From: Don H on
"FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message

> "Don H" <donlhumphries(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
>
> > Not that it matters, but how is initial software put onto a blank
hard
> > disk, after a new computer leaves the factory?
> >

> A new computer has a fully installed operating system and other software
> preinstalled on the Hard Drive prior to leaving the factory. To add to
> that, the software is installed onto the hard drive before the hard drive
is
> ever even put into a machine. Companies use some sort of mass writing
> station where they write the same data to many hard drives at the same
time.
> The hard drive is then installed into a normal computer and shipped put to
> be sold.

# Yes, just curious. After all, a computer, considered as pure hardware, is
a mass of circuitry, into which an electric current is put. Like a new-born
infant, it has no knowledge of language, as such - although it has the
potential.
Similarly, binary language is the most primitive (current: on/off), then
comes assembler (mass memory: commands and storage) to translate, via
compiler and interpreter to high level language.
I assume, when we uninstall WinXP, and reinstall it, we can only do so
down to a certain level, or the computer becomes inoperable, and would have
to be taken back to manufacturer, or, at least, a programming expert.

From: "FeMaster" FeMaster on

> "FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Don H" <donlhumphries(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Not that it matters, but how is initial software put onto a blank
> hard
>> > disk, after a new computer leaves the factory?
>> >

>> A new computer has a fully installed operating system and other software
>> preinstalled on the Hard Drive prior to leaving the factory. To add to
>> that, the software is installed onto the hard drive before the hard drive
> is
>> ever even put into a machine. Companies use some sort of mass writing
>> station where they write the same data to many hard drives at the same
> time.
>> The hard drive is then installed into a normal computer and shipped put
>> be sold.
>>
> # Yes, just curious. After all, a computer, considered as pure hardware,
> is
> a mass of circuitry, into which an electric current is put. Like a
> new-born
> infant, it has no knowledge of language, as such - although it has the
> potential.
> Similarly, binary language is the most primitive (current: on/off), then
> comes assembler (mass memory: commands and storage) to translate, via
> compiler and interpreter to high level language.
> I assume, when we uninstall WinXP, and reinstall it, we can only do so
> down to a certain level, or the computer becomes inoperable, and would
> have
> to be taken back to manufacturer, or, at least, a programming expert.

Provided you have an installation CD for Windows, and the computer is
capable of booting from the CD/DVD drive, the computer's HD (Hard Drive) can
be completely wiped clean (formatted). The computer will boot into a
temporary "operating system" that will start the install of Windows XP. The
HD doesn't need to be formatted prior to doing this, as that option will be
available during the installation process...

From: Don H on

> "Don H" <donlhumphries(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > "FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Don H" <donlhumphries(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message

> > hard
> >> >

> >> A new computer has a fully installed operating system and other
software
> >> preinstalled on the Hard Drive prior to leaving the factory. To add to
> >> that, the software is installed onto the hard drive before the hard
drive
> > is
> >> ever even put into a machine. Companies use some sort of mass writing
> >> station where they write the same data to many hard drives at the same
> > time.
> >> The hard drive is then installed into a normal computer and shipped put
> >> be sold.
> >>
> > # Yes, just curious. After all, a computer, considered as pure
hardware,
> > is
> > a mass of circuitry, into which an electric current is put. Like a
> > new-born
> > infant, it has no knowledge of language, as such - although it has the
> > potential.
> > Similarly, binary language is the most primitive (current: on/off),
then
> > comes assembler (mass memory: commands and storage) to translate, via
> > compiler and interpreter to high level language.
> > I assume, when we uninstall WinXP, and reinstall it, we can only do so
> > down to a certain level, or the computer becomes inoperable, and would
> > have
> > to be taken back to manufacturer, or, at least, a programming expert.
>
> Provided you have an installation CD for Windows, and the computer is
> capable of booting from the CD/DVD drive, the computer's HD (Hard Drive)
can
> be completely wiped clean (formatted). The computer will boot into a
> temporary "operating system" that will start the install of Windows XP.
The
> HD doesn't need to be formatted prior to doing this, as that option will
be
> available during the installation process...

# Yeah, thanks; have now overwritten previous installation.
The disk asked me where I wanted to install, eg. drive F or C or D. and
whether NTFS (recommended), or FAT32 - which latter I chose, 'cos otherwise
you can't use MS-DOS-based programs.
But disk-installer went into a loop and kept restarting and loading the
same files; not continuing - until I "quit", and started to remove the disk.
Then it told me installation wasn't finished...so I put the disk back in,
and lo, we then commenced count down: "Setup will complete in 39 mins".
When finished, desktop appeared; and hence I then reset my BIOS.

From: "FeMaster" FeMaster on

> "FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Don H" <donlhumphries(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> > "FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message

>> > hard

> software
> drive
>> > is
>> > time.
>> >>
>> > # Yes, just curious. After all, a computer, considered as pure
> hardware,
>> > is
>> > a mass of circuitry, into which an electric current is put. Like a
>> > new-born
>> > infant, it has no knowledge of language, as such - although it has the
>> > potential.
>> > Similarly, binary language is the most primitive (current: on/off),
> then
>> > comes assembler (mass memory: commands and storage) to translate, via
>> > compiler and interpreter to high level language.
>> > I assume, when we uninstall WinXP, and reinstall it, we can only do
>> > so
>> > down to a certain level, or the computer becomes inoperable, and would
>> > have
>> > to be taken back to manufacturer, or, at least, a programming expert.
>>
>> Provided you have an installation CD for Windows, and the computer is
>> capable of booting from the CD/DVD drive, the computer's HD (Hard Drive)
> can
>> be completely wiped clean (formatted). The computer will boot into a
>> temporary "operating system" that will start the install of Windows XP.
> The
>> HD doesn't need to be formatted prior to doing this, as that option will
> be
>> available during the installation process...
>>

> # Yeah, thanks; have now overwritten previous installation.
> The disk asked me where I wanted to install, eg. drive F or C or D. and
> whether NTFS (recommended), or FAT32 - which latter I chose, 'cos
> otherwise
> you can't use MS-DOS-based programs.
> But disk-installer went into a loop and kept restarting and loading the
> same files; not continuing - until I "quit", and started to remove the
> disk.
> Then it told me installation wasn't finished...so I put the disk back in,
> and lo, we then commenced count down: "Setup will complete in 39 mins".
> When finished, desktop appeared; and hence I then reset my BIOS.

Sounds like you are up and running then. Glad to here that!