From: Mason C on
What screen size should one design for?

And how to do it?

I see all sort of page widths.

What is the best management of width?

masonc
From: Jonathan N. Little on
Mason C wrote:
> What screen size should one design for?
>
> And how to do it?
>
> I see all sort of page widths.
>
> What is the best management of width?

All of them.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=web+is+not+paper&btnG=Google+Search

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
From: Steve Swift on
Mason C wrote:
> I'm beginning to see an advantage in letting the page be unlimited in size and
> uncentered -- something I've always wondered about: why so many sites do that.

It's entirely reasonable to restrict the width of your pages; most of
the major sites do this one way or another. The reason is simple; it is
very uncomfortable reading text in a tiny font (my choice, not yours) on
a wide screen such as my 24" LCD (again, my choice).

You could do worse than see how google.com does it - their pages use
about half the width of my browser window.

Conversely, my own pages expand to fill the full width, and I dislike them.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
From: rf on

"Steve Swift" <steve.j.swift(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Mason C wrote:
>> I'm beginning to see an advantage in letting the page be unlimited in
>> size and
>> uncentered -- something I've always wondered about: why so many sites do
>> that.
>
> It's entirely reasonable to restrict the width of your pages;

To a certain extent.

> most of the major sites do this one way or another.

Most of the *major* sites are inhabited by lemmings, or if you prefer,
sheep.

> The reason is simple; it is very uncomfortable reading text in a tiny font
> (my choice, not yours)

Bing. My choice of font size. Me, the viewer, not you the author. I choose
how big the font is in *my* browser.

> on a wide screen such as my 24" LCD (again, my choice).

So why do you choose to do something uncomfortable?

> You could do worse than see how google.com does it - their pages use about
> half the width of my browser window.

> Conversely, my own pages expand to fill the full width, and I dislike
> them.

So if you dislike them why don't you pick up the edge of your browser window
and make it bloody smaller. It is, after all, your choice as to how big your
browser window is.

From: Harlan Messinger on
Mason C wrote:
> What screen size should one design for?
>
> And how to do it?
>
> I see all sort of page widths.
>
> What is the best management of width?

Hint: people often don't maximize their browsers, so you should avoid,
if you can, a design in which you assume that they do.