From: Steve Swift on
rf wrote:
> So if you dislike them why don't you pick up the edge of your browser window
> and make it bloody smaller.

They are all my choices. You seem to expect me to be consistent. Is
there any reason why I should be? I'm not a machine.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: jeff on
Mason C wrote:
> What screen size should one design for?

If you are designing fixed width, then a bit less than 1024, perhaps
990. That's where most sites are and most people (not including those in
this group) are comfortable with that. That number has stepped up over
the years, but I don't see it going up again.

If you can, design fluid width. But to do fluid width design you
either need to be a genius or have simple content. Not that there aren't
geniuses or that there aren't sites with simple content.

At any rate the trend among browsers is to adapt. Look at the iPhone.
I *think* page zoom falls in there.

Jeff

From: Jonathan N. Little on
Steve Swift wrote:
> rf wrote:
>> So if you dislike them why don't you pick up the edge of your browser
>> window
>> and make it bloody smaller.
>
> They are all my choices. You seem to expect me to be consistent.

"Doctor, doctor it hurts when I do this."

"Well don't do it."

>Is there any reason why I should be? I'm not a machine.

No but your computer is. Make the machine work for you not the other way
around.

As inevitable time has foisted the need for reading glasses on me, so
micro-font is not just uncomfortable is it now illegible. If designers
do not design for *my* default font size thank &deity; for text zoom!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Gregor Kofler on
Mason C meinte:

> What screen size should one design for?

None.

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson on
Gregor Kofler <usenet(a)gregorkofler.com> writes:

> Mason C meinte:
>
>> What screen size should one design for?
>
> None.

Just set the width to 200%, with enough text everyone has to sidescroll.

My point: I *hate* to have my browser window full size, but I have to
because everyone and his dog develop sites that expect a certain width.

On my 1280px wide laptop, I'd like to have my browser at half width,
or 640px. But since *no-one* has such small screens anymore, that
isn't an option on most (all?) sites.

I'll echo: None

Johann