From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Mason C wrote:

> What screen size should one design for?

A question asked and answered thousands of times over the years...

http://tekrider.net/pages/faq.php?q=flex

--
-bts
From: Ed Mullen on
Mason C wrote:
> What screen size should one design for?
>
> And how to do it?
>
> I see all sort of page widths.
>
> What is the best management of width?
>
> masonc

Tell ya what. You go ahead and design a page based on some specific
resolution. Post the URL. I'll post various screen shots showing you
why this is a horrible idea.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

From: Mason C on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:59:49 -0500, Ed Mullen <ed(a)edmullen.net> wrote:

>Mason C wrote:
>> What screen size should one design for?
>>
>> And how to do it?
>>
>> I see all sort of page widths.
>>
>> What is the best management of width?
>>
>> masonc
>>
>Tell ya what. You go ahead and design a page based on some specific
>resolution. Post the URL. I'll post various screen shots showing you
>why this is a horrible idea.

Why should I do that?
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-01-27, Mason C wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:59:49 -0500, Ed Mullen <ed(a)edmullen.net> wrote:
>
>>Mason C wrote:
>>> What screen size should one design for?
>>>
>>> And how to do it?
>>>
>>> I see all sort of page widths.
>>>
>>> What is the best management of width?
>>>
>>> masonc
>>>
>>Tell ya what. You go ahead and design a page based on some specific
>>resolution. Post the URL. I'll post various screen shots showing you
>>why this is a horrible idea.
>
> Why should I do that?

Because it appears to be the only way you can be convinced.

If you don't want your site to work for all your viewers, keep on
the way you are.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author:
From: jeff on
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-01-27, Mason C wrote:

>>> Tell ya what. You go ahead and design a page based on some specific
>>> resolution. Post the URL. I'll post various screen shots showing you
>>> why this is a horrible idea.
>> Why should I do that?
>
> Because it appears to be the only way you can be convinced.
>
> If you don't want your site to work for all your viewers, keep on
> the way you are.

It's not hard to put up screen shots at 640 * 480 and say look at
how bad that is. It's another thing to actually design a good looking
site that has complex content. I have rarely seen it done.

Even Ed has trouble:

http://edmullen.net/ireland01.php

Note horizontal scrollbars at under 1024, and this is not complex work.

There is a lot of fine theory derived from simple work that I simply
have not seen applied to commercially viable work. Design is important,
that is why virtually all good looking (and much of the butt ugly) work
is fixed width. To criticize is easy, to accomplish, damn hard.

Jeff