From: Richard Webb on
On Mon 2038-Feb-08 12:12, Ron writes:
>> Ron that is what I am hoping to get across to the lurkers and newbies
>> there is a supplier for every budget, but it doesn't have to be me.

> I cover the lower end of the market, but I don't step outside my
> comfort zone, and I don't tread on the toes of the bigger boys, who
> throw me a fish every now and then.

Understand how that works. IT's like pricing every good or
service. If I ask for a quote and it's more than my budget
I do the old "I"ll get back to you," and thank the
vendor/provider for his time spent with me. IF I shop a
couple of others and find he's the best deal I"ll be back.

MOst folks are professional about it, but the one thing I
don't understand in this business is the tire kicker who
acts offended you when you tell him that for the budget he
has we can't even begin to talk about me working his gig. I find that even if I do give a discount, it's shown on the
invoice, and the actual charges shown before that discount.
This way the client can't say he got me for x which is less
than the y I would have charged him.
But, sometimes you just can't get to first base.

> That's not to say I don't do my very best on each and every job I
> take.

That's the important thing. IF I give you a discount I"m
still out there giving 100% and expecting those who crew for me to give 100% effort for the client. IF you got a
discount it's because I feel our relations deserves it.

Regards,
Richard
From: liquidator on

"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> On 08/02/2010 16:09, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:
>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> Good man.
>>> If you do the job on the cheap this year, next year he will cut his
>>> budget
>>> again. Let him hire some cheap company, hopefully it will all go well
>>> for
>>> him, or it will be a disaster and maybe he will learn just why pro
>>> companies charge what they do.
>>>
>>> Ron(UK)
>>
>> Ron that is what I am hoping to get across to the lurkers and newbies
>> there is a supplier for every budget, but it doesn't have to be me.
>> george
>>

> I cover the lower end of the market, but I don't step outside my comfort
> zone, and I don't tread on the toes of the bigger boys, who throw me a
> fish every now and then.
>
> That's not to say I don't do my very best on each and every job I take.

Hey, guys like you are necessary to the ecosystem..how else do George and I
get rid of used gear? ;-)

In all seriousness, I always tried to cultivate the best of the local
"bottom feeders",

If I send him work, I may sell or rent him gear later. By the time I closed
down I was actually cross renting more than doing gigs.

Whatever you have to do to make a living.

Dollar stores aren't gonna put Macy's out of business.

From: Michael Dobony on
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:42:55 -0500, George's Pro Sound Co. wrote:

> As I get further along in owning a sound company I have come to understand
> that some work is just not going to end up right in the long run
> here is a job I have done 3 or 4 times , The promoter told me he was cutting
> his budget in half so I asked him to look for another supplier
> here is the letter
>
> so anyone got any leads for work july 9,10,and 11 this year :-)
>
> Dean,
>
> Thank You for talking with me at the super swap on saturday. I understand
> how difficult it is to create a event that is safe enjoyable and profitable,
> as my business is in event production.
> Upon considering how I have worked to set myself apart from most other
> sound suppliers by the fact I carry a 3 million dollar liability policy,
> use PAYCECKS to insure all taxes , with holdings , workers comp and
> disability requirements are met to the letter of the law, along with the
> reality I need to make the vast majority of my income between Memorial day
> and Labor day, I can not offer you what your event needs in the budget you
> have expressed needing to get to.
> My price will be 4500.00 paid upon arrival to supply equipment and
> labor as needed to cover the event. I understand that this is well above
> what you need the sound to come in at so I encourage you to inquire your
> local community for someone that may be a disc jockey or own a start up
> sound company who may still be "flying under the radar" so to speak and does
> not have the responsibilities and expenses that George's Pro Sound has taken
> on.
> I wish for you a worry free and profitable time and would be happy to
> be of service to you should the job I offer and the professional
> protections( 3 million in liability insurance,workers comp ,payroll taxes
> back up equipment and my over 20 years of experience) be part of what you
> would like to obtain from your sound provider.
>
> Thank you for the past work and I will be happy to work with you again
> at a time when your needs as a promoter and my needs as a professional sound
> provider can both be met.
>
> Thank You
> George Gleason

Get someone to write your letters for you. This is full of grammatical
errors. And I thought I was bad with composition!

Sometimes it is better to turn away work that will not pay the expenses or
will not yield anything more than gas money for a 3 day even.
From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> Sometimes it is better to turn away work that will not pay the expenses or
> will not yield anything more than gas money for a 3 day even.

without even knowing what the job is you can assume it would not cover
expenses or yeild barely gas money at 4500$?

you think like a church voulenteer
at 4500.00 I would get my full margin for the work done
and walk away (profit in after expenses)with what most of working america
would consider at least 6 weeks pre tax wages

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

"George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Sometimes it is better to turn away work that will not pay the expenses
>> or
>> will not yield anything more than gas money for a 3 day even.
>
> without even knowing what the job is you can assume it would not cover
> expenses or yeild barely gas money at 4500$?
>
> you think like a church voulenteer
> at 4500.00 I would get my full margin for the work done
> and walk away (profit in after expenses)with what most of working america
> would consider at least 6 weeks pre tax wages

from

http://www.bls.gov/oes/home.htm

In 2008, the U.S. median wage was $15.57 per hour