From: A. LEVINE on
Dear Reader,

I would appreciate if some one could advise me how to uninstall windows xp
professional and install windows xp home edition.
If I boot up with the home edition disc, it does not give me the option to
reformat. It wants to install in addition to windows xp professional. Any
help would be appreciated.

From: Don H on
"A. LEVINE" <A1newspapersales(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> Dear Reader,
>
> I would appreciate if some one could advise me how to uninstall windows xp
> professional and install windows xp home edition.
> If I boot up with the home edition disc, it does not give me the option to
> reformat. It wants to install in addition to windows xp professional. Any
> help would be appreciated.

# I have a similar, if more primitive, request.
If my loaded version of WinXP has become corrupted, how do I uninstall it
(easy enough, it seems), but then load it back again - using a bootable
floppy disk, and WinXP on disk? Thanks.
( Eg. what files must I have on the floppy, and what commands do I type in
at any DOS prompt?)

From: "FeMaster" FeMaster on

"Don H" <donlhumphries(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message

> If my loaded version of WinXP has become corrupted, how do I uninstall
> it
> (easy enough, it seems), but then load it back again - using a bootable
> floppy disk, and WinXP on disk? Thanks.
> ( Eg. what files must I have on the floppy, and what commands do I type in
> at any DOS prompt?)

Just set your computer to boot from the CD drive, then when prompted, "hit
any key to boot from CD". From there, just install over the top of your old
install of XP. Don't format the HD, unless you don't have anything the
drive that you want to keep. If you old install wasn't too screwed up, you
should be up and running in about an hour.

From: Don H on
"FeMaster" <FeMaster @ hotmail . com> wrote in message

> "Don H" <donlhumphries(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
>
> > If my loaded version of WinXP has become corrupted, how do I uninstall
> > it
> > (easy enough, it seems), but then load it back again - using a bootable
> > floppy disk, and WinXP on disk? Thanks.
> > ( Eg. what files must I have on the floppy, and what commands do I type
in
> > at any DOS prompt?)
> >

> Just set your computer to boot from the CD drive, then when prompted, "hit
> any key to boot from CD". From there, just install over the top of your
old
> install of XP. Don't format the HD, unless you don't have anything the
> drive that you want to keep. If you old install wasn't too screwed up,
you
> should be up and running in about an hour.

# Thanks for that; will do.
Not that it matters, but how is initial software put onto a blank hard
disk, after a new computer leaves the factory?

From: "FeMaster" FeMaster on

> Not that it matters, but how is initial software put onto a blank hard
> disk, after a new computer leaves the factory?

A new computer has a fully installed operating system and other software
preinstalled on the Hard Drive prior to leaving the factory. To add to
that, the software is installed onto the hard drive before the hard drive is
ever even put into a machine. Companies use some sort of mass writing
station where they write the same data to many hard drives at the same time.
The hard drive is then installed into a normal computer and shipped put to
be sold.