From: Maxwell Lol on
John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:19:25 -0400, Maxwell Lol <nospam(a)com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>As I said, this will work if your mailboxes purposely prevent lines
>>starting with "From" to come in umodified.
>
>>Sendmail has an option to do this
>
> I would like to know the sendmail option.

It's only an option when it processes incoming mail messages (port
25). So it won't help your problem. I have a mail server, and it uses
this option when it saves mail into a file.
From: Tuxedo on
John Kelly wrote:

[...]

> It is. You could read the Mozilla source and try to hack out your own
> solution. But as for shell related solutions, I think we have reached
> the point of diminishing returns.

Yes, I agree, it's now off-topic here. I will search for relevant Mozilla
groups/forums/docs.

Thanks for the advise, especially on dd procedures.

Tuxedo

From: Ben Bacarisse on
Tuxedo <tuxedo(a)mailinator.com> writes:

> John Kelly wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> It is. You could read the Mozilla source and try to hack out your own
>> solution. But as for shell related solutions, I think we have reached
>> the point of diminishing returns.
>
> Yes, I agree, it's now off-topic here. I will search for relevant Mozilla
> groups/forums/docs.

Just in case you missed the suggestion a while back... have you tried
the file command? It may be able to tell you the format if it is some
standard compressed file. It is worth while simply because it takes no
more than a second to try.

--
Ben.
From: Jon LaBadie on
Tuxedo wrote:

> Thanks for any advise or theories on how this possibly corrupt mbox may be
> reinvigorated and viewed.

You have been calling this an "mbox" file. But it does not start with "From "
Does it have ANY "From " lines?

grep '^From ' <your_mbox_file>

If so, perhaps grep's -n option will tell you the first line beginning
a valid mbox format message. You might then use head(1) to retrieve the
leading "binary garbage" and deal with that separately. The messages
following the leading garbage could be retrieved with tail(1).
From: Tuxedo on
Ben Bacarisse wrote:

[...]

> Just in case you missed the suggestion a while back... have you tried
> the file command? It may be able to tell you the format if it is some
> standard compressed file. It is worth while simply because it takes no
> more than a second to try.

I didn't miss it, there always seems to exist a new and interesting command
to try. Unfortunately the output is a bit vague on this particular file:

$ file MyBigCrapBox
MyBigCrapBox: data

So it just returns 'data'. I guess it is 'compacted' Mozilla mailbox data.
I'm searching various Mozilla related sites for possible solutions. At the
same time I have a feeling even if there is some way to 'uncompact' the
data my system will likely run out of memory while trying to do so. I guess
I could split the file first with dd, but then it might not work to
uncompact properly.

Thanks for the tip.
Tuxedo