From: dorayme on
In article <hjpi55$69k$1(a)news.albasani.net>,
jeff <jeff_thies(a)att.net> wrote:

> Even Ed has trouble:
>
> http://edmullen.net/ireland01.php
>
> Note horizontal scrollbars at under 1024, and this is not complex work.

I don't get these?

--
dorayme
From: Mason C on
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:38:54 +1100, dorayme <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Can we please stop all this at this point? No good can come of
>it. Mason, stop teasing every one until you know a bit more.

So I'm responsible for all the responses and arguments in this thread?
And I shouldn't respond to challenges and rude remarks?
And Stan Brown is right:

"> What screen size should one design for?
After all these years, that's not a serious question, is it?"

dorayme, stop posting to a "not serious question."

masonc (I'll start a new not-serious thread.)
From: jeff on
Mason C wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:38:54 +1100, dorayme <doraymeRidThis(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Can we please stop all this at this point? No good can come of
>> it. Mason, stop teasing every one until you know a bit more.
>
> So I'm responsible for all the responses and arguments in this thread?
> And I shouldn't respond to challenges and rude remarks?
> And Stan Brown is right:

I'm actually the one responsible for the heresy of saying the reality
is 1024. Dorayme is in the middle (at least in setting min-width and
max-width), so is Mason, more or less. Everyone else is an unrealistic
idealist or thinks all websites should essentially be single column.

We actually started with every website being fluid width, circa early
90's. They weren't much to look at. Many of the examples posted of fluid
width aren't much to look at either.

I've never said, don't do fluid width. I have always said it is
harder to make a complex site (which most are these days) than it is to
say just do it. And frankly, most web surfers outside these groups,
expect fixed width.

If you do fluid width, background images are your friend. So is
max-width and min-width.

Jeff
From: Gregor Kofler on
jeff meinte:

> It's not hard to put up screen shots at 640 * 480 and say look at
> how bad that is. It's another thing to actually design a good looking
> site that has complex content. I have rarely seen it done.
>
> Even Ed has trouble:

Is Ed some authority on fluid design?

> http://edmullen.net/ireland01.php
>
> Note horizontal scrollbars at under 1024, and this is not complex work.

*Well under* 1024 - and what do you want to prove? The images on the
page are that wide. Small wonder that you get scrollbars.

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: jeff on
Gregor Kofler wrote:
> jeff meinte:
>
>> It's not hard to put up screen shots at 640 * 480 and say look at
>> how bad that is. It's another thing to actually design a good looking
>> site that has complex content. I have rarely seen it done.
>>
>> Even Ed has trouble:
>
> Is Ed some authority on fluid design?

Few people are. It's kind of a Republican idea, Oh don't do that. Well
how to successfully do what you want, if it isn't a trivial case?

>> http://edmullen.net/ireland01.php
>>
>> Note horizontal scrollbars at under 1024, and this is not complex work.
>
> *Well under* 1024 - and what do you want to prove? The images on the
> page are that wide. Small wonder that you get scrollbars.

Sure. There are lots of gotchas and images are part of this. A lot of
images, particularly those with hard images such as graphics don't scale
well for such tricks as setting widths as percentages.

This isn't easy. Telling someone do the hard thing (and once more
fluid *is* easy for simple sites) when virtually everyone else is doing
fixed and the world is used to fixed, and sloughing off the problems is
disingenuous.

Dorayme comes closest in suggesting to design for a range of widths,
not every width. Even that has real complications.

I think a thread dealing with some of the complications, and possible
solutions is in order.

Jeff