From: Rajah! on
On Feb 5, 12:42 am, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> Rajah! wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul,
>
> > Yes, that's the beast.  Nice little AM2 board with dual Gigabit LAN
> > ports - though I haven't come up with a good purpose for the unused
> > one yet.  Yes, I am familiar with the SATA RAID port which I kinda
> > figured is controlled by the JMicron hardware/software.
>
> > I need to ask - specifically - where/what section in Device Manager
> > should the chip show itself?  I've looked, even under System Devices,
> > but nothing that mentions RAID, eSATA, or JMicron to be found.
>
> > I'd be happy to email you the Everest report - perhaps you could find
> > something there?
>
> > R.
>
> Have you looked in the various storage sections of Device Manager ?
> In this example, look under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" to see if
> something like "pciide.sys" got installed to control the Jmicron.
> Look under SCSI and RAID controllers, because I suspect that is where
> the Jmicron would go, if the driver was installed properly. And
> in the example here, something called "Mass Storage Controller" showed
> up. Since no driver is installed for "Mass Storage Controller", it remains
> unnamed. The claim is, this picture is from an M2N-SLI Deluxe system.
>
> http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/149562d1239984098/device_m...
>
> In WinXP Device Manager, if you do "Properties" on an entry, then
> use the "Details" tab, then look for "Device Instance" or "Hardware Ids"
> in the list, you may get VEN and DEV numbers for a device that way.
> Try looking for the Jmicron numbers, on one of your existing storage
> device entries. There are a number of places to hide storage devices,
> which is why you'll have to look carefully through the list.
>
> If your ESATA did not work, there was no Jmicron or "unknown" entry in
> Device Manager, the Jmicron was enabled in the BIOS, you might conclude
> the chip was broken. Since you claim to have a working ESATA drive, that
> means the Jmicron must be in Device Manager somewhere, with some driver
> installed. If a proper Jmicron driver is not installed, then perhaps
> some other "generic" driver, like pciide.sys or the like, is installed
> instead.
>
> I had hoped the "setupapi.log" file on your C: drive would have helped.
> If Jmicron hardware is enabled in the BIOS, there should be at least
> one line in the setupapi.log corresponding to it. Look for 197B and 2363
> in there.
>
> You say the ESATA drive works ? And that it is plugged into the ESATA
> connector in the I/O plate area ? You aren't, perhaps, using a SATA to
> ESATA cable with PCI slot plate, to connect to a Southbridge SATA port
> instead ? Maybe that would account for why the drive is working.
>
>     Paul

Sorry, I might not have made it clear: Rolled a $9 dice bet and
bought a expansion slot card with two eSATA
ports that connect to SATA ports on the motherboard. My EZ Dock is
now connected via the (dock's) eSATA port. I am *not* using the
eSATA port that is hardwired to the motherboard.

Neither 197B nor 2363 is in setupapi.log.

According to ASUS, they tested the onboard eSATA port the two
replacement motherboards before shipping them to me.

Still can't find any mention of JMicron in Everest log or Device
Manager.

R.