From: John Kelly on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:04:03 +0200, Tuxedo <tuxedo(a)mailinator.com>
wrote:

>I did 'man dd' but remain somewhat puzzled... I'm not familiar with the
>command line options. I know I'm asking free advise here, but how would you
>divide a file named for example myBigCrapBox into ten pieces using dd ?

"count" limits the number of blocks copied

"seek" determines the starting block

"bs" sets the block size, for example bs=4k

"if" is your input file

"of" is your output file (creates if not existing)

Experiment with some junk file till you get the hang of it. But be
careful, you can really hurt yourself with dd while logged in as root.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: John Kelly on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:20:20 +0000, John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:

>"seek" determines the starting block

Whoops! I meant skip, not seek

>Experiment with some junk file till you get the hang of it. But be
>careful, you can really hurt yourself with dd while logged in as root.

See what I mean

From: Tuxedo on
John Kelly wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:20:20 +0000, John Kelly <jak(a)isp2dial.com> wrote:
>

> >"seek" determines the starting block
>
> Whoops! I meant skip, not seek
>

> >Experiment with some junk file till you get the hang of it. But be
> >careful, you can really hurt yourself with dd while logged in as root.
>
> See what I mean

I think this is all too complex for my basic understanding of dd :-)

Tuxedo
From: John Kelly on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 18:46:54 +0200, Tuxedo <tuxedo(a)mailinator.com>
wrote:

>> >"seek" determines the starting block
>>
>> Whoops! I meant skip, not seek
>>

>> >Experiment with some junk file till you get the hang of it. But be
>> >careful, you can really hurt yourself with dd while logged in as root.
>>
>> See what I mean
>
>I think this is all too complex for my basic understanding of dd :-)

The five parameters I listed are all you need to break up the big file.
If that seems too complex, you may be unable to solve your puzzle.

From: Tuxedo on
John Kelly wrote:

> >> Whoops! I meant skip, not seek

> >> See what I mean
> >
> >I think this is all too complex for my basic understanding of dd :-)
>
> The five parameters I listed are all you need to break up the big file.
> If that seems too complex, you may be unable to solve your puzzle.

Yes, it's beyond me. The syntax described in the man page is not clear to
me as now is the first time I've come across the command and I'm not a
programmer. There is not even an example in the in the man page on my
system. I will search for some.

Thanks for putting me on track.

Tuxedo