From: Maxwell Lol on

>>> @mail = split(/\nFrom /,$mboxfile);

> It's easy to shoot yourself in the foot with any language. The above
> code assumes that the file is already stored in the variable $mboxfile.
> Any language--even $YOUR_FAVORITE_LANGUAGE--can do this. Please don't
> spread FUD about something that's possible with any tool. Beyond that,
> the above regex will run into problems parsing mailboxes.

As I said, this will work if your mailboxes purposely prevent lines
starting with "From" to come in umodified.

Sendmail has an option to do this, so mailboxes do exist with this
characteristic. I use it to convert messages into digest format.

However, Chris makes a good point.
From: John Kelly on
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:19:25 -0400, Maxwell Lol <nospam(a)com.invalid>
wrote:

>As I said, this will work if your mailboxes purposely prevent lines
>starting with "From" to come in umodified.

>Sendmail has an option to do this

I would like to know the sendmail option.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Bill Marcum on
On 2010-06-16, Tuxedo <tuxedo(a)mailinator.com> wrote:
> Chris Nehren wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Silly mortal, assuming software adheres to standards. Have you watched
>> that video yet? :)
>
> I watched about half of "Email hatest the Living" on Google, entertaining
> stuff! I will watch the rest.
>
> In case of Thunderbird mbox format, the mbox files normally begin with
> 'From', at least so it does in other working T-Bird mail files from the
> same system where the 2.8GB mail file comes from. It appears that T-Bird is
> using some compression format when an mbox file hits a certain size:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Talk:Thunderbird:2.0_Product_Planning#Auto_compress_folders_after_relative_changes_in_size
>
> If I only knew which, I could try and uncompress it.

Try the "file" command?

--
[It is] best to confuse only one issue at a time.
-- K&R
From: Maxwell Lol on
John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> writes:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 06:26:28 +0000 (UTC), Chris Nehren
> <apeiron(a)invalid.isuckatdomains.localhost.net> wrote:
>
>>> It's easy to shoot yourself in the foot with Perl.
>
>>It's easy to shoot yourself in the foot with any language. The above
>>code assumes that the file is already stored in the variable $mboxfile.
>>Any language--even $YOUR_FAVORITE_LANGUAGE--can do this. Please don't
>>spread FUD about something that's possible with any tool.
>
> Sorry, I couldn't resist. But it is "easy" with Perl ;-)

It's even easier with "rm" - Better not use that either, :-)
From: Maxwell Lol on
Tuxedo <tuxedo(a)mailinator.com> writes:

> I'm not sure how to do that with vi and emacs. I don't think any editor
> will actually open the file.

Emacs will open and edit large binary files.