From: Arny Krueger on
"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> As I get further along in owning a sound company I have
> come to understand that some work is just not going to
> end up right in the long run

Right, you aren't running a charity so others can profit excessively from
your work.

> here is a job I have done 3 or 4 times , The promoter
> told me he was cutting his budget in half so I asked him
> to look for another supplier here is the letter

If he's cutting your fee in half for the same amount of work and equipment,
then he's either panicking or trying to take advantage of the current
economic situation. Anxiety is big these days, and people want to cut their
risks. You're right to avoid losing money. If he guesses wrong and lots of
people show up, he could even make more money. There's no way you can more
more money because you've comitted yourself to a fixed price.

And that is one way to respond - ask for a piece of the action instead of a
flat rate if you trust him to share with you when the event is over.

Another good response to a substandard offer is a counter offer that cuts
back on services and equipment that would be provided. If you can't make
money with a 1 man job with one 1 mic, one amp, and 1 speaker, then you
should flatly turn down the job if you are free at that time.

> Dean,

> Thank You for talking with me at the super swap on
> saturday. I understand how difficult it is to create a
> event that is safe enjoyable and profitable, as my
> business is in event production. Upon considering
> how I have worked to set myself apart from most other
> sound suppliers by the fact I carry a 3 million dollar
> liability policy, use PAYCECKS to insure all taxes ,
> with holdings , workers comp and disability requirements
> are met to the letter of the law, along with the reality
> I need to make the vast majority of my income between
> Memorial day and Labor day, I can not offer you what
> your event needs in the budget you have expressed needing
> to get to. My price will be 4500.00 paid upon arrival to
> supply equipment and labor as needed to cover the event. I understand
> that
> this is well above what you need the sound to come in at
> so I encourage you to inquire your local community for
> someone that may be a disc jockey or own a start up sound
> company who may still be "flying under the radar" so to
> speak and does not have the responsibilities and expenses
> that George's Pro Sound has taken on. I wish for you
> a worry free and profitable time and would be happy to be of service to
> you should the job I offer and the
> professional protections( 3 million in liability
> insurance,workers comp ,payroll taxes back up equipment
> and my over 20 years of experience) be part of what you
> would like to obtain from your sound provider.
> Thank you for the past work and I will be happy to
> work with you again at a time when your needs as a
> promoter and my needs as a professional sound provider
> can both be met.
> Thank You

Given your intrapersonal and language skills George, it would be good for
you to say as little as possible. You say lots of things that don't need to
be said, and nowhere do I see any counter-offers.

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"Arny Krueger" <arnyk(a)hotpop.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> speak and does not have the responsibilities and expenses
>> that George's Pro Sound has taken on. I wish for you
>> a worry free and profitable time and would be happy to be of service to
>> you should the job I offer and the
>> professional protections( 3 million in liability
>> insurance,workers comp ,payroll taxes back up equipment
>> and my over 20 years of experience) be part of what you
>> would like to obtain from your sound provider.
>> Thank you for the past work and I will be happy to
>> work with you again at a time when your needs as a
>> promoter and my needs as a professional sound provider
>> can both be met.
>> Thank You
>
> Given your intrapersonal and language skills George, it would be good for
> you to say as little as possible. You say lots of things that don't need
> to be said, and nowhere do I see any counter-offers.

those were done in person
he asked me to come up with a quote that matched the price he wanted to
spend
I spent a day thinking , dry hire, reduced gear, being named as a major
sponsor, but decided that

1. he would damage the gear in a dry hire situation, not be respectful of
its limits, or weather considerations, this is a outdoor public address
situation

2. less gear, that he could manage as dry hire, would not meet audience
needs or match the quality of work I am known for

3. this is a prime time mid season weekend, those days have more value than
mid feburay ones, I work "nearly" every weekend all summer for a minimum of
5000$ for basic jobs like this to well into 5 figures when stage , lights,
and massive gear/personell are required

4. as I am not willing to work for bottom feeder wages and still provide the
protections to him of my insurance, and covering the legal requirments for
tax filings and workers comp I choose to let him find his system with
someone who is not as responsible to the legal aspects of owning a business
ie a under the table, uninsured provider
and who may not carry the experiance I do as far as deployment of a sound
system in a public area, or someone who may or may not have the 300foot
piece of 6/4 sow cord that is required to feed the ac power from the source
to the system location

my price is a combination of equipment, experiance, professional ability
and legal resoponsibility
if I was not on top of the game in every area Iwould charge considerable
less, in fact I was that guy once, i have worked long and hard to not be
that guy and when someone wants to hire that guy, i do not try to be georges
pro sound for joes dj service prices

the event can and has supported my price, I have done it 3 or 4 times
he shorted me 100$ last year and Iam not putting myself or my ability to run
my company profitable at risk by allowing the client to dictate my value
I asked him to find another supplier this year that would work for what he
wants to spend

I strongly susspect he will back down and rehire me at my price
but not being hired it is a judgment/risk that I , as the owner , make with
each job I take on
George

From: liquidator on

"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> On 08/02/2010 22:31, liquidator wrote:
>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> I cover the lower end of the market, but I don't step outside my
>>> comfort
>>> zone, and I don't tread on the toes of the bigger boys, who throw me a
>>> fish every now and then.
>>>
>>> That's not to say I don't do my very best on each and every job I take.
>>>

>> Hey, guys like you are necessary to the ecosystem..how else do George
>> and I
>> get rid of used gear? ;-)
>>

>> In all seriousness, I always tried to cultivate the best of the local
>> "bottom feeders",
>
> Well I don't consider myself a bottom feeder, I work with the equipment I
> have available and can afford to pick and choose what jobs I take.
> At my age I ain't gonna invest in a load of new kit. The vast majority of
> my work is a residency in a local venue where I`m very happy, private jobs
> are a bonus.
>
> Ron

Ron if offense was given, I apologize. As Humpty Dumpty said, words mean
different things to different people.

I use that word generically to describe people who don't have a "brick and
mortar" presence, ie no storefront, garage operations, etc.

Has nothing to do with skill level. A lot of freelancers I hired, in fact
most, had their own operations. Several benefitted greatly when I shut down,
from equipment bargains to recommendations.

Heck, by my definition I am a bottom feeder operation now, except that I
only work for friends and maybe a charity now and then. I hardly work at
all.

From: Ron on
On 09/02/2010 16:00, liquidator wrote:
> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>> On 08/02/2010 22:31, liquidator wrote:
>>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> Hey, guys like you are necessary to the ecosystem..how else do George
>>> and I
>>> get rid of used gear? ;-)
>>>

>>> In all seriousness, I always tried to cultivate the best of the local
>>> "bottom feeders",
>>
>> Well I don't consider myself a bottom feeder, I work with the equipment I
>> have available and can afford to pick and choose what jobs I take.
>> At my age I ain't gonna invest in a load of new kit. The vast majority of
>> my work is a residency in a local venue where I`m very happy, private jobs
>> are a bonus.
>>
>> Ron
>
> Ron if offense was given, I apologize. As Humpty Dumpty said, words mean
> different things to different people.
>
> I use that word generically to describe people who don't have a "brick and
> mortar" presence, ie no storefront, garage operations, etc.
>
> Has nothing to do with skill level. A lot of freelancers I hired, in fact
> most, had their own operations. Several benefitted greatly when I shut down,
> from equipment bargains to recommendations.
>
> Heck, by my definition I am a bottom feeder operation now, except that I
> only work for friends and maybe a charity now and then. I hardly work at
> all.

Nah you're ok mate, I never take offense, life is too short.

Ron