From: Damian on
Hi guys,
I'm wondering, is there a way to setup a dual monitor system(with windows
xp) to divide multiple windows between two(or more) monitors? Lets say I
have firefox and Internet Explorer, etc running and want to send firefox
window to one monitor and IE to the other monitor. Is that possible? If so,
what sort of video card, software do I need? Help appreciated.
Thnx
Damian

From: Rob on
On 2/03/2010 9:24 AM, Damian wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm wondering, is there a way to setup a dual monitor system(with windows
> xp) to divide multiple windows between two(or more) monitors? Lets say I
> have firefox and Internet Explorer, etc running and want to send firefox
> window to one monitor and IE to the other monitor. Is that possible? If so,
> what sort of video card, software do I need? Help appreciated.
> Thnx
> Damian

A card capable of running two monitors - most do now. The software
driver for that card will have the set-up within. You make one wide screen.

What a pain if one monitor with this set-up has not been switched on
then it reverts to one monitor and you go through the process again.

better off with one wide monitor.
From: Rod Speed on
Damian wrote:

> I'm wondering, is there a way to setup a dual monitor system(with
> windows xp) to divide multiple windows between two(or more) monitors?
> Lets say I have firefox and Internet Explorer, etc running and want
> to send firefox window to one monitor and IE to the other monitor. Is that possible?

Yes.

> If so, what sort of video card,

One that supports dual monitors.

> software do I need?

Nothing extra, XP and a video card that supports more than one monitor will do that.

From: Damian on

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Damian wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering, is there a way to setup a dual monitor system(with
>> windows xp) to divide multiple windows between two(or more) monitors?
>> Lets say I have firefox and Internet Explorer, etc running and want
>> to send firefox window to one monitor and IE to the other monitor. Is
>> that possible?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so, what sort of video card,
>
> One that supports dual monitors.
>
>> software do I need?
>
> Nothing extra, XP and a video card that supports more than one monitor
> will do that.

Thanks Roddles, straight and simple answer that I can understand. :). Can
you please tell whether this is possible with two seperate video cards?

From: Terryc on
Damian wrote:
> Is that possible?

Yes, very easy to do.

> If so, what sort of video card,

You can buy dual port (two monitor) video cards, or you can just install
multiple video cards. Best if the monitors and the cards are the same
resolution capcaity.

> software do I need?
Very easy to do under win2K and I guess all their other current crop.
are just as easy.

Once you get the drivers for the video cards installed (control panle,
system hardware o add new hardware), you might need to add drivers for
the monitors if they don't function as Plug and pray.

Reboot, then right click on display, enable and position each display
relative to the others, e.g left, middle/centre or right.

I have no idea how you get it to conssidtently fire up and open an app
in a certain window.

As to linux, the whole situation is in flux once again. The old system
with multiple cards and multiple monitors worked on the old x system. it
was brilliant as you could patch together any old card/monitor with any
other old card monitor combo.

Then in true Linux style, they changed the X system and dumped all that
and now have some cludge based only on dual monitor cards based on
proprietary drivers.