goes up
to - 15).

In my settings, it lists the IRQs that are configurable, but only give
me two options - PCI or Reserved. They are all set to PCI. Should I
try to set any to Reserved. I've played around with it some, and
haven't had much luck with that either.

Out of the two cards, my suspect card is the modem being it's so old.
The wifi nic is brand new and probably plays nicely. I've tried
putting the modem in slot 4, which isn't supposed to be shared, with
the wifi card in any other slot, no avail.

I guess the only real thing to do is flip some of these IRQs in the
bios from PCI to Reserved, although as I mentioned, have not had
success with that so far.